Entry Thread. Turning the World to Darkness: Etheral

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
Theme: Etheral

Seeing as I have won the last competition, I am proposing this one right now. All kinds of ghosts, spirits, phantoms, phantasms, haunts, spectres, wraiths, banshees, etc. are welcome! And to get some rules lawyering done - we will accept normal 'solid' miniatures painted etherally, whispy, ghostly miniatures painted realistically (something like GW proposes for their Nighthaunts right now), both of those at once and everything in between! Just no bony or fleshy undead here, please ;) All sizes are allowed, heroes, units, monsters - as long as it's etheral, it's good to go!

Nighthaunts got expanded recently and people are painting their ghostly armies right now, this should get at least some traction ;)

Original models and conversions allowed.

The Prize: The winner earns the glory and a place in the Hall of Infamy thread. The winner also gets to select the theme of the next painting challenge (note that the winner only has a weekend to present the decision, so please be prepared and available).

The Rules:
  • All models entered should not have been painted more than a year ago from the date the entry thread is closed. This will not be enforced but violators will politely be asked to retract their entry.
  • All miniatures presented must have been painted by the entrant.
  • Max one entry per person.
  • Max 3 images per entry (including pictures in collages), of reasonable size.
  • No voting for your own entry.
  • No model can be entered into several challenges.
  • For every started set of 5 entries, each member gets a single vote (for example: with 7 entries everyone would get 2 votes).
  • Open entries and open voting. Everyone can see who painted what.
  • Models can be of any manufacturer and conversion but must fulfill all the criteria of the given theme.
  • If no decision on the next theme is made within a week of the winner announcement, the decision falls to the competition organizer.

The Schedule:
Week 1, Monday: Theme announcement and entry thread created
Week 7, Sunday: Entry thread closed. Voting thread opened.
Week 8, Friday: Voting thread closed. Result announced. Winner asked about next theme.

Because the voting was delayed a bit and I am posting this on Tuesday, we will start the official countdown from the next Monday - but you can all start working now ;)

This thread is now open for people to post their entries. Please state a name of the miniature along with the pictures (ex: Vampire Lord or Countess Squigmachine). The thread closes on the 23rd of September 2018 at (roughly) 23:59 CET.

And a list of subscribers who will get a notification about the competition (you don't have to be listed here to enter!):

@robtion
@Adam_Barrow
@Eyeless
@Mad 'At
@Azakael
@Shadespyre
@Farmer7574
@Devour the Cabbage
@Nikos
@Leithel
@Mioum
@Angie
@Sessioni
@Pigbones
@Raizi
@Nagash Worshiper
@Unas the slayer
@edwardvlad
@Theerteen
 
I don't think I'm going to paint anything else suitable soon, so I will enter my recently painted Wraiths

DSC01066_zps09wolsld.webp

DSC01067_zpskh34sfhn.webp
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Farmer7574
@Shadespyre Really cool. Love the suble shading and glossy robes.

I will paint something easy up as ethereal is quickish but not sure if i can get a decent photo. Really need to get a new camera or phone.

Sidenote: I know this is not the place to post it but a heads up for you guys as I've not mentioned it elsewhere yet. I am considering selling many of my minis including most of those in my plog. Also have tons of unpainted mantic zombies and other misc bits(wood elves, Reaper stuff, Citadel trees, etc). Would love to get rid of everything bulk for a reasonable price. If anyone is interested pm me. Cheers.
 
The Sodden Maiden

In the small fishing village of Brine there once dwelt a damsel who's beauty was so renowned it spread across the land. Gaining the attention of the vampiric nobility who dwelt in the Spire, word soon reached the ears of the envious vampiress who ruled these lands.

Soon after the damsel vanished. Some say she eloped with a handsome prince who had heard of her beauty and become besotted.

Many years later none recognised the damsel when she reappeared, the flesh picked clean from her once stunning face, clothing bedraggled and matted with algae and grime. Wailing with sorrow, night after night she wanders the docks, a corroded anchor clattering along the cobbled streets in her wake.
20180819_124909~2.webp

Sorry once again for poor photo quality. Will buy a working camera one day ;)
 
@robtion Very nice entry, the picture is not perfect, but better than last time ;) And the story is cool too, good work :) Shame to see you sell your collection, but that's something that you want/need to do, then so it is. You should probably post it in your plog, perhaps editing the thread name accordingly to get some more traction.

@Shadespyre Maybe it's the case of not shaking the varnish enough? But then, I have so many problems with my "Matt" Varnish that it could be anything... Army Painter sells "anti shine" stuff, both in pots and as sprays, if you are interested, I heard those work nicely.

And to stay on topic - my entry has the basecoat done, now I need to add some shades and highlights - thankfully monochromatic etherals are pretty easy to paint ;)
 
You know what, despite being knee deep in 40k right now (thanks to AoS being... AoS), I would like to paint something Fantasy! And I might have some etheral stuff in need of paint. Don't hold your breath, and it'll probably won't be spectacular, but I hope I can work on some undead for once!

Edit: @Shadespyre: if you want to get rid of some glossyness, hit it with a light coat of pure Lahmian medium!
 
Here we are.
With the usual staggering quality of the entries that haunts Carpe Noctem challenges, it's an uphill battle, but still we go.

Currently I'm a little annoyed by the usual brilliant green that GW gives as typical ghostly color, and i'm seeing too much nighthaunts armies that are colored in tha same way.
So, I wanted to give to my mortis engine a less vibrant tone, trying to find an effect that was more similar to fog, almost grey, with just a minimal green.

This is Death, that emerges from misty vapors and the only bright tones are limited to the flaming skeletons.

For the base, I wanted to give the visual idea of the Engine that advances across the plain, blighting the fields with its mere presence. The power of undeath burns the living grass, that still resists outside the advancing aura, but it won't last for long...

Hope you like it: The Misty Engine!

0XvIwu7.jpg


uKwXGbJ.jpg


k4S7PVw.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Theerteen

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu