• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Farmer's Undead

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I could post plenty of pictures of my unpainted undead collection, but as I haven't painted any of the army dating back to the old Warhammer Armies: Undead force that I first fielded, it would be a long wait to see painted models of any description from me :D.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
That filler indeed looks cool xD And I think I would steal from you the idea of adding roots showing on the ground - that's just too perfect, why I didn't think about it earlier?

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
My remaining 12 zomblins done:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi68.tinypic.com%2F29m0dxk.jpg&hash=e7ff4a8d0aab738d4ac0f76b3929c398

Modeled on 15 bases - these kick start the second zombie unit. I made a few conversions to some of these to differ them from the zomblins I painted the first time round:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi66.tinypic.com%2Fezokm0.jpg&hash=4502aafeb2e18b990fe4a3b1d1ccdc13

I'm quite pleased with the guy with the axe wedged into his skull :) This one was inspired by @Adam_Barrow 's zombie ogre sketches he did a while back.

And here's a few shots of the filler:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi63.tinypic.com%2Ff0bvhf.jpg&hash=13ca9374ea23d7a2e34c012e2be11353

@Irisado Aside from the past 5 years I was in the same boat mate - tonnes of unfinished minis since the 'Undead' army book. xD

@Borgnine Thanks mate. I had no intention of making those roots at first but overestimated the amount of green stuff I needed to mix, therefore sculpted these as I didn't want it to go to waste :)

Thanks for taking a look, more stuff in the works.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Very nice pale green on their faces, blood looks great on it :) Is whole of your second unit going to be made out of those zomblins, or will be they mixed with other races?

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
This one is ready for some paint:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi68.tinypic.com%2F29coped.jpg&hash=800fc3f8d858dc4b76ad4b779f274c22

All the pre-assembly painting is done and some details have been added. I decided to fill that large space below the cage with half a zombie clawing his way along to feast on some innards that have fallen out of the poor guy hanging from the front branch.

@Menkeroth They're pretty crude sculpts but are cool enough for zombies. Being an avid O&G painter too, I had to get some of these for my VC army as soon as I found out about them :)

@Borgnine Thanks mate, the blood is one thing I'm really happy about among my zombies.

Those are the last of the zomblins I own, so they'll be blended among human zombies and probably another zombie ogre when I work on the second half of the unit. I may also add some chaos warriors for my zombie units – I've always been tempted to paint some fantasy chaos but never have. Also, used scarcely, I feel like the rusty armour could provide a nice break in the mass of rotten flesh in the unit. (This may be the start of the same road that @Mad 'At and yourself have gone down, using lots of different races in your zombie units xD...)

Cheers for taking a look, more coming soon.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
It would be most awesome seeing you amass such a crazy mixed horde but I also have to warn you that it isn't easy and is somehow addicting xD

The filler looks awesome, especially that part with that 'pile' of guts lying on the ground underneath the hanged man - nice piece of narration. I also have to admit that your lean tree looks much better than mine superthick one :thumbsup: Also, the skeleton in the cage looks pretty comfy there xD

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Here's the completed zombie filler:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi66.tinypic.com%2F6eekyb.jpg&hash=79bd988c851e4ae9a70bc0e5b5e5684a

My take on one of Borgnine's zombie filler ideas – I'm a big fan of this one as it gives a lot of character to the unit. Here are some more shots:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi68.tinypic.com%2F2uejtc7.jpg&hash=a268a592fc55b606936c42a601ca056c

This filler puts the second zombie unit at 25 right now, where it'll stay while I work on some bigger and nastier things than zombies...

As requested earlier @Nagash Worshiper , the old school wight king alongside his minions:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi66.tinypic.com%2F24wu1yx.jpg&hash=08d9aaace1b440f4bee0f0cfddb13aa4

Sorry it's been a while, I forgot to take the pic last time and almost forgot to take it again this time round. :lol:

@Borgnine I agree with you mate, after seeing you amass all kinds of zombies over the better part of a year it's extremely tempting to follow suit and pick up all kinds of bits, but it's also quite daunting :D Alas, I have gone and picked up some cheap chaos warriors and put a few simple ones together ready for zombiefication in the future :)

Glad you like the filler - it's a great idea of yours that I'm happy to have gone and added to my zombies. Hats off to you for the inspiration ;)

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
The old school Wight King looks even better leading those skeletons. I have that model, but I know that I'll never paint it. I'll just imagine that it looks as good as yours :D. Fantastic work Farmer :).

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
It's really nice to see how well you executed this idea of mine on that filler :) Wider base gives some more room and the torn guy looks just amazing! I also really like the color scheme, all the nice, earthy tones. The zombie crawling on the ground looks almost camouflaged, though, he'll be completely invisible when surrounded by his pals, so that's a bit of a shame. Still, great filler and I am looking forward to more! That Krell too, I expected him to stand out a lot, but he seems to fit really well in that unit :thumbsup:

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
It's been quite hectic these days and little has been happening on the hobby front, but I have done some stuff - mostly pre-paint work on various things.

First up, some half-assembled Vargs:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi63.tinypic.com%2Fwiokl5.jpg&hash=9bebbd82b0a4779e97a53e419a3aabf4

I've had these 6 for a few years and decided I'd opt for getting these done before investing in some Kurnoth Hunters and working on my variation of 'Cypt Horrors'.

These guys are ready to have their wings attached and get some paint, just my indecisiveness has got me stuck on a suitable colour scheme. I found this image online and, despite the fact it lacks blue, I think it could work with my army quite well:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi66.tinypic.com%2F24b5314.jpg&hash=3820952d949aa3aa2f7de2e0c7104120

The dark grey I used on the dark zombies and the reddish brown I used on Krell's fur with white eyes should make for a decent combination on the earthy-toned bases... thoughts?

Next up, I caved and ended up buying the hunters anyway:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi67.tinypic.com%2F2nrcx2g.jpg&hash=a878530436bf9760d55833a48acc0d51

I've mostly been shaving mold lines off parts in my work breaks but have been doing a little bit of dry-fit experimenting. This image shows Dryad branches stuck to his back to make him look more tree-like. I think I'm also going to cut out their weird heart things in their abdomen and replace them with skulls entwined with vines - this could spur a bit of back story along the lines of their creation, something along the lines of dark magic seeped from buried necromancers' bones into the tree and brought them to unlife.

I originally intended to convert the Kurnoth guys' heads to look meaner, but I think ghouls' heads could work better with a bit of green stuff and some branches...

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi67.tinypic.com%2F2wdvnua.jpg&hash=e603f177bac27f51028cb6116aed8603

@Irisado Cheers mate. Glad you like the shot of him amongst his minions – photographing characters alongside rank & file troops is something I never really bother doing. I'll have to start doing that :)

It's a shame you're not planning to get your classic wight king painted up, I always find it cool looking through the Unholy Masterpieces 'Show Us Your …' threads and taking a look at peoples' different takes on miniatures. Some really inspiring work in there...

@Borgnine Thanks a lot mate, it's one of many great ideas of yours and I'm glad you like my take on it! I was going to go for blue on the crawling zombie's clothing but thought I'd just stick to earthy tones. He'll be a bit disguised among the others as you mentioned but I know he's there, so it's all good :) I suppose that's one of the things about our hobby; we spend time painting every little detail that they all just meld together and don't really get noticed individually since they all work together to make something intriguing to look at as a whole.

I wasn't aware this classic wight was a previous version of Krell – he does look a lot like the previous version of the man himself!

Thanks for taking a look. Let me know what you all think, cheers :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Oh, how stoked I am to see you starting some new exciting projects! The color scheme from the game looks like a perfect fit for your army - even more if you can add some blue hues to it. Maybe to the wings, as veins? Or highlighted parts of the skin? Could be cool.

As for those hunters, they look like a real treat - I am really looking forward to them. Putting skulls inside their bellies is an awesome idea, reminds me of my necrosphinx ;) Adding those branches was a good call, but I'm not so sure about the ghoul head. While I love the fact that they are disproportionately small relatively to the body, I think that they look a bit too fleshy for that body. Maybe those branches and greenstuff would remedy that. Also, just as throwing some ideas around - how about those tyranid skulls from that big skull set that GW released some time ago?

As for him being Krell, I also didn't know he was Krell, so that's a strange mistake on my part... I even looked on google to search for his older models, but this one didn't show up a single one, so I don't know how did I mix that... :rolleyes:

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
It's a shame you're not planning to get your classic wight king painted up, I always find it cool looking through the Unholy Masterpieces 'Show Us Your …' threads and taking a look at peoples' different takes on miniatures. Some really inspiring work in there...
I can't paint for toffee, so it's actually a good thing for all the members here that I haven't painted any of my undead/Vampire Counts/Death (depending on which edition or game you all play or have played) army. I wouldn't want to traumatise anyone :D. One day, I will pay someone to paint everything, but that's some way off.

Regarding your colour scheme issue of the Vargheists, I would definitely recommend using the Total Warhammer colour scheme. If you haven't looked at the game, take a look at a let's play on You Tube to see them in action and you will get a good idea of their colours from that. I think that this colour scheme would suit your army.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
It's been absolutely crazy over the past few weeks since me and the missus have just tied the knot!

On the hobby front, some bits n bobs have been happening though so I thought I'd throw a few ideas/pictures here for some feedback.

First up, I realized that I was hard pressed to get my competition entry done in time so put together a quick substitute for it - a wight king using 'The Champion' from the Sepulchral Guard:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi66.tinypic.com%2F2s1aptz.jpg&hash=8f8095542caf03e5a30c99035694e1a5

I painted him up pretty much as simply as possible as I wanted him done quickly. After finishing him I read that the deadline had been extended a week, so we may yet still see the BSB in time depending on how my week goes :lol:

Next is my WIP winged vampire conversion:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi63.tinypic.com%2Foapy7s.jpg&hash=cc2f36309ac4b386392cfe8f87106076

Valkia is an awesome mini which I thought would make a nice addition to my army in the way of a winged vamp. She's a far better candidate for a winged vamp than the regular mini, but I've had to do away with her bean-shaped head and give her some elfy bits instead, and I've also removed all Chaos icons from her armour and wings.

A few things here though; I'm very happy with the head swap but my main issues are her weapon and shield – I'm not sure whether I should keep the spear or swap it for the dark elf sword. I love the sword but think the positioning of the spear looks striking. I'm also wandering if the shield suits her... And with that said, there's also option X (not pictured), which would be a dual-wield conversion using this sword and probably another elfy sword laying about in my bitz box somewhere.

Then we have minor progress on the crypt horrors:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi67.tinypic.com%2F14o4si.jpg&hash=107d282d1fb0786df6f573443223fb3a

Since my last post I've fitted all the skulls in their abdomens & covered them with vines (not too visible here I'm afraid), repositioned their arms and started green stuffing the gaps. I've trialled the dryad talons and some look cool whilst most seem too small for this size of monster – I've bought some pins so I can make my own talons where required as I'm going for big menacing-looking branch-like talons.

While I'm pretty happy with my ideas for these minis, the biggest thing still getting me is the head. As you can see I've experimented (again with the ghoul head) by adding a big leafy beard to him. If I were to use this head like this I'd probably end up cutting away his ears, lips and nose then add jagged green stuff teeth – that should get rid of his fleshy appearance. I'd also be tempted to experiment with adding small branches coming from his head. Thoughts?

Regarding earlier posts, apologies for the late replies gents:

@Borgnine You're definitely onto something there with the tyranid skulls... If only I had one to give it a go. I'm going to explore other ideas first though since being a VC painter and spending £15 on a box of skulls just seems wrong :tongue:

I also agree with your opinion on the disproportionate head here – it works well. I tried a few different heads (crypt horror, vargheist, skull, orc) and found the ghoul head the most suitable thus far. I think a bit of conversion work could really make it work...

@Irisado Totally agree on your opinion about the colour scheme mate. I've got a few concepts in the works to share probably in my next post. :thumbsup:

Cheers for your feedback guys, very much appreciated :)

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Great work! I like that skeleton, and in fact the whole box for Shadespire is great in its own right. Keep it up!

P.S. Also I've noted how you transformed that poor tree into a horror. He clearly is enraged by the mutation. That's what I call "necromantic energy influence at work" ^_^

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Yes! Shadespire skeletons painted by Farmer! That wight king looks serious as hell, intimidating as it should be ;) Sorry for not noticing the deadline matter earlier - but still, this one guy is a plenty good entry too!

As for the flying vampire - it's nice to finally see what did you use ;) I also thought about converting her too, but I probably won't do it - so seeing you doing it is a nice opportunity to see how can it be done :) A witch elf head is a good call - and from the two options I totally vote for the spear - not only it's striking, but it also fits the pose and the character perfectly well. And I like spears too. As for the shield - that was one of the things that kept putting me off when considering converting her - it's just too busy, to chaos-y. Do you still have some of those resin shields that you used on your black knights? Maybe it could work well here?

The Crypt Horror is an awesome piece too. Seconding @Menkeroth here, he really looks mad about his fate ;) Yeah, the small head fits him really well. If it'll be optically 'mixed' with the branches around his shoulders that should make for a cool, unsettling effect. I wonder though, do you need the head if you are going to cut so much away and replace it with jagged greenstuff? Wouldn't it be easier to do it from scratch?

And regarding your reply - well, I am for one, absolutely buying that skull set at some point - you don't get orc, giant and other such exotic skulls in your typical skeleton box ;) But I get your point too :)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Some very quick test schemes for my Vargs:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi65.tinypic.com%2Fayrk85.jpg&hash=18b645aa84b25e956649599678c41fd1

Once again, point of reference:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi66.tinypic.com%2F24b5314.jpg&hash=3820952d949aa3aa2f7de2e0c7104120

Painting wing membranes is new to me so just looking for some feedback on what I've painted here. The left image is a base of Mournfang washed with Nuln Oil, then layered up using lighter reddish-brown tones. The image on the right is after I tried some different glazes over each part.

I plan on painting the flesh either the same tone as the vamp (Rakarth > Pallid) or more likely as the dark zombies I painted a while back (Stormvermin > Rakarth). I'm also wandering if a grey to brown fade from the inner-most part of the membrane going outwards would look decent...

@Menkeroth The Shadespire set is a cool bunch of minis – they make great characters for WFB! My missus got me them for Christmas for that exact reason back when I had no interest in trying the game. I've got a second set for the game since I have plans for the original set :)

Glad that horror gives you that impression – enraged tree monster is exactly what I'm after. I'm hoping they'll have that appearance once I'm finished with them :)

@Borgnine Only one Shadespire mini squared away for now mate, but I have plans for the next one over the summer.

I'd definitely love to see your take on a Valkia conversion if you ever find yourself with nothing to do for a few weeks :D Regarding this conversion... The spear definitely has the majority of votes amongst people I've asked. I definitely see why too – it's an intimidating pose! I do have some of those shields spare and have yet to experiment with them, I'll play around with them and see how one looks.

Regarding the horrors... Although I'm comfortable sculpting simple things like belts and fingers, I'm not sure sculpting an entire head (or 6) is within my ability. Having mulled on it a bit, I think I'll go ahead and pick up those skulls after all and give the tyranid ones a go. Looking through the sprues on GW's site I've found that the variety is pretty decent. Worst case scenario - I'll have a load of extras for conversions later on ;)

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
It looks very good to me so far. I'm not an expert at all on painting techniques, but I think that the colour looks just about spot on, so keep going :).

So much beautiful things i saw here i don't really know wich i prefer. Krell ? The Hexwraith ? The unit-fillers ? All of them looks great really great in fact. Even the small minions for wich you quality photos make honor.

I appreciate the references for your color schema or inspiration (TWW or WoW) too, it's always nice to see where others find ideas ^^

Can't wait to see your hulking crypt horror :happy:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Aah, the wing membranes, those are fun to paint :) Lines and ridges make them easy to highlight and use shades, while the simple general shapes makes it obvious what should be dark and what light. I like what you are doing with them and from the three glazed versions I like the top one the most, it's both the reddest and the dirtiest too, would fit those beasts very nice!

I have no idea what shade of skin would fit them best in this situation, but I would be wary of blending the membranes with the skin too much - if that's the effect you're trying to achieve with adding that fade from grey to brown. A clear border between the skin and the membranes make them pop out more, creating a stronger image - at least that's the impression I have after seeing some of those all over the internet. Just throwing some ideas around ;)

Good luck with those fancy skulls, I am waiting forward to some news on that front :)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
It's been a while since I've managed to get anything done but here's my recent progress on my 6 Vargs. I've had these chaps laying about for a few years and have finally got the pre-assembly painting done and stuck them together. These sculpts are pretty wicked – they really get the nature of Vargs across, but the kits aren't too great in the way of positioning options. So...

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi63.tinypic.com%2F334nmtu.jpg&hash=432426d87bf16698fd33171b00cb1a36

... I've done 3 as per the instruction booklet and...

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi68.tinypic.com%2F52i328.jpg&hash=55f92eb062f6781e69c6fdc6e5d0270c

...3 conversions.

I took a page out of @Mad 'At 's book here and decided to convert the second box as he converted his for some variety. As you can see, they need some green stuff work done on their shoulders and also basing before they get some paint.

Here's a clearer shot of the pre-assembly paint job, this gives a decent idea of what I'm aiming for on the wing membranes:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.tinypic.com%2F2qnqj44.jpg&hash=48ac7f06e974520faba11d9b9e571eff

This currently lacks a final wash, which will redden up the colours making them look more like my target image posted above.

Regarding earlier posts:

@Irisado Cheers mate, glad you like the colour scheme. I made some adjustments when working on the bigger wings and have (hopefully) improved it.

@vg11k Thanks mate, glad you like my work. I'm a slow painter but like to spend time on things :) More coming in the near future but I'm afraid those horrors are on hold for a bit while I clear my painting table :D

@Borgnine Cheers mate. I found the membranes a bit tedious to paint, although maybe thats just the hot weather killing my patience xD I've opted for a skin tone quite similar to my dark zombies; Stormvermin Fur layered up with Rakarth Flesh and highlighted with mixes of Pallid... I think that should work nicely with the red tones.

I ended up going for some blending on the membranes but only on the inner-most points, so there's a clear definition of where red and grey will be but also a mild transition their too. I'm hoping it'll work well :)

Thanks for your comments guys and apologies for the long overdue replies and update.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
The colour on the wings for the work in progress models looks great from where I am sitting. I look forward to seeing how these Vargheists develop.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Good to see new things coming from you again! It's a shame that football not only delays movie premieres but also your updates! Well, that and the heat ;)

I was unsure about that blending on the membranes, but you made them work really well! They look really promising!