• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

woodster17

Skeleton
May 21, 2012
Milton Keynes, UK
MoridinUK said:
woodster17 said:
That was certainly an interesting tutorial. If Vallejo do a glaze that's similar in colour to any light blue from the citadel paints then it would get the look i'm going for over a basecoat. Cheers Moridin, will take a look.

I think you could use any colour and make the glaze using the medium. 1 part colour to twelve parts glaze. May make a bit much if you are playing with a single model but I thought that was the idea.

In the tutorial he starts with a glaze that is mostly the base coat and moves up, doing several layers until the last glaze is just the highlight colour.

Then he made up a 1:12 wash of the base colour and washed the model to smooth out any banding...

A bit paint by numbers but a similar thing should work!

Ah! Ok I understand now. I misread and thought it was 1 part water to however many parts coloured glaze but the glaze is a standard clear and the colour would change intensity depending on ratio. That's interesting. You could conceivably work down something like a robe using increasing ratio's and have a blend effect. That would make things much more simple. Be an awful lot of effort but there are only 5 wraiths so probably worth it. Thanks for the advice.

MoridinUK

Skeleton
Feb 11, 2012
woodster17 said:
MoridinUK said:
woodster17 said:
That was certainly an interesting tutorial. If Vallejo do a glaze that's similar in colour to any light blue from the citadel paints then it would get the look i'm going for over a basecoat. Cheers Moridin, will take a look.

I think you could use any colour and make the glaze using the medium. 1 part colour to twelve parts glaze. May make a bit much if you are playing with a single model but I thought that was the idea.

In the tutorial he starts with a glaze that is mostly the base coat and moves up, doing several layers until the last glaze is just the highlight colour.

Then he made up a 1:12 wash of the base colour and washed the model to smooth out any banding...

A bit paint by numbers but a similar thing should work!

Ah! Ok I understand now. I misread and thought it was 1 part water to however many parts coloured glaze but the glaze is a standard clear and the colour would change intensity depending on ratio. That's interesting. You could conceivably work down something like a robe using increasing ratio's and have a blend effect. That would make things much more simple. Be an awful lot of effort but there are only 5 wraiths so probably worth it. Thanks for the advice.

I intend to try this on my hex's shortly! Starting with a naggartoth thingy as base and a xeres purple as the highlight! Need to find some way to measure medium though...

MoridinUK

Skeleton
Feb 11, 2012
Santawraith said:
Here is a close up of one of the bases.
avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2012_04_20120422_180433.jpg

Where did you get these bases from? I'm thinking awesome to go under a spirit host!
Edit: I think I've found them here but they only do 40mm base and the Spirithoses belong on a 50mm... sigh...

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
as mad at said they are 40mm actaully and that is what I intended mine for.

I got them from the local store he got them in as a free trial.

MoridinUK

Skeleton
Feb 11, 2012
Santawraith said:
as mad at said they are 40mm actaully and that is what I intended mine for.

I got them from the local store he got them in as a free trial.

Well I bought my spirit host from ebay and they came with 50mm bases... But indeed the GW site says 40 mm! So I actually need bases for them.. ;)

SotF

Grave Guard
Dec 22, 2010
Ohio
ai63.photobucket.com_albums_h142_Darth_Sephiroth_Painted_20Minis_DSC00237.jpg

Unless otherwise stated, I'm using the Mantic Army Painter paints. This is the mini.

Basecoat white. For this I used Applebarrel's white from Walmart. It tends to work well and leaves a nice surface to work from that seems to absorb my "ink" later on at just the right amount.

Paint the sash blue. Dot the Eyes as well and drybrush the hair.

50/50 White (Normal Army Painter White) and Blue to lightly drybrush the hair and over the energy at her feet and the sash.

Then take blue paint and about 1 drop for 8 drops water for a thin blue ink wash. Give several washes of this until you get the look you want and get the right definition of the features from it.

Omen of Souls

Zombie
Jun 3, 2012
Painting ethereal green

I'm paging through some wraith ideas right now looking for the right color scheme. I like the greenish cloak the wraith in the VC book has, but I'm not sure how to accomplish it. Does anyone have any advice?

con-fusion

Grave Guard
May 17, 2012
RE: Painting ethereal green

I've been playing with using glazes to tint models painted monochromatic froom black up to white. I elected to try this technique out on a banshee. Here"s what I did:

I started by priming with Reaper black paint on primer. I prefer paint on primer because it gives a nice even coat without the risk of fuzzing.

Then, I used the large 1/4 stipple brush to drybrush in layers up to P3 Morrow White through varying degrees of Greatcloak Grey, Ironhull Grey, Bastion Grey, and Cryx Base Highlight. Note that I added a small amount of Goldens Flow Release and Goldens Retarder to the paints, which caused the layers to smear together at the edges.

ai587.photobucket.com_albums_ss319_bkirkell_Warhammer_20Undead_Banshee2.jpg

ai587.photobucket.com_albums_ss319_bkirkell_Warhammer_20Undead_Banshee1.jpg

If I was going for the monochromatic ghostly look, I would have stopped here, added a green glow effect to the eyes, finished the base, sealed, and called it done.

Instead, I selected three main colors to use to glaze the Banshee:

Ryn Flesh (skin)
Ordic Olive (dress)
Bloodtracker Brown (hair)

I mixed my glazes on my wet pallette. The Flow Release has some of the properties of a Retarder, but I figured the moisture would give me more working time. I went by feel on this one. The key is to get the glaze translucent. Given that I was going for a whispy look, I tried to get each glaze looking like this:

ai587.photobucket.com_albums_ss319_bkirkell_Banshee_20WIP_IMAG0396.jpg

I started with the Ryn Flesh. The deepest layers should show little change, but the highlight layers should take on the tone of the Ryn Flesh with gradations created by the grey mid-tones. Brushstrokes should follow the musculature of the arms, face, and neck. If the Ryn Flesh pools opaque, your glaze is too thick. You can use a second brush to collect any extra paint.

After the Ryn Flesh, the Banshee looked like this:

ai587.photobucket.com_albums_ss319_bkirkell_Banshee_20WIP_IMAG0397.jpg

Next, I used the Ordic Olive glaze on the dress. This is where the different grey tones used in the monochromatic highlighting should pay off. Long neat brushstrokes are important here. Small brushstrokes will appear in the white layer, and will make the cloth look funny.

Here's what the Banshee looked like after applying Ordic Olive:

ai587.photobucket.com_albums_ss319_bkirkell_Banshee_20WIP_IMAG0398.jpg

Finally, I used the Bloodtracker Brown on the hair. Again long strokes look best on this surface, following the locks of hair.

After applying the Bloodtracker Brown, the Banshee looked like this:

ai587.photobucket.com_albums_ss319_bkirkell_Banshee_20WIP_IMAG0399.jpg

I let the mini dry, and took these photos in the daylight:

ai587.photobucket.com_albums_ss319_bkirkell_Banshee_20WIP_IMAG0401.jpg

ai587.photobucket.com_albums_ss319_bkirkell_Banshee_20WIP_IMAG0402.jpg

After waiting for the glazes to dry, I looked the mini over.

I decided that the Ryn Flesh glaze provided the whispy etherial feel I wanted but didn't yield the glowing translucence I thought it would. It had more in common with Miranda on the rocks than damned tart looking for payback. So, I applied three additional glazes to the skin. In order, they were Sanguine Highlight, Ryn Flesh again, and Ryn Flesh glaze leftovers mixed in with a liberal amount of Morrow White. My intention was to create a sense of dimension and depth by building up a set of colors that would create a glowing yet unhealthy pallor without wiping out the monochromatic highlighting underneath.

Then, I finished up the remaining stuff (base, eyes, necklace, hole in chest).

Here are the pictures from the morning after:

ai587.photobucket.com_albums_ss319_bkirkell_Banshee_20WIP_BansheeFront2.jpg

ai587.photobucket.com_albums_ss319_bkirkell_Banshee_20WIP_BansheeBack1.jpg

Some things I've learned in the process:

1) Glazes should be applied very neatly. Any cross-bleed with be readily apparent.

2) With some practise, this could prove to be a great way to paint skin. I think translucent tints in layers can be used to add veins, stubble, tattoos, etc.

3) This mini looked more "etherial" before I started messing with the skin tone.

Switchblade

Zombie
Jul 21, 2012
I went with a green scheme for my VC army (theme army based from LotR Army of the Dead), I used Createx Airbrush Pearlized colors. Prime white, heavy wash 5-1 Pearlized white and Pearlized Green, then heavy wash 1-5 Pearlized white and pearlized green, then finally drybrush pearlized white. The Pearlized look gives them a shimmer when exposed to direct sunlight or very bright lights.

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8149_7647718154_1edc03c99f.jpg
IMAG0311 by Switchblade9, on Flickr
afarm9.staticflickr.com_8294_7647716824_af3e4a31e2.jpg
IMAG0312 by Switchblade9, on Flickr

WilsonUndead

Skeleton
Apr 16, 2012
Ontario
i used the same style from the invocation, think it's the 6th, except i used purple wash instead of the usual green or blue. these pictures it's hard to tell, but the colour is much more vibrant. it's a rainy day and i dont own a lightbox, so i did the best i could lol also, things like armour and swords still have to be painted, im doing them normally to make them stand out. havent gotten that far yet, and my hexwraith still needs some work.
ai1249.photobucket.com_albums_hh503_WilsonUndead_th_IMG_1318.jpg
ai1249.photobucket.com_albums_hh503_WilsonUndead_th_IMG_1317.jpg

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mar 3, 2008
Rotterdam
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v610_Bradford79_miniatures_spirithost.jpg

Undercoat black/or white if you'd like it really eye-blinding bright.
1. Base Caliban Green
2. Warboss Green
3. Moot green(mix with fluo paint which is about the same disgusting neon color if you want glow in the dark effect if not skip this boo hiss!). You might want to use a very thing green wash here to get back some detailing for painting ease but apply very thin.
4. Moot Green / White mix about 60/40
5. Final highlights pure white

Now the important things is that I do not drybrush, this makes the colors much more smoother instead of speckled. Not that drybrushing is wrong but with these bright colors drybrushing really shows on them in a not so pretty way.
It still paints ridiculously fast though.

Will add step-by-step pictures soon(doing my Hex Wraiths right now).

Andy2D6

Skeleton
Jun 11, 2012
Gotta say, I really like those, Zephyr.

-------------------------------------------------

Here's my Spirit Host:

as17.postimage.org_jou4lqv73_spirit_host.jpg

Base of Enchanted Blue.
Very Heavy Drybrush of 75% Enchanted Blue + 25% White Mix.
Heavy Drybrush of 50% Enchanted Blue + 50% White Mix.
Medium Drybrush of 25% Enchanted Blue + 75% White Mix.
Light Drybrush of White.

Jul 21, 2010
Santawraith - I did it this way too. The WD article was good. I think it is Warbosstae on yourtube who also painted a Mortis engine this way. Being colour blind, watching where someone puts paint helps :)

I'm thinking of using the same painting style on my hexwraiths. I did not like the greenish GW style.

Elbisrever

Ghoul
Dec 12, 2011
(This has been reposted from the 'Show us your CT/ME'-thread)

ai1281.photobucket.com_albums_a505_ElbisreverTsitra_DSC_0199.jpg

- Skull White base coat
- Thraka Green wash on the entire model aswell
- Drybrush a mix of either Goblin Green or Scorpion Green ( can't really remember, but it would not make to much difference), together with Enchanted Blue, I'd say 6:1 ( as the blue is very dominant) until you have a Mostly greenish ghostly colour
- Use this mix, and add Skull White repeatedly to get the Highlights until some parts are ALMOST only Skull White.
- If you want some parts to be more dark, add some more Thraka Green Wash to it, to give it an extra shadow/depth-effect

- The armour on the Ghosts is simple: Mithril Silver, with a was of ANY Sepia colour ( I used Gryphonne Sepia). Highlight slightly with Mithril Silver again to your liking. Seriously guys, armour this way looks fantastic; old, corroded but still shiny at some spots ( at least that's what I think )

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
Actually already have them

Spirit hosts
Base coat black
Heavy dry brush shadow grey or the fang
Meduim dry brush fortress grey or Administratum grey
Wash badab black or nuln oil
Light dusting skull white / white scar or fortress grey

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Dragon_20Legion_021412spirithost.jpg

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Dragon_20Legion_021912spirithost1.jpg

Ravenstein

Ghoul
Nov 25, 2012
ai91.photobucket.com_albums_k299_carcharadon666_vampire_20counts_DSCF2086.jpg

Very simple to do, very quick. You can do 3 in 30 minutes this way.

1.Undercoat model white.
2.Water down some Waywatcher green glaze. About 3-1 ratio water to glaze.
3 Apply in several thin coats trying to be as smooth as possible. 3 layers should do tricks. At this stage keep gravity in mind when glaze is drying, try not to allow heavy pooling of coloured glaze.
4. Hit the recesses carefully with more than the surface areas.
5. Spray very gently a thin white on top from above (can use airbrush or undercoat white spray from distance.

Job done!

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
So many of you ask me why do I paint my ethereal as shadow people. Many things lead to my love of the shadow people. Here is a tale of one of the reasons. How many have heard of the shadow people or shadow creatures in modern day, paranormal research. That is a main focus of love of my own shadow ethereal, though other factors do contribute. Such as the descriptions in the old Greek tales of shades. Even magic the gathering has played a part in this with a bit of artwork I have always loved.

Shadow people are also known by shadow folk and shadow beings. Thought the last make them sound out of this world though possible they are not of this world and never have been. For some strange unknown reason shadow people are attracted to a person or place, much like a creepy stalker. No one has ever came up with a good explanation for this, though I have read stories of a large gathering of shadow people in graveyards. As if they are attracted to death or suffering, which gives some leverage to the theory they are a demonic entity.

Descriptions of shadow people are often of a shadow of human form, Or black mass in the general humoniod shape yes this is why they are called shadow people. Most accounts are of them being without clothing or other features such as eyes mouth nose. But a few descriptions are of red glowing eyes, which make things sound all the more creepy right? This also explains why in some of my shadow people ethereal the red glowing eye. A few stories talk about the shadow people being like think dark smoke or even floating dark orb’s. But I fancy the first description as it suits my want and need far better. But also one final note in description is they bear no resemblance to people living or dead. Unlike ghosts which often have details such as clothing or resemblance of those we loved who have passed.

The personality of shadow people are described in only one word pure evil. Accounts all over the world all bring back the same descriptions and feelings of overwhelming dread at seeing the shadow’s. Which manifests itself in a number of ways, Intense fear or panic and paralysis to utter and shear terror. Which is often explained by many as humans fear the dark or the unknown. Personally I know better on that part, To me they are like the ultimate essence of pure evil which makes the hair on the back of ones neck stand up on end. There has been a increase in sightings in the last few years which lead many to believe they are a herald of things to come or even a warning.

This picture is showing two shadow people. Possible a fake but maybe not.

avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2013_05_20130515_125812.19a4838561da5d1233808f5f84a20880.jpg

Artist view of shadow people

avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2013_05_20130516_144540.931a314b5fbd0fb6d5047e8c3d4f6fcf.jpg

Now I should paint something for this plog don’t ya all think.

avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2013_05_20130517_155036.0e71a4eec2f78a036e35c2236a898273.jpg

Finishedplan to mix it with my zombies or as I call them my undead Hoarde.

avannahscreations.files.wordpress.com_2013_05_20130518_010110.2471aa2f44e89df68a767ef5bc5a2236.jpg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu