• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

New Nighthaunts

I'm not a fan of this kind of model with tiny parts like the old spirit host. So not very seduced by the reaper, glaive-wraith, executioner and cie. But the chainrasp and the new black coach got my interest in particular. Even if i thought i was done with gw undead mini. For my next year order maybe xD

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Which happens quite often, but I can't really blame GW. Well designed and executed details, especially long ones, always will be fragile, and I find it better than those old and awful thick ones found on old GW models and many modern ones from other companies like Warlord Games. Those are much more like thick and big tree branches than anything else. You find it also on many historical models like from Tamiya and other giants and that was long before GW and other companies.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I'm not very impressed by the models featured in the faction focus. They are too fragile and would be very awkward to assemble, let alone transport in an army case, without breaking something. I've never liked the new Spirit Host models and I certainly dislike the daft blindfolds that are covering the eyes of the Grimghast Reapers.

The rules are a more more appetising prospect though. I can see a Nighthaunt army being a rather scary and durable prospect. I really like the concept a lot.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I really like the new models, though i will be making some adjustments to make some of the flimsier models a bit more durable, mostly in the form of scenic bases to add extra contact points.

The new mounted knight of shrouds in particular looks amazing, imo. Among the best undead models GW has ever put out. And I really like the basic chainrasp guys, especially the unit leader (?) With the candelabra.

All of you talking about fragility must not have dealt with the current skeleton model :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Kidding aside, I think they should be fine in deep pluck foam or custom cut foam. Free floating in a cardboard box....well good luck.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
Even with the foam, you'd still have to be very careful. I speak from experience of transporting fragile models around in heavily padded cases only to have pieces break nevertheless. They just look way too fragile from the pictures. Also, they're going to be hard to fit into the relatively small spaces provided for infantry in a foam tray, even if it is customised, because of the way in which they have been designed.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Magnetizing them and putting them on a metal plate in a box can make them more survivable - well, as long as you don't put anything heavy on that box or put it on the plane...

BTW, it's probably a ploy by GW to make models more breakable - and if not to sell more models to replace the broken ones, then at least some glue ;)

You sound like my grandmother talking about them designing washing machines to fail after x years :tongue::tongue::tongue:

I jest! But back on topic, my experience with foam trays and a good case have been pretty good, with the only breakages happening to models that wiggled their way out of the tray (typically the top most tray) during a car ride or what have you. Hopefully deeper foam or magnetizing them as you said will help to keep our new ethereal comrades battle ready at a moments notice!

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I think the new models are brilliant, especially when I remember what I had to use waaaay back in the 4th edition:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1221.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd464%2Ffannycrowbar%2F4th%2520Edition%2F2015-10-15%252020.04.34_zpsy5tgstra.jpg&hash=91744c1744635078a488d1a1f8fb0dfd

That's an example from WarSeer from someone else.

So the new flowing, proper spirit forms I think work really well. I do share the same concern about robustness though. One thing about the old metal models, bloody hard to break! xD

First of the three named character reveals! We also can see the silhouettes of the other two!

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fwhc-cdn.games-workshop.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F06%2FUKExpo-June1-Nighthaunt9wc.jpg&hash=3050c5a8160bef6a5864e424e6adda01

Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King, is one of the named champions who leads Nagash’s Nighthaunt legions. Serving at the side of his master, the Mortarch of Grief, this arch-plotter and schemer is an incredibly astute – if embittered and cruel – commander. He’s also not afraid to smash some Stormcast skulls with that mace…

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
A musician and a standard bearer all at once! ;) Looks cool indeed, even if that connection with the base is flimsy. Now I'm more interested in that one on the left - GW made a flying, undead horse at last

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
The model reminds me of a cross between the Witch King out of Lord of the Rings and the Liche King from Warcraft III. It's an interesting model, but not one that makes me want to rush down to Warhammer World to buy it.

El Syf

Crypt Horror
Anyone else worried frightful touch isn't a thing for the new night haunts?
I thought it may just have been removed from warscrolls and put in army wide rules but the ethereal rule is on each warscroll...

Anyone else worried frightful touch isn't a thing for the new night haunts?
Not at the moment.
yeah, it would have been nice to have a melee MW factory, but the old models already do that… and it seems that the new night haunts will have different ways to inflict damage: the Lord Executioner will do 2 additional dam for each 6+ to wound (which will be buffed by the Guardian of Soul), so I'm positive about it.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
The Lord Executioner is okay, but I do find the concept a bit too stereotypical. I prefer the concept behind the Guardian of Souls, although elements of its rules are also clearly borrowed from other fantasy settings.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I don't see muself fielding the executioner much. Guardian on the other hand looks like a solid support hero. Better than the torment from the last preview. The chainrasps are about what I expected, and should be quite good as long as they aren't much in excess of 10 points per model.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
Really liking the Guardian quite a lot, depending on what the rest of the army is like I'll most likely be running a few blocks of Chainrasps supported by a couple of Guardians for support. So can't wait to see what rules the black coach has as I would love to have one as a centrepiece model for my army