• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

New Nighthaunts

What gets me is that the big battallion that can only be used in 3500+ point games replaces their allegiance ability with a copy of their allegiance ability.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Not quite. The battalion ability affects units "within" range of your heroes, while the allegiance ability only affects units "entirely within" range. Also, the battalion ability stacks with the shrouguard ability, where the allegiance ability doesn't.

Still not too impressive for an apocalypse type super formation.

I thought rule of one would counteract this? I am rather new to AoS and knew it was a thing last ed, so I could be wrong.

Rule of 1 for rolling for feel no pains, or is it only 40k where if you have multiple sources of feel no pain, you can only use one. I may be confused on this point.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
That's only in 40k. In AoS, if you have multiple different wound cancelling mechanics, you roll one after the other until one of them blocks the wound or you run out of saves. Or at least you do unless the saves themselves say otherwise.

The shroudguard save says you can't roll both it and the nighthaunt save against the same wound. Likewise, the procession save replaces the nighthaunt save, so you again can't roll both against the same wound. But there is norhing stopping you from rolling both the shroudguard and the procession save against the same wound.

Ah well thats handy to know, not that I will be playing with the Nighthaunt Allegiance as I prefer the Legions of Nagash allegiances as I feel they give more flexibility and list building opportunities. Especially as Legions of Nagash can take Nighthaunt allies and most of their budds are keyword Death, not Nighthaunt.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
Is there much point in sticking to the Nighthaunt Allegiance over any of the other allegiances as I still am trying to work out how I should play Death since I haven't really played AOS at all? dont know if I should stick to only having Nighthaunts as including some vampires plus other Death units would be nice. Is there much of the new Nighthaunt stuff that can be included in other Death allegiances still waiting on the battletome and rulebook so don't know really

Nighthaunt can be allied with Legions of nagash so you can have 200/400/500 points of allies depending on point levels, as described in the core rules. Also all the old Nighthaunt and everything in the Soul Wars box can be used with the Legions of Nagash allegiance. The Nighthaunt book should also be viewed as the Legion of Grief, like we have the Legions of Sacrament, Blood and Night, though Grief has much more unique stuff. I would suggest looking at the new units, especially their fluff and seeing how much appeals to. you and the kind of army you want to build and compare it to the existing stuff. For me I like running Legion of Sacrament/ Blood depending on how I feel and extend it with the Soul Wars Nighthaunt.

A big difference over the two armies is regen, Nighthaunt armies tend to be hardier with their 4+ unreadable save and 12 in feel no pain auro from heroes. But summonable units (which is most death and new Nighthaunt units) get massive amounts of regend, heroes with deathly invocations and other abilities in Legions of Nagash. The Legions of Nagash feel no pain is only a 6 inch bubble. but if you run more heroes it wont matter, and you likely will for the buffs they give. Also an important note is that Nighthaunt have no way of using necromancers while those in Legions of Nagash benefit from their unique spell that lets a summoned unit attack twice.

Another note is now the Mourngul can be used in Legions of Nagash by allying it in. Before after its 5 rounds of nerfs it was trash, but now, when supported by the Soul Wars hero it can be a monster. hitting on 2's, rerolling 1's thanks to the Spirit Tormenter and Guardian of Souls, healing d3 if at least 3 models died thanks to the spirit tormenter and more if you have a vampire with Vile Transference, plus its own inbuilt healing, its a nightmare. The other day I had it solo a Bloodthirster, it charged in and just wrecked it, plus its -1 to hit, though in a smaller bubble, is still handy.

This is just my take on it based on the new edition and the games I have played using the Legions of Nagash allegiances, I am sure others here have more insight.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The main advantages of nighthaunt allegiance over a nighthaunt-heavy LoN army are:

1. Formations. Nighthaunts have some decent ones, I like the shroudguard, chainguard, and deathriders in particular. As of the core rule faq, to take any of tbese in a LoN list, youd have to pay for the entire formation out of your ally points, including for units that you otherwise could have fielded as a normal part of your army, which essentially blocks LiN armies from accessing nighthaunt battalions at all.

2. Deep strike. Nighthaunt can deploy half their units underground, and then put them on the table anywhere more than 9" from the enemy. And thats any unit, not just summonables. Even LoNight doesn't have that kind of deployment flexibility.

3. Alternative battleline. Chainrasps aren't bad, but there's a lot to be said for battleline grimghasts, hexwraiths, or spirit hosts, especially at higher points values where you need 3 or 4 battleline units.

On the other hand, LoN listd have necromancers (vanhels is great on grimghasts), vamp lords (nighthaunt can ally in soulblight, but LoN gives them better spells), monsters, gravesite healing, etc. Could go either way, really.

I think in the end it comes down to playstyle, personlly I much prefer vampires and running lots of Blood Knights supported by chaff units, so for me LoN is an easy choice.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
Haven't really played any games with the new edition so don't know what type of play style I would like. At the moment I do have 40 Chainrasps plus 2 guardian of souls and a Spirit Torment which I brought seperately off ones at my club which I just wanted to try painting don't know what else to really add though a vampire or the knight of shrouds plus some hard hitting unit would be nice

well they both can be used with either allegiance, so I would suggest playing both and see what you like. Legion of Night wont do too much for your ghosts, but if you go Vampire heavy then Blood is decent, though Legion of Sacrament is pretty baller, especialy giving a hero the wristbands that make them -2 to hit from shooting attacks when over 8 inches away, coupled with the new look out sir rules your general could be -3 to hit before any other spells or modifyers from ranged weapons.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Preorders for the new Black Coach are finally up - and as it turns out, it's more expensive that our Big Boy Nagash himself!!! I know, it's big and cool, but I find that way overpriced. It seems I'll be using the old metal one!

Also, basic Nighthaunt Chainrasps (easy-to-build too!) also cost quite a bit, 10 ghosts for 32,50 euros - while you can get 10 much bigger and more impresive Grimghast Reapers for 35. Another comparison, you can get 10 basic skeletons warriors for 20 euros.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The chainrasps are utterly unconscionable at the money cost & box size they went with. I'd strongly advise any nighthaunt players to get them exclusively from the starter box, or not at all.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
The cost of some units does seem to be rather high in my opinion. Maybe I just don't get paid enough in my line of work, but I must say that I cannot justify spending on my money of any of the new models because the cost is too high for the number of games that I'm likely to play.

Demian

Vampire Count
Also, and I don't know if this has been said before:

The Soul Wars box is nice for getting all 20 of those Chainrasp Horde models... but terrible at giving you Grimghast Reapers, containing only 4 of the 10-ghost min unit size, and giving you 5 Glaivewraith Stalkers (1 more than the standard unit), but with no Deathbeat Drummer!!!

This could have been much more useful 3 weeks ago, but... well, just a heads-up.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
The best use of the starter box grimghast reapers is probably as Chainghasts, the retinue units for Spirit Torments, which come in unit multiples of 2, which works perfectly for the 4 you get in the box. This is also about the only way to get chainghasts for the spirit torment that comes in the box, as the actual chainghast models only come in a box with another spirit torment. Appearance-wise, chainghasts and grimghasts have pretty much the same cloaks, hoods, and arms, the difference is in the heads (grimghasts are blindfolded skulls, chainghasts have full-face-covering blank metal helms) and in the weapons (grimghasts carry scythes, chainghasts carry weighted chains).

Here's an example of conversions on the tga forums:

Spirit torment to Chainghast?

Demian

Vampire Count
Huh... that sounds like I could convert some models...

Thanks! I'll get to that and see if I can use them as such!

While I may have read it wrong, does anybody remember seeing that the box set characters will be available as separates later on? Kinda a pain GW sells it this way sometimes, but with that said the pricing on sets has gotten better, just not on single items. Coach is a tad out of price I'm afraid.