• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011
RE: Raizi's Frozen Host

Zombie tutorial update #1

So here's the control group assembled and unpainted:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_10.jpg

Tonight I made some basecoating using these colors:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_15.jpg

I began from left to right. 1st the skin areas with Foul Green. 2nd the shoes and any wooden pieces with Leather Brown. Finally all the clothing (not including bandages in weapons or wrists) with Scrofulous Brown.

Result:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_20.jpg

That's all I had time for today, work continues tomorrow...

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011

@ Santa, I will, when it's finished. At this rate I hope to get it done by the end of the week...

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

If it was me Id post it there in stages to tease them. :innocent:

Looking forward to see it finished. I need to sit down and do mine but too much to do still.

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011

Zombie tutorial update #2

Today I continued from yesterday with these colors:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_25.jpg

Again, from left to right. First I basecoated black all the metal pieces and the gravestone. Then I added a thick layer of Leviathan Purple on the skin areas. After that I added a thick layer of Baal Red on all the basecoated clothing areas as well as on the shoes and wooden parts.

Result:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_30.jpg

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011

Zombie tutorial update #3

The work continues with these chosen colors:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_35.jpg

First I used Bonewhite to basecoat all the areas that are, well... bone. I also basecoated all bandages and picked up the eyes, teeth and nails at this point and painted the cloaks on some models with Bonewhite. Then I made a mixed Bonewhite/Scrofulous Brown with 2/1 ratio and did the highlights on the clothing. I watered down the paint a bit, but worked pretty fast. After that I made a mix of Scrofulous Brown/Leather Brown with 1/1 ratio and made highlights on the wooden parts.

Result:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_40.jpg

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011

Zombie tutorial update #4

Today's colors are:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_45.jpg

So again some Scrofulous Brown, this time to paint the midtones on the clothes. Worked pretty fast again, just took away the brightness a bit here and there. After that I used Foul Green to work the midtones on the fleshy areas. This took most of my time as I was careful and worked with multiple layers of watered down paint. After that mixed together Black/Stonewall Grey 2/1 ratio and drybrushed the tombstone a bit, I added a bit more Stonewall Grey after each layer and finally when about 1/1 with Black, I did the beard and hair areas too with the mixed paint. After that I did the highlights on hairs with pure Stonewall Grey.

Finally at this stage I went through the model with a thick layer of Ogryn Flesh wash. I used it on the darker areas: armpits, groin, neck and was careful that I didn't apply any wash to the areas I wanted to have the most light. This would be the center of torso usually. Then I darkened the wooden parts a bit and I also used it on any bandages and on the hair and bones.

Result:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_50.jpg

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011

Zombie tutorial update #5

Progress in the zombie-factory, this is what was used in today's session:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_55.jpg

First I made a mix of Foul Green/Dead White with 1/1 ratio and highlighted the skin. I watered it down quite a bit and did a few layers. After that I watered down some Bonewhite and highlighted the bone areas and some parts of the rags/clothes. Finally I went with a layer of Gunmetal Metal on the metal parts. I will work on the rust later on. The clothing and skin are starting to be almost finished now. The only unpainted thing is the leg on one of the zombies who uses it as a weapon. I will do it last, since I'll try another way of doing undead flesh on the leg. If it turns out okay, I will use the same method to paint my ghouls later on.

Result:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_60.jpg

And some close-up treat:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_625.jpg

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011

Zombie tutorial update #6

This evening I did some more fine tuning with these colors:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_650.jpg

I made a mixture to finalize the skin tone from Foul Green/Bonewhite/Dead White, with a 1/2/1 ratio and thinned it down again and did the final highlights on the skin. I used Bonewhite because I wanted to give a slighly warmer tone for the highlight instead of going purely with Foul Green + Dead White. I also added a layer of white on the bases.

After that I began to work on the rust. First I added a thick layer of Ogryn Flesh wash over the metal area and then worked with another, very wet brush over the still wet wash and dabbed some Leather Brown on it. On my next update I will finish the rust effect and do all the tiny bits still left unpainted. (some guts and the leg that one of the zombies is wielding)

Result:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_70.jpg

And then details from the control group. My light was a little off, if compared to the last detail shot, but you will get a better view on the rust:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_725.jpg

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011

Zombie tutorial update #7

Slowly getting there, I planned to make this a classic 'painting your zombies in 10 easy steps' -thingie. Hopefully I don't have to exceed that amount of updates. On to work:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_750.jpg

First completed the rust by adding a thinned down layer of Ogryn Flesh wash over some of the metal parts (I didn't coat the whole blade this time) and then I made a mix of Leather Brown/Orange Fire with a 1/1 ratio and dabbed it with a wet brush over the wash like last time. Then I basecoated the unpainted leg with Dead Flesh and added a layer of Thraka Green wash over the leg too.

I also advanced the bases a bit, as can be seen. Glued some rocks and grass there. I use Swamp grass, but I will work out to make it more wintery eventually.

Result:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_80.jpg

And here's the finished rust:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_825.jpg

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011

Zombie tutorial update #8

Decided I'll go through with the rest of the phases this evening as well. So I did some small details with these bottles:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_85.jpg

First I used Bonewhite to highlight the grass, the skeleton on the tombstone and the skin on the leg-weapon. Then I added a thin layer of Leviathan purple on the leg-weapon, followed by a highlight of 1/1 mix of Dead Flesh/Bonewhite. Then did the guts and tongues with Gory Red and the highlights with 1/1 mix Gory Red/Bonewhite.

Result:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_90.jpg

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jan 17, 2012
Omnipresent

Fellow cult member? I assumed since the cult was named after you that you would be in some position of power. That or there is some serious imbalance in your membership policy

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011

Zombie tutorial update #9

Finalizing touches with these:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_95.jpg

I mixed Black/Stonewall gray with various amounts and drybrushed all the stones and the tombstone until I was satisfied. Then I added another layer of white on the bases.

Result:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_10_1.jpg

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011

Zombie tutorial update #10

The final step: add snow.

I brushed some PVA glue on the bases and some on the grass, so the snow flakes would catch on them too. I use Citadel snow, which is somewhat 'flaky'.

Result:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieTutorial_11.jpg

And this concludes the tutorial.

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011

Now that I've finished painting all my zombies, I will post some pics of the full unit, along with the Necromancer who will be bunkered inside whenever I use these fellas. Feels really nice to finally finish one unit. I did these in groups of 5, the unit filler and the final 9 for the tutorial I noticed that I've learned a lot already. Namely how to paint rust and a few things about making snow-bases.

It is clear now, that I won't be attending the Golden Bat this year as I've got plenty of other plans for my summer holiday already, but I will continue to work with my army.

I've also added a poll for what to do next. Please vote.

Oh, and the unit:

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieUnit1.jpg ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_ZombieUnit2.jpg

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
RE: Raizi's Frozen Host - Vote for next project!

One vote for Grave Guard. My least favorite unit in the VC army, but I'm wanting to see how you make heavily armored units look cold. I've got a feeling you're up to it.

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011
RE: Raizi's Frozen Host - Vote for next project!

Well, I cheated a little and painted my vampire lord on foot today while waiting for you guys to vote. I haven't had the courage to touch my vampire characters yet, but today I started playing around with an idea and it ended up with me finishing a model. All in one day, it's got to be a new record for me. xD

I don't mean to sound too self-sufficient with this, but I'm quite pleased with what I did. I think it's my best single model so far and it's actually thanks to all you who's been commenting and reading this thread that I want to improve with every new model I paint. :thumbsup:

Well, after next weekend I'll check the votes and decide what bigger thing I'll do next, until then I'll take a little break from painting and concentrate on other things.

The model is the Necrarch vampire on foot, the original model was a little funny with the feeling of: "I'll throw this dispel scroll at you, and then stab you in the guts!"

I decided to add a little 'oomph' to it by removing the original dagger hand and replacing with the hand from the mounted Blood Dragon vampire. Well, actually just the glove, as I ended up using the sword from the Mordheim Accessory bitz pack. (It originally came with my box of Skaven Warphunters that I bought to act as Gutter Runners for my Skaven...)

So, here's the pics, enjoy! (and please vote for the poll, if you haven't done so yet...)

ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_Vampire_foot1.jpg ai1260.photobucket.com_albums_ii579_Raizi_Vampire_foot2.jpg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu