• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Aramoro

Wight King
Sep 17, 2010
Without sarcasm is a service I rarely provide, but here goes.

Page 29 tells you what is about to happen in the Magic Phase, it says the casting player will be seeking to draw down enough power dice etc. Now just from the rule book the Magic Phase does indeed start with the Winds of Magic Roll. Without any interference the first thing you do in the Magic Phase is roll the Winds of Magic, it says so. So you do indeed start the magic phase by rolling the Winds of Magic. But the rule book doesn't take into account anything interrupting this sequence. These are the Basic rules of the Magic Phase.

But Evocation of Death has an Advanced rule, one that takes place At the Start of the Magic Phase, which is the same time as the Basic rule of Roll the Winds of Magic happens. As we all know advanced rules always override the basic rules. So we have 2 things happening at the start of the magic phase. We are told how to resolve these situations on page 10.

If they had wanted the Magic Phase to explicitly start with the forming of the Power Pools it would have said that. 'At the Start of X' is a key phrase in Warhammer and they explicitly said it in this case so I have to assume that is what they meant. Taking it as they said 'At the start of x' But they didn't actually mean that is where it's grasping.

Aramoro

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
Yet a service you should provide more often! I see your point, clearly.

I'm sure everyone is baffled by the fact I don't agree with it as I maintain that the special rules VS core rules are not in conflict here nor is the sequencing being disrupted but I've made this point before and it comes down to how much stock you put in the page 29's initial writing. As both of us have presented our arguments in a clear manner these last few pages I think I'm going to let this one rest.

Cheers, D.

Aramoro

Wight King
Sep 17, 2010
Indeed I think this has run it's course. I can see your point and where you're coming from. It's just down to how you read it exactly. You've presented you argument clearly and concisely so I think we can agree to disagree here.

Cheers

Aramoro

Zanthor

Ghoul
Jun 22, 2010
Lord Fear said:
At the end of the day though, we all know how it's really meant to work, and EoD/1 only exists to muddy the issue as there was no sequencing start of the magic phase in the last edition. I'd like to say that no tournament organiser would ever rule it that way, but some people do take the argument too far and insist that others play the silly way, and that's their problem, because they are slaves to RAW and it will ruin their own games. Whereas guys like Aromaro, even if some of us don't agree with him, should recognise he's only making an argument as devil's advocate.

Well stated Lord Fear. People who actually play the game with a wide range of people have to be reasonable knowing that the game designers do NOT try to put Easter Eggs like this into the game system. They do what they think is their best to write a compelling game without adding 512 pages (whoops!) of rules for people who like to play RAW despite the absurdity of their outcomes.

bored1

Ghoul
Sep 11, 2010
Here's what everyone arguing for Evocation can't get around.

You're creating an argument where you're designating what happens at the start of the phase. You're deciding the order. By logic, by interpretation, etc etc.

The fact is that multiple things are happening at the start of the phase. Even if the WoM determine that start of the phase, that means we have a paradox, not a ruling.

EDIT: The paradox being multiple things happen at the start of the phase, but the start of the phase starts with something that happens at the start of the phase.

The wording is NOT explicit. See p 10.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu