• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

So I always wanted a plog...

Wow! It's been a while since I worked on my minis, and so have little to report.

I've just made progress on the wings for the last nightmare, and formed a plan for combining two wings to make one of the wings. I still need to make sure that the other wing will come together before we go under the knife.

I also sent off some ethereals and my empire zombie conversions for painting. I should have pics to post soonish.

As to the knights, I've been playing around with them a bit, and find having all the same heads and bodies a little too unified. I may try some other heads, and I may try some different weapons and things.

As to sheilds, @Nagash Worshiper, I really don't like the bat wings as iconography all over the place. It's been ages, but I think that may have been part of what started me down the conversion path. It's just too cartoony for my liking, where I prefer the grimdark.

Speaking of which, there is now a group AoS28 along the lines of Inq28. Anyone else in to that, or heard of it before? If you haven't you should go and have a look at Bruticus' dark Wood Elves, or Tea-Wild-Owl's blood necromancer:
http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/7224-aos28-the-dark-age-of-sigmar/

Okay here's where I am with the vamp knights. I'm not sure I like how uniform they are looking with the same weapon and helms. I'm really in to the dark gothic or teutogen feel plus horns, and looking around for some other helmets to try.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Maybe swap the helmets but keep the horns? That gothic helmet available in the Greatswords set would fit the nicely. Good work on those horses - I didn't notice that empire had so much characters' horses, it differentiates them well :)

Also, there are wights/skeletons in Mordheim? I had the impression that it's about fleshy undead...

After finding no other helm bits quite as dark and sinister looking without being too 'chaosy,' I went back and started fiddling with the unit. I realized that it's as much the static posing of the unit which is leading to the feeling of uniformity. So I've been playing around with different poses. I'm actually going to try and use the same head for all but the musician.

@Borgnine Yes, you are right. However, in The Ninth Heim there are three Bloodlines of VC available: the traditional Von Karnstien, the Brotherhood of the Dragon, and the Lamia!

The Brotherhood has a martial focus allowing undead mounts, wight kings as heroes, and no necro. The Lamia list is very fluffy, with a demi-vampire apprentice, a beloved (of the Vampire), blood servants, and blood slaves! (You can still have wolves, skellies, and zombos too)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Well, that just makes 9th Heim more interesting ;)
And that Mierce model, damn it that's a fine model. I missed the fact that they make troops and undead troops too! I need to get some of those, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Well it's been quite a while, and this time I have a lot to share, but I'll do it bit by bit. For starters, I stayed with the demigryph helms on the blood knights. To vary them up a bit I worked with the poses. I think it went well!

I wanted to share this idea I'd seen on this site somewhere (if you know where please post to attribute the idea).
To continue the Empire theme, instead of a Varghulf, which seemed too bestial, I put a rider on a demigryph and called it a vampire! It can double and be in both armies. It is also one of earlier conversions I did where I first sculpted something mostly from scratch instead of just gap filling; I cut off all the feathers from a demigryph helmet and replaced them with webbing. Much more VC :)

I'll have to take a picture of the completed model some time to post here.

Here also is my inspiration for him:

Incidentally, this is the project that got me started on my vamp knight unit.

Last edited:
Here are some other models I've converted in the meantime.

Turn counter if you place a die on the clock pedestal, or a wraith (plus my inspiration for him)

A wight king. (and the inspiration for him)

A couple mounted necromancers.

After realizing that all the models in the VC book are undead, I decided to undead my necros. So first I made some things I didn't have, but I'd still like to make some on foot. Here are some images that inspire me:

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Wow, some beautiful models there. Excellent work on the conversions, and I love the idea of "properly Undead" Necromancers, even if personally I always preferred the idea that Necros were still very much human (back when even Ghouls didn't have the Undead rule!)

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Fantastic conversion log xD

I really like the Empire-Vampire theme, it's been a while since I've seen one so well done!. I'm impressed with the blending of the multiple kits and some of the ideas, especially the demigryph as a Vargulf stand-in. Matches the theme much better, and it's great to see out of the box thinking to keep the theme tight.

Any thoughts in some of the larger models - like a War Altar/Mortis Engine? I always enjoy the big conversions, especially if you go for the fancy bases as well.

I no longer have it, but I remember way back in the 4th edition I "converted" a Dwarf Organ guy by sticking loads of bones over it and giving it a Skeleton crew. Had to get my opponents permission to use it, but was just for fun really.

Oooooh, how about a Steam Tank/Black Coach! :|xDxD

Are you playing with your army, or just in it for the models?

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Wow, good to see you back! This is so awesome!

The quality of your work is outstanding. Those knights turned out really, really well - the detail is crisp, the scheme clear and strong, even if mostly grey - and even using the same bits, they managed to look varied and different. They don't look like vampires very much, but who said that vampires have to dress in red and be covered in blood and bats? xD

The zombies are also great, really dark and grim! Also, nice to see those old zombies getting some love ;)

Rest of the conversions are top-notch too, I love that Varghulf. Good idea with changing those wings on the helmet ;) Making necromancers into liches always seemed to me like an obvious choice, seeing how they are also undead in the 8th edition. Weird that GW never made anything with it. Maybe in the future, for a deathrattle expansion?

Also, if you are going with that idea with the Steam Tank that @Disciple of Nagash proposed, I have one waiting to be converted - and I plan to put that corpse pile from the Corpse Cart on top of it, you can see it here if you want some rough ideas ;)

I am eagerly waiting for more updates!

I really love your conversion work using the Coven Throne vampires, really great ideas that I am kicking myself for not thinking of myself. Love the wings you used, likely a better option than the Varghulf wings I used on my own conversion.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your positive responses and kind comments! I just worked away in the dark of winter up here in Canada, the cold North, without reaching out; It's really nice to reconnect with the community.

There have been so many things to work on moving toward the Empire theme that I'm a little sad I haven't gotten around to the undead necros (liches) yet. I agree with you, @Shadespyre, that fluff-wise the idea of living necromancers is way cooler, but if I had living necromancers, then why can't I flee with them in-game?? I guess I'm mostly a gamer first, so I model to fit the rules. Remember ghoul skirmish screens snaking around in front of all your models back in 7th? 6th? Haha! Man I do miss those times once in a while.

I guess I kind of got lost after WHFB blew up and a buddy sold me his half-built Empire army for a few hundred bucks. Suddenly I had so many conversion bits! I'd usually just bought a couple kits that I needed at a time, but having so many sprues floating around has opened up the creative process in a different way, @Disciple of Nagash.

That said, I still get most of my inspiration from looking around the web. I certainly wasn't the first one to put the Coven Throne ladies on horseback, @Citrov, though I may be the only one foolish enough to throw money at getting four pairs of those wings! I had also played with the Varghulf wings myself. In my mind I couldn't square away the fleshy bits with the skeletal rest of the model, so I bit the bullet. It actually took me a couple months to find all 4 pairs. And then I rushed putting them all together, making some little mistakes in gluing the poses.

It bothers me greatly how this lady leaned forward on her saddle as the glue dried, after making the same mistake with her head and sword!! :'( Also, I do have a fourth one, just can't find the pic!

It seems like most of my conversions are borrowed ideas from the web. I do like that my original ideas have all worked out well, but they're not all my favourites. The zombies are a great example. I too, @Borgnine, was inspired by @Mad 'At's amazing horde of zombies, but did not take it to the amazing lengths that you have! (I just saw your log yesterday, and I gotta say that it's amazing! I especially liked the Russian/¿Kislev? sub unit, I think it really goes well with your theme. PS anyone seen him around since he started on The Ninth Age?) They are a funny kit to work with, given the hands and even the heads in some ways, but there are some great bits in there! One of my favourite heads comes from that set; I'm using it currently on a Dreg I'm making for my Nechrarch Mordheim band.

The Varg is another great example. I think I even found that inspiration pic on this website, @Disciple of Nagash! It wasn't that hard to pull off, actually, besides the helmet sculpting. I kinda wish I'd made it more blood-thirsty and vampiric, @Borgnine @Disciple of Nagash, as it seems just a little too much on the 'Empirey' side of things.

That said, I'm quite happy with the Blood Knights. I agree with you guys, @Borgnine @benvoliothefirst, however I think of it as Blood Knights as in Blood Dragon Knights, and fluff-wise I consider them as just really disciplined and focussed knights who live in the Empire somewhere hiding their vampness. I really started to get in to a Gothic/grim-dark mood and loved the Demigryph helmets. I've continued with the mood in other projects since (including joining the AoS28 group on FB [a la Inq28, but fantasy] and getting an hobby modelling-internship within the group with a really cool artist!)

The whole plan here was, as WHFB was exploding, to have a couple finished armies that would always be able to play against each other, even if the rules were dead and opponents were impossible to find. I'm pretty sure I'll never sell these guys, so perhaps one day they'll get boxed up and put in the cupboard like a board game, ready to go like a self-encased game. So for that to happen I wanted to have the Empire vs the Vampire threat spreading within. One of my favourite parts of the tension between the Vamps and the rest of the Empire was that you might never know which of your rulers, members of the royal court, lord, knights, even acquaintances might be a vamp! So I really wanted to make my Vamps just a hair off of Empire so they could blend in if necessary. Of course if you're a vamp and you attend the lord or emperor's court you won't be bringing a retinue of grave guard! Save them for the battlefield! So yeah... I do still have most of that unbuilt Empire army, minus a lot of bits at this point, lying around waiting to be put together to face the vamps. (On that note, I have made a couple Empire Mordheim bands, and seeing how some post non-VC in their logs I may put mine up later, too.)

Lots of you are asking about a Coach or an Engine. I have plans for both and one is complete! It's not much of a conversion however. When I saw this pic I knew I wanted one!

There's not much converting to be done making it, really. So when I sent my stuff away I just threw all the parts in the box and got this guy back. He's REALLY long, so the front two horses can come off. In T9A (The Ninth Age) there's a rule option for your Coach to give it two extra horses and increase its base length by as much, probably since almost no one ever managed to actually get the whole coach on a single chariot base. But then I had to add the two extra horses and still be 50mm too long anyway! LOL

I do have plans for an Engine as well, but I've half-mocked it up once or twice and the idea is just WAY too big. I wanted to make an unholy procession kind of like when the priest enters a church from the back with the two tapers and the guy holding the bible, etc. I got a bunch of models for it too, but there's just not enough room. It would be humongous! Also the Engine in T9A kinda sucks right now so I haven't had much gaming reason to focus on it. Here's an old pic with some of the models I was considering using early on in the project:

@Borgnine, thanks for the link. That Mortis Tank is awesome! I think it would be hilarious to have zombie bits coming out of every port. Or maybe reaching out, like they're trapped reanimated inside! On the same post, you have such a 'stealable' idea for a BSB, which I have been fully planning on using for some time now. I'm just not sure when it will get to the top of the list!

I'm not sure what other big models are out there besides the Zombie Dragon, @Disciple of Nagash. I did buy a Reaper Kaladrax long ago, with the intent to put someone on top. However, it's maybe just a little boring, and one of the wings got metal fatigue. Anyway, it's around but no big ideas yet!

Wow, I wrote a lot... better go! I'll post more later!

Last edited:
Ok yea I love those vampire ladies now that I see those complete kits. I took a different direction, with puttin the vampire queen on a coffin that I will one day complete kitbashing to look like its floating in the air. The other two I actually magnetized so I could swap them with different mounts including a zombie dragon conversion using the Lord of the Rings fell beast and now currently the etherial steed from the soul wars kit.

But your approach is great and I would love to see them charging down the table, mowing down anything that got in their way.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@Eternal Salvation: I'm still around, though I'm not spending as much time here as I used to, and I'm not working on anything undead atm.

Nice to see that you plog is still active. I very much like those ladies and their flying horses. Good choice in wings.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
It's really nice to reconnect with the community.
Same here, I was gone for much longer and coming back has made me realise how much I missed this place

Blood Dragon Knights, and fluff-wise I consider them as just really disciplined and focussed knights
Same here - I loved the original fluff of the Martial Blood Dragons, and to an extent, they will always be that way to me.

Really loved the close up pics of the ladies on their winged nightmares, excellent wing choice xD

I also loved the idea of the processional as a conversion for a Black Coach, it's a pity it doesn't fit :(

@Mad 'At What are you working on these days? Are you the guy making the Ninth Age version of Mordheim?

@Disciple of Nagash Yeah I didn't realize how much I missed it until I came back too.

You guys have me a little reinvigorated on the procession idea for the Mortis. I'm looking in to it again :)

I also saw this:

Does anyone know if it's an update for the coach or a conversion?

Its an update, kit will be released at the end of the new Nighthaunt releases I imagine. Interestingly its rules for the Nighthaunt allegiance are different than the rules for the Legions of Nagash allegiance, which is also annoying as I play Legions of Nagash with ghosts and not Nighthaunt with Vampires.