• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

So I always wanted a plog...

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@Mad 'At What are you working on these days? Are you the guy making the Ninth Age version of Mordheim?
I am that guy, it goes by the name Skirmish Campaigns nowdays. Currently working on updating it to be closer in design to T9A v2.0, a massive part being the new profile layout. I haven't been able to put much time into it lately though, but hopefully I'll be able to release that towards the end of summer. The version that is available now is certainly playable though.

I Will have to take a photo of her menagerie of creatures at some point, though I still got a couple planned that I want to do. Especially if I am lucky and win the dread abyssal I am currently bidding on.

Wow, @Citrov the new Nighthaunt look amazing!

So here are the models I am currently working on, mostly warbands for Mordheim. I'll post some more of the whole crews I'm putting together later, but for now, here's the Nechrarch and his band I'm trying to sort out in my mentorship.

I got my inspiration from Ex Profundis' Throne of Bones, something that seems so cool I can't help myself trying to make them all!

Here's his buddy; in the league I was playing in we needed two different warbands for a map-based campaign so I made another as well.

Both are made from 40k Dark Eldar models.

I'm not a fan of the snake/worm things he is hovering over, but I'm too scared to try and cut them away!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Damn, that airforce of vampire ladies looks great! The combination of red, blue and bone works superbly here! When I read about your plight when trying to fit vargheist wings on them, I got reminded of something I saw on the internet somewhere. There was also a vampire woman riding a flying horse, only the horse was taken from the Chaos Chariot and the wings were from vargheist - looked plenty fine and the bits would be probably easier to get ;) Maybe for next time? xD

Besides, the procession idea for the ME is AWESOME, keep it up! Maybe you should build some stairs from which they'll be descending, that would give you some additional space for all the minis.

Necrarchs look promising as hell too! I also got inspired on Ex Profundis and wanted to something like this at some point, so I am extra interested in seeing what can you do with it!

Thanks, @Borgnine! They were a lot of work, but they were worth it. Actually they're not done yet. Some damage has happened, and the magnets at the wing joints are not working properly. I'm afraid I'll have to cut the ends of the wings off and resculpt them to do a better mag job. But that's not happening for a while!

I am also reinvigorated in the ME model. Thanks guys, for your encouragement! I have some other ideas about how to do it that I'll need to play around with. In the meantime I'll just be waiting for someone to put that new Aelf shipwreck on the ME ghosts and working on my Morheim crew. Here's the rest of the posse.

The two dual-welders on the right are wights and in the list I'm playing they temporarily give -1WS each time they hit an opponent. The guy in the middle is a necro/litch, a couple chaff in front, a couple skeletal dogs, and the back left is his necromantic masterpiece!

Here is one of his dregs. I think I want to reposition the right arm to have a shovel, but then I think the armour on the arm may seem out of place. So I might make some other models instead. I want all three of his dregs to have shovels.

The cloth on the back needs resculpting. I'm going to try some new techniques here before I move on to the Vamp, where I think I'd like to have him in a long flowing cloak. I just can't decide whether or not to leave the external vertebra on the vamp. I think it kinda looks cool, but I also think it's a little too stock-haemonculus.
Here are three clan rats being converted to hunchbacks. I'm a little worried they will look too similar. Seems to be a constant problem with me. I was originally inspired by these models from Nordic Dragon, whose work I have seen on deviantart.com, and I suspect that the one on the left was made from a rat.

@Mad 'At Wow! You guys have done such a great job on those rules! I really appreciate them, though we've been playing Mordheim proper for our latest campaign because the T9A rules were in such a state of flux, and didn't want to mix up old rules in Skirmish with any new rule changes. Hopefully things will settle down soon, and I'm sure we'll be back to NinthHeim. Actually I haven't been playing lately because of the new changes; I haven't taken the time to go through the BRB and army books to see what's changed and then readjust my forces. It seems like a bit of work every time... Oh that and I always get to lose against one of the best players in Canada, now on our ETC team! I wish I could learn more from playing him instead of just losing all the time, lol.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
This warband looks great, you are really good at kitbashing! That liche makes me regret that I used up all of my flagellant legs.... Those skeletons dual wielding morning stars look as if their hands will just break off while swinging, so big are those weapons xD :thumbsup: What is that necromantic masterpiece? And from where did you got those skeleton dogs?

As for the rats, I think that on the picture you posted, everyone is made from a rat - the torso at least. The legs are just swapped on those two guys on the right, maybe that's something you could consider? It would surely bring some variance ;)

I can't believe it's been almost a year since I posted here! Well.. I did have a lot going on in real life, and still do. However, being at home sick in bed has given me some extra time online.

I have done nothing for my warbands, sadly. Nor have I advanced any other projects.. But I do have some new ones that I'd like to start! I should finish the other ones first, but here's what's got my attention.

The new night haunt stuff looks so cool! In The Ninth Age (T9A) you can have a unit of Reapers on foot and they used to be amazing, but now they're just really good. So I wanted to mash up some Nighhaunt for them. Thoughts are processing for that one..

The other thing I want to make is a vampire on a zombie dragon. The base size for this model in T9A is either 50x100, which is cool, or 100x150, which lets you make something awesome! I've been looking around and gathering ideas, but I think I'm going to blatantly rip off this idea:

One reason I like this one is that it doesn't look like it would take too much work to change, yet the difference is striking, imo.

I do have a Reaper Kaladrax, but he's all bone and I think might be a bit boring.