• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Finally painted some Undead.... well, some bones and skulls, anyway...

DSC08652_zpsf3ij6kou.jpg
DSC08653_zpsgoj0dpog.jpg

Reactions: Theerteen

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Shadespyre Nice work on those Legion of the Damned marines, always wanted to paint up some of those myself but never got around to it.

Currently painting up my Skull Pass Idol filler and putting together a few characters for my O&G army. I'm also in the process of painting up a Wight King for my undead. Bit of a mixed bag on the table!

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
@Farmer7574 Thanks! They've similarly been on my to do list for 25 years plus so it's nice to have finally done a squad.

I painted the last couple of miniatures on my desk (an Inquisitor and a Halfling ranger) so now it's Rhino (and related tank) building time. I have NINE Mark 1 Rhinos, mostly in a terrible state, to restore to use. I started off by (literally in some cases) ripping them apart, now I'm patching up the body work with scrap plasticard and milliput and then there will be hours of sanding and smoothing... after that I actually get to assemble them into Rhinos and Predators and Vindicators and whatever, which is the fun part.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
I've got a couple of Skull Pass characters in the works for Da Warpath's Advent. Last few miniatures this year I reckon!

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
@Shadespyre if you wanna get rid of one for little money, I'm there for you mate :D :P

Setting up some dire wolves as KoW werewolves. Annoying, because gw cav bases are too long for just fixing them together. So de-basing (from really cool bases they were standing on before, building new Multibases, adding the wolves in different poses, and decorate the base :thumbsdown:

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Still Space Marine tanks, mostly. I took a little time out to paint a few Frostgrave undead, and I've also nearly finished Codename: Thomas, haha!

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
Converting the remaining bunch of zomblins I have left... Getting some of the old stuff outta the way before working on the new stuff :)

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Today I'm painting Space Mar..... no, I'm not! Because we played Frostgrave at Christmas, I'm adding a few minis to my collection, converting three identical halfling archers to look different...

And then I'm going to carry on working on my Space Marine tanks, which are coming along nicely now.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Update - finally finished building and painting SEVEN Space Marine Tanks.

Next - I'm building FOUR more Space Marine Tanks...

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Last touches to remaining seven plastic skeletons, 3rd edition unit of mummies next and then... old zombie dragon or C21 cavalry

That reminds me - I found that metal Skeleton Champion head! If you'd like to have it, drop me a PM with your address and I'll mail it to you :)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Shadespyre Seven tanks! Impressive work...

I've just put together a few fillers to bump up the night gobbo population of my greenskins army.

On the VC front, I'm working on another filler for the zombie unit.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
@Farmer7574 Thanks. Impressive, insane, same thing ;) Last four tanks are getting undercoated tonight, I think that makes a total of 14 for this army!

Currently taking a breather to assemble some more Frostgrave models for my pal.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Finished the first unit for my KoW Goblins, now going for Fleabag Riders (Wolfriders) aka Amazing Spider Trainer Show. 2 Regiments with 6+ Minis each, should be manageable in 2 weeks. But we aaaall know how "should be manageable" can be a fraud :D

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Theerteen "Should be manageable" beats me pretty much every time! Nice that you're working on your goblins, your work so far is pretty cool!

I've been working on O&G fillers lately and should have them done by the end of the month. Also started shaving mold lines off Vargheist bits - looking forward to putting these beasts together!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Farmer7574 I was wondering what else could you have stored for future painting ;) I am also looking forward to those bats.
@Alabaster427 Black bones are a good choice for this model. Are you planning to make those skulls etheral/glowing somehow like they do on the GW paintjobs?

And I am currently doing something completely new to me - I am using water effects and glue mixed with neon green paint to make some sticky slime for my zombie spiders. They should be ready today, but I can't make any photos this weekend, so I'll show them on the next one... Cheers to @Theerteen for sharing the technique of using glue for such sticky mess - it works really good for those arachnids.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
@Borgnine Ouhh I'm pretty fixed to see that sticky mess! ...nothing I say too often.

@Farmer7574 Thanks, I think those guys will eventually be the less “circusly“ ones...I have sooo much in planning and preparation ;)

Azakael

Skeleton
Working on Arkhan the Black and the Knight of Shrouds.
Arkhan's mount is primed in subassemblies, and skulls are getting Nihilak Oxided at the moment. Knight of Shrouds still needs some mould line removal... and I need a new can of primer. I emptied mine on Arkhan.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
@Alabaster427 Black bones are a good choice for this model. Are you planning to make those skulls etheral/glowing somehow like they do on the GW paintjobs?
I'm not sure how to make them "glow." I just got bored with the green ghosts and skulls everyone else had, and I don't like the orange/red for Mannfred. So I made my own bluish layers. Chaos Black spray, then Celeste's Gray, Naggaroth Night, Lothern Blue, then a Praxeti White/Ethereum blue dry. Then I went back over the bone with abaddon black. What would I add to make them glow?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Alabaster427 So they're blue - I couldn't tell it from the picture alone. I was wondering if you are making them normal bony skulls or something more supernatural - and now I know ;) But to make the effect more pronounced, hm... maybe some blue glaze in like GW Gulliman Blue paint, especially in the recesses. The same glaze could be used to 'cast some light' from those blue skulls upon the black bones.

I never actually used GW glazes, but if the work like other glazes, then it should be good too.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
@Alabaster427 So they're blue - I couldn't tell it from the picture alone. I was wondering if you are making them normal bony skulls or something more supernatural - and now I know ;) But to make the effect more pronounced, hm... maybe some blue glaze in like GW Gulliman Blue paint, especially in the recesses. The same glaze could be used to 'cast some light' from those blue skulls upon the black bones.

I never actually used GW glazes, but if the work like other glazes, then it should be good too.
I've made quite a bit of progress since my last post. I haven't added anything to the skulls, but there's at least some contrasting colors (other than black). Do you think they still need a glow effect?
IMAG0973.jpg

Last edited:

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Hmmm, I feel like it needs *something* but not sure what... not very helpful, sorry...

In the meantime, my own progress has been interrupted as I ran out of black paint - yup, that's a pretty basic error!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu