• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Belladamma Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Manchester, UK
Happy July! That came around quick eh?

This thread is for month 1 of our painting tale. You can post Work in Progress here and then next month we can show finished things.

To start us off I've been chipping away at Mogroks crushas so I have my colour scheme decided. This month's pledge is to finish them off and pick up a shaman for them to do too. Next month of birthday month so I'll get most of the army then!

If you have a bit of fluff to share about your force this is also a good month to get that out. Here's mine:-

Korok is a shaman blessed with vivid premonitions of a set of divine armour that he believes is the armour of Gorkamorka. He has set out on a "crewsaid" to find six divine pieces of armour. He had been seen in Ghyran, Chamon and lately seen in Ghur. The Orange Crusade of Ironjawz now rampaging around Ennulia is being called the Rust Waagh.

Screenshot_20210701-144516_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 26, 2021
For July my Painting Vows shall be:

Assemble:
GW Model of the Month
1 Blackstone Fortress Chaos Space Marine

Paint:
Eleven Classic Dwarf Thunderers
Taddeus the Purifier
Classic Isabella Von Carstein
Seven Traitor Guard
Four Negavolt Cultists
One Spirit Torment
GW Model of the Month

Basing
Do a test Blackstone Fortress base if I get time.

Going for a more beated and verdigris brass for this fellow.

DSC_0633.jpg

It was all neatly organised at the start of last month...

DSC_0634.jpg

And I have to work with these guys glaring at me...

DSC_0635.jpg

DSC_0636.jpg

I think they deserve a repaint... 😛

DSC_0637.jpg

Macarian

Vampire Insomniac
Jan 19, 2014
Netherlands
For July I pledge a Necromancer and a Vampire Lord to be the start of my new army:

The Sunset Invasion of Azyr ~ A story detailing the unlife of an Amazonian Vampiress from the World-that-Was in the Mortal Realms

Here are some quick and dirty pictures of the WIPs made with my phone, better ones to follow over the weekend. The Necromancer is ready for painting while the Vampire Lord still needs some gap filling and detailing.

IMG20210701215830.jpg

The Sisterhood of the Sanguine Eye reveres the Amazonian Vampiress as a Living Deity. The priestesses at the head of the Sisterhood are taught the arts of Blood and Death Magic by the Vampiress Herself.

IMG20210701215843.jpg

The Vampire Lady now known as the Blind Lady was once a promising acolyte of Mannfred von Carstein. Ambitious, scheming and manipulative, her lust for power became her undoing. Traveling to Nagashizzar to bask in the energies of the Necroquake she, like so many other Vampires, lost herself in the unleashed Death magics. Her true nature was made manifest in her flesh as she became a bestial spider-creature. Though she refuses to look upon her own form, her spiderwebs of agents and informants give her vision across all the Mortal Realms.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone's creations here and hearing your backstories, big and small. Happy building and painting everyone! 😊

Badbones777

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
Liverpool
Happy July! That came around quick eh?

This thread is for month 1 of our painting tale. You can post Work in Progress here and then next month we can show finished things.

To start us off I've been chipping away at Mogroks crushas so I have my colour scheme decided. This month's pledge is to finish them off and pick up a shaman for them to do too. Next month of birthday month so I'll get most of the army then!

If you have a bit of fluff to share about your force this is also a good month to get that out. Here's mine:-

Korok is a shaman blessed with vivid premonitions of a set of divine armour that he believes is the armour of Gorkamorka. He has set out on a "crewsaid" to find six divine pieces of armour. He had been seen in Ghyran, Chamon and lately seen in Ghur. The Orange Crusade of Ironjawz now rampaging around Ennulia is being called the Rust Waagh.

View attachment 60385
Awesome that, I love Orange - would love to do an Orange scheme one day. Maybe on Skaven.

Literally as I just typed that my package arrived with the core book, GHB and my FEC starter which is pleasing to say the least!

As far as monthly goals go I'm going to try and get 10 Ghouls done - I'd rather start off fairly modest and while we're early doors, I've also got kids so when it comes to any sort of wargame hobbying, my rule of thumb is always aim modest, then dial it down a notch again, that way anything extra's a bonus!
I love the idea of adding in our army lores and will enjoy that facet of this. I'll hopefully throw up some WIP's in the next few days and ideally some lore, but to give you a rough idea, the concept for the army is they are going to be "counts as" Blisterskin. The TL,DR it's a Cannibalistic cult that thinks it's actually the most holy and pure people going. Sort of if The Descent and The Hills have Eyes saw themselves as being divinely mandated as my take on the Blisterskin concept.

The core idea is they were actually a Crusading army (or were to be part of a multi-city coalition) sent out by a City. En-route to their destination they were ambushed by a force of Orruks that had been tracking them, (likely my own Bonesplitterz force for funsies) and utterly routed. The few survivors fled into the deserts (possibly even the Great Parch as all of my armies so far are from Aqshy) and the group slowly dwindled down to a few dozen and by chance (spoiler: it was more than just chance) the half starved, dehydrated, sun burnt and utterly delirious few who made it this far stumbled upon a rocky outcrop that was actually merely the exposed tip of a massive rock formation - more like a submerged mountain even - hidden by the sands and extending deep into the earth below. It turned out to be honey-combed with tunnels and a bewildering array of natural vaults and chambers.

To the no longer wholly sane and equally raw skinned survivors this could only be a miracle - a sanctuary revealed to the faithful by Sigmar himself. It even had several natural wells in the deeps. Some claimed they had begun hearing a voice speaking to them in the deeper areas, but now was not the time to explore those. Naturally the remaining flagellant contingent both echoed these sentiments of divine intervention, but also saw their horrific burns as both penance and sign of devotion. Something to be endured. Sought after to the fullest extent one could, and began to become de facto leaders of the surviving band.
Of course water is all well and good, but body and soul need more substantial....nourishment. None could say exactly how long it was before the first poor wretch to die from the infection resulting of their sun-ravaged skin was put in the proverbial pot. The voice from the depths seemed to approve though, and the man who came to be known as the Cardinal claimed this was surely the voice of Sigmar. Things moved quickly from then on and even the formality of waiting for the ill to die slipped away.
It started (as it so often does) with the weak, the sick, and those who spoke out against it. For a while some even maintained the requisite shred of humanity to cast tearful, shame filled eyes to the cavern floor as they lined up to accept their "portion" before slinking off alone, sobbing and wretched to eat their tainted meal in the darkness. These souls often found themselves the first to be the wrong side of the spoon, until in the end only the faithful remained, and they had identified nearby caravan routes (surely plied by heathens) that would make rich pickings, for even with the threat of the faithful, it was the only route that would not add months or even years to crossing the ocean of sand.

Over centuries their numbers have swollen, they have expanded to found other sanctuaries and they have utterly devolved. Local tribes and even some cities know that this area of the desert is cursed and travellers know to fear the sky. Of course one cannot be watching both the skies and the rocks at the same time, and so the faithful eat well. Some dark power has even worked to mutate the degenerate creatures by granting them wings. Hymns are sung and there is much feasting when a member of the flock ascends to angelhood in this manner and it seems increasingly common that Sigmar sees fit to bless them by inducting more and more into the ranks of his Prosecutors (for make no mistake, in their twisted delusions the faithful see these bat winged monstrosities in the full pomp and glory of being nothing less than gilt-armoured, white pinioned Stormcast of the same name). Surely a sign that the time is nigh to take up arms once more and fight the good fight of Crusade.

And so it is that by day the faithful, like lizards, crawl out of the dark places and offer of their bodies to the gaze of the harsh, judgemental sun. It wasn't long until this became the face of Sigmar himself, of course. When they can no longer stand it they retreat to the dark and cool sanctuary of the tunnels, to meditate and reflect on matters spiritual, while knowing they are truly blessed in his sight. But they also know such a bounty cannot be accepted with mere blasphemous indolence. The God-King saved them and taught them the true meaning of endurance, the power of mortification of the flesh, and true faith. Into this world of filth and darkness there will be light. Their long forgotten crusade will continue and the unbelievers will face the wrath of his Angels, made pure by his shriving light. And of course, there is the matter of revenge. They recently destroyed a group of interlopers on the edge of the desert. Their Heraldry curiously similar to the sacred garments and relics from the before-time. It was then the Cardinal realised that the city of their birth was clearly in the grip of unbelievers, and the usurpation of their sacred symbols could not stand. This was the final slap in the face - they would gather their strength no more - the problem was worse than he ever dreamt possible and now the wicked will submit to the truth of Sigmar or burn in his light.

Reactions: Hissk Deadtail

Badbones777

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
Liverpool
For July my Painting Vows shall be:

Assemble:
GW Model of the Month
1 Blackstone Fortress Chaos Space Marine

Paint:
Eleven Classic Dwarf Thunderers
Taddeus the Purifier
Classic Isabella Von Carstein
Seven Traitor Guard
Four Negavolt Cultists
One Spirit Torment
GW Model of the Month

Basing
Do a test Blackstone Fortress base if I get time.

Going for a more beated and verdigris brass for this fellow.

View attachment 60405

It was all neatly organised at the start of last month...

View attachment 60406

And I have to work with these guys glaring at me...

View attachment 60407

View attachment 60408

I think they deserve a repaint... 😛

View attachment 60409
Love it - and Old School Dwarves are always a fun time!

Badbones777

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
Liverpool
For July I pledge a Necromancer and a Vampire Lord to be the start of my new army:

The Sunset Invasion of Azyr ~ A story detailing the unlife of an Amazonian Vampiress from the World-that-Was in the Mortal Realms

Here are some quick and dirty pictures of the WIPs made with my phone, better ones to follow over the weekend. The Necromancer is ready for painting while the Vampire Lord still needs some gap filling and detailing.

View attachment 60410

The Sisterhood of the Sanguine Eye reveres the Amazonian Vampiress as a Living Deity. The priestesses at the head of the Sisterhood are taught the arts of Blood and Death Magic by the Vampiress Herself.

View attachment 60411

The Vampire Lady now known as the Blind Lady was once a promising acolyte of Mannfred von Carstein. Ambitious, scheming and manipulative, her lust for power became her undoing. Traveling to Nagashizzar to bask in the energies of the Necroquake she, like so many other Vampires, lost herself in the unleashed Death magics. Her true nature was made manifest in her flesh as she became a bestial spider-creature. Though she refuses to look upon her own form, her spiderwebs of agents and informants give her vision across all the Mortal Realms.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone's creations here and hearing your backstories, big and small. Happy building and painting everyone! 😊
Ace that - green stuff work is really good. The blind lady also reminds me how badly I want an army of Spider-Elves in my life!

Belladamma Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Manchester, UK
All looking mighty inspirational on all fronts!

I'm going to be expanding on the rust waagh narrative by also sharing some of the information concerning the starting of a path to glory narrative and a bit of information on that too.

The prophet Jaffa is gathering the strength of the Rust Waagh for a fresh incursion against the humans of Ennulia city and the neighbouring undead as well as the nearby elves of Harr Kor. There are also rumours of a plague ship crashing in to the southern tip of the east coast and the Stormcast forcing their way in to the region's second city. Jaffa knows the time is coming for a big scrap.

He is gathering his forces now to lead a new outbreak of the rust waagh. He has been drumming up support in the local populace and it is only now, with the word spreading so openly about Kragnos, that the first indications of a Waagh are beginning to form. Jaffa had begun to re-establish a camp for this waagh. The mountain they seem to be recruiting from is now known as 'Owlin Peak.

In the meantime here are the tester models alI done now

Screenshot_20210706-224637_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210706-224609_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210706-224528_Gallery.jpg

Badbones777

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
Liverpool
Some awesome stuff getting put up guys, love it.

Sadly I only have a bit of a WIP (and only construction at that) of the Ghouls. I'm thinking I might do a bit of greenstuff work on them to make some of them a bit more....gooey/burnt and maybe crackle paint to sell the skin.

I've also got a pic of my Khorne Bloodthirster as I am thinking that the way I did it's wings might also work for the Crypt flayers and maybe Gheist thing?

Hopefully have more interesting Ghoul pics soon, Cheers guys 1625664791175.png

1625664828586.png

EDIT: Only just notice nothing was actually up - For some reason it wasn't having it when i first tried to upload (file size too large or somesuch) so I had a fiddle - apologies for seemingly posting nothing!

Last edited:

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
View attachment 60411

That drider vampire conversion looks amazing! It's big enough that it might want to be on a larger base, though. Honestly, if you put it on a 60mm, it would make for an excellent Vengorian conversion. Plus the Vengorian's more monsterous statline just feels more appropriate for such a gribbly conversion. Granted, it's missing wings to indicate flight, but some spiders are known to be excellant jumpers, or to catch the wind with strands of webbing. Either way, I doubt you'd get any push back if you wanted to go that route.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badbones777

Macarian

Vampire Insomniac
Jan 19, 2014
Netherlands
Loving everyone's work, really looking forward to seeing the end results in 6 months!
Ace that - green stuff work is really good. The blind lady also reminds me how badly I want an army of Spider-Elves in my life!

That drider vampire conversion looks amazing! It's big enough that it might want to be on a larger base, though. Honestly, if you put it on a 60mm, it would make for an excellent Vengorian conversion. Plus the Vengorian's more monsterous statline just feels more appropriate for such a gribbly conversion. Granted, it's missing wings to indicate flight, but some spiders are known to be excellant jumpers, or to catch the wind with strands of webbing. Either way, I doubt you'd get any push back if you wanted to go that route.

Thanks for the lovely feedback 😊 The model doesn't have quite the scale for a monster though I am considering making an upscaled version based of an Arachnarok Spider somewhere in the future 😁

Anyway, greenstuffing is done and I'll get to basecoating tonight. I have set myself a challenge to paint 2 hours every need till the weekend to make up for the lack of painting last week. Let's see how far I'll get!

been MIA lately, and not a lot to show here but I have done something....

I also cleaned up my hobby area and set up my spray booth. It's small, but it works for being in a camper.

Need you guys to send me some motivation vibes to get on it lol, great stuff in here so far

Sending many happy vibes, the Blood Knight looks great!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Great progress so far guys, only 12 days in but you're cracking on! Lots of nice models, and it's really making me wish I had the time to paint as well 🥺

Badbones777 - that background was superb, I was really getting into it. Are you thinking of doing extra conversions with religious icons or anything?

Reactions: Badbones777

Macarian

Vampire Insomniac
Jan 19, 2014
Netherlands
Update time! This weekend has seen much progress on the painting 😁 The Necromancer is about 2/3rds done with only the metal bits, headdress, wood and base to go 😊

Unfortunately my camera and new computer have decided they don't like each other. On the camera I got several nice pictures but they are all horribly grainy on my photo editing software. I managed to salvage this picture:

Necromancer.jpg

It gives an idea and hopefully next week I will have it all sorted out. Happy painting all!

Badbones777

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
Liverpool
Hi all - looking amazing! Really enjoying seeing these projects develop!
Great progress so far guys, only 12 days in but you're cracking on! Lots of nice models, and it's really making me wish I had the time to paint as well 🥺

Badbones777 - that background was superb, I was really getting into it. Are you thinking of doing extra conversions with religious icons or anything?
Thank you so much! I am yes. Quite what form that will take I haven't settled on yet but for example I am thinking of making things like standards and flags and similar. Whether they would be actual flags in a Signature style, or just done as flaps of flesh they perceive as the former (or maybe even a mix) I am yet to decide, but yes I plan on leaning into the background as much as I can.

I am not as far as I want to be, but should be all set to finish the 10 ghouls by the end of the month. Some of it was the fact that it's been hot and I'm not a fan of it and my painting area sadly saw paint almost drying on the brush in real time it seemed so I missed a couple of days cursing the weather and biology. I'm painting blisterskin, I don't want to be one!

That said I have got a couple of WIP shots. I've tried a couple of things but something like this fella is what I think I'm settling on. Not a finished example of course, but I think I like the burnt flesh and while it could stand a bit of experimenting with still, I quite like the pustulent yellowy bit next to the sickly pale flesh. I'm going to use some weathering powder to see if a blackened almost sooty effect at the edges of the pink burnt bits works and sells the crispyness.

Hopefully have them all done in the next few days, but I am fairly happy to have settled on something finally

Badbones777

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
Liverpool
Reactions: Hissk Deadtail

Badbones777

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
Liverpool
Also, this is where the majority are up to (the white bits are where they'll be all burnt) I think I like the pale flesh look in the links above but would be interested to see if anyone thinks leaving it a bit darker might also work. I could do a mix perhaps on different units or "broods"?

Edit - apologies for the Ww2 Aussie commando - he snuck into shot without me noticing. But since that's kind of his whole deal I'll let him off.

Screenshot_2021-07-21-13-21-15-900_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Jun 26, 2021
Here's my progress thus far. I've finally finished the squad of traitor guard (in Praetorian Guard colour scheme)

Lighting is a bit naff, sorry. 😛

DSC_0648.jpg
DSC_0649.jpg
DSC_0650.jpg
DSC_0653.jpg
DSC_0654.jpg
DSC_0655.jpg

I've also started the basecoating on the Negavolt Cultist skin, been undercoating the classic thunderers, have started playing around with basecoat paint on Isabella, and have been slowly working on the GW Vinidicator Model of the Month whom i'm doing as the morally questionable Knights Excelsior.

DSC_0658.jpg
DSC_0661.jpg

Badbones777 Honestly they look gruesome enough in the test models, so not sure if darker would improve it any more. 😊

Macarian Them highlights and blends are gorgeous, looking forward to the final reveal. 🙂

Badbones777

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
Liverpool
Here's my progress thus far. I've finally finished the squad of traitor guard (in Praetorian Guard colour scheme)

Lighting is a bit naff, sorry. 😛

View attachment 60651
View attachment 60652
View attachment 60653
View attachment 60654
View attachment 60655
View attachment 60656

I've also started the basecoating on the Negavolt Cultist skin, been undercoating the classic thunderers, have started playing around with basecoat paint on Isabella, and have been slowly working on the GW Vinidicator Model of the Month whom i'm doing as the morally questionable Knights Excelsior.

View attachment 60657
View attachment 60658

Badbones777 Honestly they look gruesome enough in the test models, so not sure if darker would improve it any more. 😊

Macarian Them highlights and blends are gorgeous, looking forward to the final reveal. 🙂
Cheers mate - Loving these as well - traitor guard are looking great!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu