• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
I could totally envision a signboard 'Shadespyre's Miniature Renovation" ;) Great job on both wraiths and skeletons! Also, you really have a melting pile - and intend to melt them?

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
I really do have a melting pile. And a pile of melted metal! Every so often I decide to experiment with casting my own models, so it's nice to have "free" metal for that. Mostly it's from conversion off cuts, slots tabs and so on, but old minis do go in there too.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Very variable. I've had some success making bits and bobs to repair old models (simple warmachine wheels, for example), but I've had lots of failures too. The reason I'm playing with metal is that you can re-melt your mistakes! I think it's mostly about making good molds. which requires some skill and a lot of patience, and I'm not very good at patience! The silicone for molds is actually very expensive, which means I'm not keen to experiment so much.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Thanks, I just use the Nihlakh Oxide method, so simple, but I like how it looks.

Some new miniatures...

Ral Partha Skeleton Giant

DSC06340_zps2bwvqjz3.jpg

WOTC Chainmail "Human Death Cleric"

DSC06332_zpsjk0kdscq.jpg

The armour was meant to come out metallic red, but I decided I quite like this look...

Finally, another Necromancer, this one converted from a pre-slotta Citadel Dark Elf

DSC06335_zpswuolxres.jpg

In case you aren't an expert on minis from 1982, the right hand and staff are all replacements - the staff was made from one on of my prototype Unithorn horns!

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
And here's another one finished...

DSC06359_zpsrsfqaoqd.jpg
DSC06360_zpszif9i7kz.jpg
DSC06361_zpsl2ew32sp.jpg

A somewhat manga-esque Assassin from Heresy Miniatures, the latest addition to my collection of deadly vampiresses.

In the picture the eyes don't quite look right, in person I cannot see this problem at all! It's amazing how much more demanding it is to paint minis that photograph well.

Raizi

Vampire Thrall
Oct 16, 2011
Nice update! Especially like to see that assassin from Heresy Miniatures, since I browsed through their wares just this week. How does that skeleton giant scale with regular infantry?

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Thanks! The pictures are a bit misleading, the giant is on a 40x40 base so he's much taller than the others.

Highly recommend the Heresy minis, the ghouls are great but don't fit my army aesthetic unfortunately.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Your collection is growing at an alarming rate :)
Giant is very cool, that green looks good with the red. The pink cleric also turned out great, even if a little novel amongst your other minis ;) The unicorn horn as a staff is also a terrific idea and fits the mini, good job!
The assassin though, that's one hell of a body ;) She may be a little stripperific but the proportion of various surfaces on her nicely showcases your color scheme for vampiresses - and that slasher smile, great! :D

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
To do list... *wip

*Vampire Lady on Dragon
Yet another skeletal dragon
*1 x mounted Vampire Lady
*2 x armoured Vampire Ladies
*1 x Unarmoured Vampire Ladies
*1 x Lady Necromancers
*1 monstrous infantry sized models which might be counts-as Crypt Horrors?
5 x Black Knights
Another skeleton regiment (probably another counts as 40-50)
Classic Corpse Cart
Vampire Lady on Winged Nightmare

probably a few more unit fillers and maybe a few more characters, but this is starting to look like the final list!!!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Duuuuuuude, Carmine Dragon? That's even cooler than Nethyrmaul :D And Monique Denoir, I waited for you to paint her for a long time ;) Really looking forward to next updates.

Is that a Minotaur in the lower right corner? That's something unexpected in this army..

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
This looks promising indeed. The Carmine Dragon is quite the perfect fit for your army I'd say, nice find. Very much lookng forward to the coming updates :)

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
@Borgnine Yes, the Carmine Dragon is one of the first models I bought for this army, I've been putting it off till I thought I could do it justice. I'm a bit stuck on Monique, I got as far as painting her armour black so far... and yes, it's a zombie minotaur. It doesn't fit the army so well, but it's a zombie minotaur, so I couldn't resist buying it!

@Mad 'At Even better, I can also use the Carmine Dragon with my Empire army, as it is originally intended! :)

@Farmer7574 Honestly, the supply of gorgeous female models is nearly infinite. I'm restricting myself to ones I really like and (mostly) already labelled as "necromancers" or "Vampires", else it really would never end! It's a shame there aren't more mounted examples, though.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Just spent an eye-watering sum on a large number of old Citadel plastic shields. At least I'll not run out before I finish the army now!

Absyrtus

Zombie
I'm also a big fan of that assassin! The killer's smile (as well as the nice sculpt) is what really makes that model for me. Great work!

A really characterful army...I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it painted.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Thanks very much! Sadly we'll both have to wait a while longer... by the way, I also use a lot of the brilliant old Foundation paints on my Undead, I spotted your Varghulf is very similar to mine, probably as a result of this!

Reactions: Absyrtus

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Marvelous! That pegaus has to be one of the best choices for a hellsteed, great job :) I like the use of DE weapons as decorations - but that one horn on the head - is it simply growing out of it's forehead? Lacks some straps if it's attachable.... Och, and great composition - that three points made by the tips of the wings and her lance, making a triangle - further put upon that gravestone, that really enchances how light and 'flying' the character is :thumbsup:

Absyrtus

Zombie
Thanks very much! Sadly we'll both have to wait a while longer... by the way, I also use a lot of the brilliant old Foundation paints on my Undead, I spotted your Varghulf is very similar to mine, probably as a result of this!

I'd say so! Fenris Grey, Astronomican Grey, Dheneb Stone, Calthan Brown and Iyanden Darksun have all been used for my Undead. To be fair, I could probably use Tallarn Flesh, as well (I used Bugman's Glow for the Varghulf wings basecoat).

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
@Borgnine Yeah, you are right, needs a few GS straps etc to make it work, I agree. May extend the spike into a piece of head armour. I actually expected someone to suggest saddles and stirrups...

@Absyrtus Mechrite Red, I've used so much of that! ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu