The Fimir of Albion - out of the mist

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
a1.bp.blogspot.com__oXZeM_hWxP0_UimRpr9a_cI_AAAAAAAABdY_VU_v_PAr8W0_s1600_Fimir_wip_76.webp


It was all about the greenstuff the last few nights as I worked up the marlwyrm riders. Some gap filling, saddles with assorted paraphernalia, and the riders themselves. The fellow above (the standard bearer) needed a neck, a rebuilt right shoulder and some work where his tail meets his previously orcish bottom. I added a cowl as well, with a bronze broch to the front. This time I'll paint the bugger before I stick him on the mount.

You can see the musician in the back there. I've just started on his neck musculature, which is a little tricky as he's turning and angling his head. Time for the anatomy books. I better decide is he's going to be hooded first though, it wouldn't be the first time I've spent an hour sculpting muscle only to cover it with a hood, cloak or coif.
 
a1.bp.blogspot.com__2dAm648oJzU_UjbcJnt8xtI_AAAAAAAABeU_b_8xWtO3_8I_s1600_Fimir_wip_77.webp


Two more marlwyrms are now complete and awaiting riders. I did rather enjoy painting the tiny version of Crom on the base of the guy on the right. I love adding those little details. They've just been given a coat of gloss before the matt is applied. It's usually when I'm putting the coat of gloss on I spot any little mistakes, and these lads were no exception, so there's a little touching up to do before the matt goes on. (Then more gloss on the pustules, then moss and grass on the base, then water effects, then drool...) I now have eleven days to paint the two riders and five war hounds and I find I'm looking up dog marking patterns for Celtic mastiffs.

I really must love punishing myself.

I'll pop up an army shot before the tourney. Of course, I've only started with the fimir, but it'll be great to have finally reached the level where I have a playable army!
 
a3.bp.blogspot.com__aYTtRMQSEL4_UkB39eFMfiI_AAAAAAAABfc_lPEXGZPJYk0_s1600_Fimir_57.webp


Two more marlwyrms join their previously completed brother to bring the unit up to three. The ogre parts I had hoarded were a Godsend, providing the musician's horn, the mantrap, bags, body parts and other bits and bobs. Scibor's Celtic shields really did the trick too. For now, the unit is complete, though I will add a fourth wyrm later on, the Gáe Bulg wielding Brodar. I have to locate an appropriate barbed spear head.

On the painting table at the moment are five hounds. The colour scheme is based off Celtic mastiffs, and it does look pretty cool if a little fiddly. I have some base work and detailing left to do, then it's the army packing headache and we're off to blood the Fir Domhan at their first tourney as a full army.

Here a couple more images of the completed musician and standard bearer.

a1.bp.blogspot.com__0VOcHkfmZMk_UkB37s_cXkI_AAAAAAAABfU_baRHTmGfnDE_s1600_Fimir_55.webp


a4.bp.blogspot.com__YtydMpbXuXY_UkB356TdBII_AAAAAAAABfM_JBtgqZzF5E8_s1600_Fimir_56.webp
 
a3.bp.blogspot.com__E3MFwbXnjzw_UkRP6p2Dk4I_AAAAAAAABgQ_tuHGXuXqNeY_s1600_Fimir_59.webp


That's right, I've made it to 2000 points. I can hardly believe I got this far. It's been a long project.

I kicked off this army in 2011 with a test model, the fimir from the old Heroquest game. I then wrestled with the conundrum of building human size fimm warriors, eventually having to make my own heads and a multitude of bits and green stuffery to make the fimm the way I wanted. In the end there were only seven models in the army that have not been converted.

I've had breaks from the project for months at a time, but it's been my main hobby project for nearly three years. This give you some indication of how slow I am at this. It's been really fun though, I've had the notion to do a fimir army for years, and now they're ready to go to war.

Of course, this is only the beginning...

a2.bp.blogspot.com__CrxZ0g_UsCY_UkRSDFeTG6I_AAAAAAAABgc_uUsHTu7Pl3g_s1600_Fimir_60.webp


a2.bp.blogspot.com__dk_9s_AneRE_UkRSWyJPQqI_AAAAAAAABgs_aQB5QXLR34A_s1600_Fimir_63.webp


a2.bp.blogspot.com__gplbWFJzxYg_UkRVa_GQcTI_AAAAAAAABhE_MEuttZyNigQ_s1600_Fimir_62.webp


a2.bp.blogspot.com__xoDltLWmyc0_UkRSekI3HyI_AAAAAAAABg0_49m5bePtPYc_s1600_Fimir_58.webp
 
  • Like
Reactions: wheeljack
Those are some well deserved awards, your army has wound up looking simply stunning.

I hope I get to see your fimir conversions continuing in the future though! :thumbsup:
 
At the moment I'm still very much in the process of tidying up some loose ends with the fimir before I launch into any new units. One of the things I wanted to do was to make a small base extender for my meargh so she could be mounted on a 40x40mm base or a 50x50mm depending on how I was going to field her. Just a wee base add-on I said to myself. Texture the edge to match her 40x40mm base, paint it up, and done.

This is what I ended up with.

a4.bp.blogspot.com__iJ8Vge_h_cc_UqWlGprajFI_AAAAAAAABq0_xNZAuPtm20Y_s1600_Fimir_wip_85.webp


As you can see, the idea expanded a bit. Still some water effects to go on, but other than that, done. When I was digging through my bits box looking for interesting little bits for it, I thought hey, why don't I make it into more of a floating slab of rock magically torn from the bog. Then I could use it to give the meargh some height when she's pretending to be a daemon prince, or I could even magnetise the top so I could put other fimir characters there if I needed a disk rider. So that's the way it went.

a1.bp.blogspot.com__FpoGEty_JZs_UqWmLdjuT_I_AAAAAAAABrE_1EV0bLOM1mg_s1600_Fimir_wip_88.webp


a2.bp.blogspot.com__SsDUDy_Rb34_UqWmL_H28KI_AAAAAAAABrA_tFQ5sVhIY_4_s1600_Fimir_wip_86.webp


I was looking at it last night thinking while it's pretty versatile, does the base sitting on the stone look a bit weird? I've looked at it so much now I can't tell anymore. The other thing is the magnetic steel holds the magnetised base down well, but it's not going to take a major jostle. I have visions of my meargh taking an undignified tumble mid-game.

One thing I am thinking of is to just add a permanent rider to the plinth. A dirach, possibly. Then I could add some paraphernalia to the rock, a familiar, spell book or some other bits. The familiar would be especially appropriate for a dirach. Here's the model I'd be thinking of using, from Oakbound games. He'd need a little conversion, some horns and perhaps a weapon, but other than that he's pretty much bang on. His pose would work well as a rider.

a4.bp.blogspot.com__u18m_69be1A_UqWopSSWf2I_AAAAAAAABrU_UK5AXB3i09g_s1600_Fimir_wip_87.webp


I'd then work up the original base extender for the meargh, and lo, I'd have the meargh and a new mounted character.

Or, maybe I'm just making work for myself.
 
I've been following your plog and thought you were going to build a daemon prince as Balor himself...or was that a greater daemon? Can't remember now, but either way, I would be looking forward to seeing a model of him, especially with the high quality conversion and painting work you put into your models! It's phenomenal!
 
Thanks very much! Oh, he's on the list. Like everything in this army, it takes a long time.

After something of a break, the fimir train is leaving the station. The first one-eyed marsh fiend of the new year is a character, the aged dirach Grunsgul. Originally this model was merely a base extender for my meagh to giver her a 50x50mm base, but has somehow ballooned into an entirely new model. The meargh sitting on the floating rock just looked, well, lame, so I had to make a rider that would sit more naturally on the plinth. I also wanted to be able to use Grunsgul on foot. If I had to build a whole new character, I was going to get the most out of him. Thus it was time for magnets. I hadn't used them before, but once I'd located the appropriate drill bits all was well. The most nerve wracking moment was drilling into the already finished plinth with a power drill, but all went swimmingly.

a1.bp.blogspot.com__N19pykEErlw_UuGN6xAGOyI_AAAAAAAABu8_cdBhm__grM4_s1600_Fimir_64.webp


The model is from Oakbound Games, with some small conversion work. I added horns, as befits a dirach, and also a torc on his arm and a tathlum (concrete balls on a chain) hanging from his belt.

a4.bp.blogspot.com__tSQzld7pBL8_UuGN8x6svJI_AAAAAAAABvI__NCC019G_48_s1600_Fimir_65.webp


On the plinth itself I added some more bits and pieces. A jawbone, book of spells and scroll, as well as the little familiar. Dirach are also known as daemonfriends, and have a particular daemon they forge a close alliance with. In this case the diminutive scroll carrier.
 
a3.bp.blogspot.com__PAJqP86LMcs_UvS_xUtiWHI_AAAAAAAABx4_dbpgyK5V0vQ_s1600_Fimir_66.webp


A small update today. Small and disgusting. I've had the 'crew' for my hellcannon, Crom, primed and on the painting table for some time now. I'm still painting the base they sit into. They are lovely little worm guys from Heresy miniatures. Pretty simple models, the only bit of pop on them is the grub's face in the middle. Still, it's another tick off the list.
 
Latest off the painting table are two less than world-shaking yet very satisfying items for the army. Two base extenders, one for the meargh and one for my hellcannon, Crom Cruach. I've been tinkering away at the bits I needed for the cannon version of Crom for a fair old while in between other models, and it's finally off the table. As for the meargh, the first attempt at a base extender turned into a whole new character. My second attempt was less ambitious and worked out just fine. Both of the bases are lined with rubber steel so the models hold fast during gameplay.

a3.bp.blogspot.com__4NQWMfCNXz8_UwFRDYeIV3I_AAAAAAAABys_Yn8_Eh38_ZU_s1600_Fimir_67.webp


a2.bp.blogspot.com__mA2TjAA6lmo_UwFRF40X8wI_AAAAAAAABzA_zamjhfEV_hY_s1600_Fimir_68.webp


a1.bp.blogspot.com__YjpdAykyXEA_UwFRFhYmDLI_AAAAAAAABy8_tmoImV8LRBM_s1600_Fimir_69.webp
 
Just finished is the unit champion for the fianna fimm, Odhrán the finmor. I added some freehand to the axe as it was a bit plain, and while I do love this model, there's some definite weirdness going on around the hand holding the axe where it meets the body. I essentially painted in some details to mask it. Next up are his five mates.

a4.bp.blogspot.com__d9GLgZeVoyo_UzQ7VtBpCLI_AAAAAAAAB88_eesRn_L1I_w_s1600_Fimir_71.webp
 
Thanks Borgnine. The swamp water is done in a few ways depending on the base. I use resin bases, so on those it's just painted and then coated in gloss varnish. On others I have to sculpt it with green stuff. Another set of bases I use have recesses, so on them I use water effects (EnviroTex Lite) mixed with a small drop on dark brown enamel paint to tint the resin.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu