• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

The Fleshy Flesh Court of Flesh-Eaters (plus other undead!)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
The big guys look great - I thought that Mantic had only one model for them and they would look monopose, but you avoided that :) The chestpiece on the champion was a great choice :thumbsup: The armor on the strigoi looks not dirty enough for my own tastes, but it's still painted great - you achieved a really clean effect there, looks very realistic. What did you use for that?

Nice army.... I really like the ghoul king with wings He looks imposing hovering above the ghouls.... great work

@Borgnine
I did a lot of hard work to cut up and reform the mantic guys. I have 10 of them all with custom poses and a few with different heads to mix it up.

The armor is a little bland, I need to do more but not sure what to do. I used a technique which I developed for my Skaven metals;

1. leadebelcher
2. agrax-earthshade to get it dirty
3. orange wash to give it rust look (watered down orange color)
4. Edge highlight with leadbelcher to make the details pop

I think it needs another layer of the orange wash to make it rustier. Because the armor is so detailed its hard to bring out the rustyness. I should paint some of the details different colors (belt buckle, necklace) but I'm not sure what color. I painted the belt brown and the book green but its very subtle. Overall the skin really pops against the metal contrast so I really like the way it came out.

Yes, its a witch elf head with a custom bone spire crown. I really don't like her helmet, it hides her face and hair and kind of de-feminizes her.

Her lore from the end times is really, really bad. She shows up after decades of silence only to be nearly killed by a Chimera, fail her quest and then embarrass herself ancient Nehekhara.

Her original lore is amazing. "Nagash the Unbroken" by Mike Lee for example. I was inspired by old artwork of her.

Neferata still looks like the beautiful young woman she was when she ruled Lahmia, though her sunless existence has given her pure white skin, and her eyes have turned yellow. Long black tresses frame an exquisite face that is still capable of inspiring worship, though it is incapable of expressing pity.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
That headswap was a great idea, really, really looks much better! And she's so well painted too - great job! It makes me consider buying her and that head for something later xD

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Great shots! A wonderfully painted army on a great scenery :thumbsup: And regarding all those mantic heads - while I'm sitting here running out of GW heads and having a surplus of Mantic ones, we should have made an exchange some time ago xD

lol, I still have a ton of both. Can never have enough heads!

Twin Terrors

This guy is 4 years old. I managed to refurbish my old (terrible) paint job to make him an "Infested" Terrorgheist

The Book of the Dead

Still working on my Necromancer, but he is looking very cool so far

My army was one of the few nominated for best painted. Mine was actually the only Death that was nominated. There was so many beautiful armies though, not sure why.

Great looking ghouls! I think they look boss led by your cool flying Strig conversion and the courtier! I really like your take on the courtier, looks like it could double as a Strig necro.

Here's some cool shots of my LVO games.

Game 1: (12 year old's) mixed TK list. I think he forgot to do some things and I won a minor victory
Game 2: Nurgle Blightkings with -1 to hit battalion and the Glottkin. Pushed them around slowly to take all 4 points and get a major
Game 3: Alarielle and snow Sylvaneth. Down to the wire it was 6-7 objective points so they won a major victory.
Game 4: Khorne and mixed chaos. Managed to kill more for a minor victory.
Game 5: Mixed wood elf + sylvaneth. Cool combo with dryad horde and Sisters of the Thorne. I rushed the points and held them hard for a major.
Game 6: Made it to 13th place only to get blown out by the bad end of a khorne beating stick. Sayl launched 15 Skullreapers with enough buffs to make your head spin, and it was over about as soon as it began. I didn't even have time to get any good pics in.

Finished 25 before soft scores (extra minor victory for best painted nomination), but those final results were never posted by GW.

Attachments

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Cool photos! Those were some great battles for sure! I didn't look so closely earlier, I really like those skeletons! That turquoise. red and bone look great together, especially on that dark background your bases provide :)