• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

The Legend of the Cannibals

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
AMAZING,I second Dark Rose on the arrows and cuts.
I'd have him cresting a rocky incline with scrub and plants about.
Great use of the 'chick on a stick'.

Thanks guys.

gazoline said:
... i find the gorilla a bit dull as a warghulf.. but fits the theme prefectly, and i have no better idea.. so go for it!=)
I will :) I think I might have an idea or two to spice him up a bit further, but you will just have to wait and see. I'm away for a couple of days now, so don't know when I have the time to get more done on him... Nor anything else.

For direwolves, i like the lionesses and a lion male as doom wolf. as someone posted links. that would be cool=)
Really? I'm thinking more of hyenas - Lions feel a bit too good for the quite bad wolves...

But, we'll see... Thanks for your input.

untitled_musketeer said:
I love it! Where the funk did you find that? It's epic!
It's this little piece - Victim on Spit - that I was going to use as a unitfiller. But this use was a lot better :)

I bought it at the same time as the ape, which also is from Reaper...

Dark Rose said:
YES!!!
Have you considered one or two arrows or broken off spears sticking out here or there trailing some blood that he basically ignores as if they matter little or nothing to his monstrous vitality?

I'm thinking he needs to be raised up a bit on his base too so his feet don't look like they are falling off the edges.... maybe a slightly larger piece of craggy green/ grey slate all covered with moss and jungle creepers. That could be epic!
Both spears and base are excellent suggestions - thanks! I'll do that.

Mr Saturday said:
Aquarium plants are great for that. He does need a bit of height, the slate idea is cool. Some totems in the undergrowth too...
Count Lasombra said:
AMAZING,I second Dark Rose on the arrows and cuts.
I'd have him cresting a rocky incline with scrub and plants about.
Great use of the 'chick on a stick'.
Keep them ideas coming!

Cuzzy

Varghulf
Count Lasombra said:
I think you should use him as an Abbyssal terror...that's too much monkey to be a Varghulf.
No I disagree an undead elephant would look a lot cooler as an abyssal terror xD

And for the dire wolfs I would choose the hyena´s too. They are more similair to the dire wolfs.

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
Nah,Zombie elephant as a zombie dragon;his breath weapon could be a shower of diseased blood from his trunk xD.
I thought about suggesting the monkey for that role...then I considered what his "breath weapon" would have be be :scared:.

Cuzzy

Varghulf
But I still think the gorilla fits the role of varghulf better because human and ape are pretty close relatives.
Isn´t an abbysal terror a combination of multiple creatures? what about the back of a zebra/antelope/giraffe, the head of a lion and the wings of a vulture? I think that would look damned cool xD

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
How about the head of a goat on the neck of a giraffe on the body of a hippopotomous with batwings xD.
You have a point though,Cuz.

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hey,

Just seen this mini and I thought of you. It reminded me of your Wights. I'm not sure what he could be in your army, maybe he might make a nice necro or something?

Cheers,

u_m[/u]

Count Lasombra said:
I think you should use him as an Abbyssal terror...that's too much monkey to be a Varghulf.
Hm... Abyssal Terror, you say. Not sure, I really think he fits quite nice as a Varghulf... And I want to have a Varghulf in the army, so I guess he'll have to stay as one...

Cuzzy said:
No I disagree an undead elephant would look a lot cooler as an abyssal terror xD

And for the dire wolfs I would choose the hyena´s too. They are more similair to the dire wolfs.
Undead Elephant... That would be nice, indeed. But maybe as a Zombiedragon, in that case, like Count Lasombra suggests... Or how big is an Abyssal Terror supposed to be?

I'll go for the Hyena then :)

Cuzzy said:
what about the back of a zebra/antelope/giraffe, the head of a lion and the wings of a vulture? I think that would look damned cool xD
Count Lasombra said:
How about the head of a goat on the neck of a giraffe on the body of a hippopotomous with batwings xD.
You have a point though,Cuz.
Oh... If I come by all those parts, I'll sure give it a try. If not for anything than the pure awesomeness of it all!

But what do people use for Abbysal terrors? The official model (I think I've seen one), or something else? I have been thinking of a manticore type, but maybe that isn't right in size and such?

untitled_musketeer said:
Just seen this mini and I thought of you. It reminded me of your Wights. I'm not sure what he could be in your army, maybe he might make a nice necro or something?
Oh, nice! I have actually seen that before, but forgot all about it. Now just to find where I can get it...*Checks pic* Found it!

------

Still away, and I might have got a new apartment to move to, so it might be a while before I get around to paint again.

But I relly appreciate all your inputs, ideas, suggestions and everything. Really encouraging.

Cheers!

Demonic elephants? Hmmmm?

Wasn't there one of those in all those old Cthulhu mythos stories by Lovecraft? I think RAFM even did a mini.....

Yep.... found him....

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg31.imageshack.us%2Fimg31%2F2959%2Fchaugafaugn.jpg&hash=0812839f8f2447e9e873d84cbfd40c42

Might make a weird idol... or could look really cool riding the old Slaan palanquin.... ;)

Now... for an undead African themed abyssal terror.... Only one real choice. "The Canopic Beast" from the Smog game.... HEIGHT : 45mm - LENGTH : 90mm...

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg339.imageshack.us%2Fimg339%2F7782%2Fsmog481.jpg&hash=c50eaa38f26dd7261ba09a965b2ca468

Set up perfectly for a rider without looking tooo "Tomb King".... :thumbsup:

The Canopic Beast looks awesome! I want one. I suppose the only thing that needs to stay on the base is the legs and arm, which sounds reasonable.

Back to Baron's army, really like it so far. The standard bearer and winged vampire are by far my foavorites, great colors. The gorrila looks great, and even better now with the chick-on a-stick.

Dark Rose
That elephant would indeed be very cool on the display board, as a center piece in the tribes village... (hopefully something I'll do in the future). Struggling to see how to use it in game though... (but when doing a future cthulhu based LM army, this guy is in!)

Now that Canopic Beast - very nice find! As an abyssal terror though, shouldn't it have wings? Forgive me, I'm really not very experienced with VC, and haven't got the whole grips of the things in the book yet...

I actually wouldn't mind having yet another Varghulf (Crochulf), but that guy maybe is too big, or just not having the right feel to it? Or?

If only I could find a suitable orangutan model. (yes, I know, no orangutangs in Africa - such a great ape though...)

Guyzooip
Thanks. Yeah, really glad I had the chick-on-a-stick, fit in well.

--------------

No new painting, sadly. I have been away for a bit, and now I've begun moving, which will mean some time away from the brushes still.

But I really appreciate all the help from you guys, and all stuff you find and point me to (although my wallet/girl might disagree). Keep it coming if you find anything interesting.

I wouldn't mind getting some help with the fell bats - bats are ok, but GW's are really fugly, so... Anyone know some good models to use instead?

Cheers/ Jake

Cuzzy

Varghulf
since you got an ape like varghulf why not use ape like fell bats. If you can make winged baboons or something, that would be awesome.

Cuzzy

Yeah, I actually found some nice baboon models yesterday, and they'll fit perfectly in with some sort of wings, I'm sure. Good idea.

Cheers!

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Really like the updates since I last looked at this plog. The Gorilla is great, especially with the naked lady on a stick (got to get me one of them xD).

Baboon fell bats sound like fun as well, look forward to your next pics.

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hey,

I haven't seen any updates here for a while. I hope the project is still going! I've recently stumbled across this mini while browsing Studio McVey. I think it would really work well within your army.

Maybe an ideal Necro?

Cheers,

u_m

untitled_musketeer

Hi.

Yeah, the project is still going, however, I have had some other stuff to do for a while. I might just get to start painting again soon. Hopefully.

The McVey-lady sure is great, and I actually already have it! So, expect it here in a near future.

Actually, I must confess I have been thinking if it would be possible to use these army as not only a VC-army, but also maybe as a very low-tech empire one. The ghoul/cannibals would perhaps then be flaggelants (minus the wysiwyg flail sadly...maybe instead have Power of the Ancestors first round only :) ).

Also, although having some trouble with different base-sizes, I'm thinking it could work very well as Beastmen too. The Ghouls in this case would be additional handweapon Gors. And the Gorilla a Ghorillagon.

I might already have found a way to use either a converting movement tray (from 20mm to 25mm bases) or just one for every single one... Might look stupid though...

Bad idea? Or doable?

Anyways, thanks for your suggestions, and I appreciate every help I can get with this.

Cheers

J

Cuzzy

Varghulf
Good to have you back (thanks to some threadomancy of U_T :) ).
If you think everything out properly, with some good use of movement trays and explaining to your opponent, your ideas are very doable. And it saves a lot of money :thumbsup:

Cheers all, for your encouraging words.

I have had some time now at work, sitting and watching the factory machines spitting out plastic bags all night, so I got to do some painting.

Now, I was a bit limited, not having the best and finest of brushes, so I will have to go back and fix the details later. Also, the camera is way to complicated for me, and I just don't get the settings right.

But just so you know I'm still at it:

Cuzzy

Varghulf
:happy:
Oh Nice, I especially like the last one. He looks really brutal, and you´re painting has done him justice :thumbsup:
The first one needs some fixing near the eyes and teeth, but looks quite nice already.

Good that you´re still at it, we´ve been left in the dark for a while.

Cuzzy said:
:happy:
Oh Nice, I especially like the last one. He looks really brutal, and you´re painting has done him justice :thumbsup:
The first one needs some fixing near the eyes and teeth, but looks quite nice already.

Good that you´re still at it, we´ve been left in the dark for a while.
Thanks.

Yeah, I saw that quite a lot needs fixing on this last batch of models. Might have been a bit to eager to show you that I'm still here, and painting :)

Vekarin the Dark Bladed said:
I can't believe that I haven't found this thread before this!
It's awesome! xD
Thanks, glad you found it and you're welcome to check by anytime :)

-------

But, sad thing is I might have to take a break from painting a little while (just when I got started again...). Got stuck in a machine at work yesterday, and the inside of my right hand is quite, eh... sort of burned. No big deal, I think, but it might take a while (as in a couple of weeks or so) before I can use my hand fully again.

Not fun, but could have been worse, so...