• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Update!

I did say I would try to at least keep my plogs update so here is one about the latest little project I finished.

Pretty much since the 9th Age started I've been meaning to replace my old Von Carstein banners with new ones to fit the new fluff, and at the same time improve stuff I didn't like about the old ones. I've done this with the Skeleton banner and replaced the old one with the rose in front of the moon, which basically got a completely new motive. I want all my flags to be a black silhouette in front of it, so the rose had to go. Instead I did something completely different.

Next on the list was the BSB, which I've been putting off for a long time. I was mostly happy with the old one, but the composition of it never felt quite right so I did something a little different. These were the early sketches:
cOWhs9t.jpg

The idea was to have a vampiress (Ludmila) in silhouette in front of the moon. Did a lot of tries on poses and such.

Next I did time attempt with paint on paper to try and get the composition right.
7Kqout3.jpg

Here you can see the thing coming together. Also did a lot of practice runs on the vampiress and on the letters (look at all them K:s!).

Then I started on the real banner, here is a WIP:
fRRtBXG.jpg

And then, finally, we move on to the finished thing:
BV3sOKA.jpg
17bvXaU.jpg
K2OWMYe.jpg
0AyXwD4.jpg
kpSoj8H.jpg

And ending it all with a group shot of all of the new banners for the 9th Age (the poor little skeleton has to stand on a pedestal to even get noticed):
TRrS0pe.jpg

The next banner to redo is the Barrow Guard one, but I don't know when I'll get around to that. I'm overall happy with it and there is nothing on it that connects it to the old world, but its older and that tells. My style has changed since I did it.

Anyways, that is all for now. Hope you enjoyed it :)

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Good to see you back ;) that BSB looks terrific, I just love that blue metal of yours. The banner is just awesome too - one thing that I don't like about it is the 'von' part of the title - it looks a bit weird to me and breaks the axial composition of the picture. Still, great stuff - those banners look superb together.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Outstanding. That's a beautiful banner and I love the blue colour scheme of the banner and the models.
Thanks, I'm glad to hear that :)

Good to see you back ;) that BSB looks terrific, I just love that blue metal of yours. The banner is just awesome too - one thing that I don't like about it is the 'von' part of the title - it looks a bit weird to me and breaks the axial composition of the picture. Still, great stuff - those banners look superb together.
I certainly get what you mean about the 'von' scroll, that did bother me too. I was thinking about making the other end of the scroll swirl up in a similar pattern opposite, but decided against that because of the position of the sword. Still happy with the overall result though, so I don't think I'll be redoing this again any time soon :P

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
And here I stand, thinking my own free hand banners would do a nice job :'( dude, they look terrific! Also even better those pics are coming from you, implying to see you some more time around!

I for myself like the “von“ part, it's like a slightly dissonantic note in an otherwise harmonic piece, it's just right. Killing part is how it works together on all the banners. I'm kind of in love.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Hi all!

I just finished a unit of 10 Spectral Hunters for my T9A army, made with the GW Hexwraiths. They have the option to take a wizard Champion if you use the Nosferatu Bloodline, so I magnetized an extra torso with some conversions to represent that.
bWsR5Em.jpg BJelGbj.jpg
jNLvmeJ.jpg

Reactions: MedMos

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Ha! Popping back in with a bang is what I always wished for you'd do!
I love those guys, that spectral style in contrast with the "material" stuff is something I didn't see often, but it's awesome!
Welcome back my friend, and be there more of this!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Good to see you back - with some goodies to boot! Really nice cavalry unit and I like that wizard conversion. Also, your style is still very recognizable! :)

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Thanks guys!

I do check in on the forums every now and then but I don't post much. Since I have so many more project now than just OnG and VC the plogs here don't see that much action. Though I seem to have forgotten an update or two, such as my Shriking Horror, so I'll include some pics of that here.

Also, I want to mention here too that I have a Youtube Channel now. It is called The Hat Rack and mostly consists of videos of me mumbling a little while painting.

The Shrieking Horror Dagny:
roxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F0vzcoTz.jpg
roxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F7rBwKeH.jpg roxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FjgOVHd0.jpg

Reactions: MedMos

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Recently finished a project I've been planning since 2014, a conversion on the Mortarch kit. I lie the concept of that kit, but not the pose, nor the riders. Some reposing and a magnet in the saddle, along with detachable chestplate, left me with this:
si4IS3S.jpg
1OpMFZw.jpg

Using the same riders as for my Skeletal Steed, I can field this beast with most Bloodlines. I need to paint up another chestplate and I'll be ale to put some Brotherhood vampires on top too.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
very good job on the tail. Did you warm it to bend?
Thank you. Yes, I submerged the parts I wanted to bend in boiling water, and used various tools to push and pull on the plastic. It works fairly well, but I had to use some green stuff to clean up the joints that got a bit warped, and a few damages that appeared. Injection molded plastic isn't homogeneous, so when heated, it can deform a little, and some strange marks appear.

I also have another update. Painted up another chestplate for the revenant, so that I can now field it for all four bloodlines that can use it:
b60taZ3.jpg

And I painted up a Nosferatu vampire on foot, mainly to use in Skirmish Campaigns. Converted from a genestealer cult model.
llxOCo4.jpg

Nyeave

Zombie
Jul 11, 2014
Hi I love the genestealer conversion. Can I ask where you got the left hand from? It looks too good to be home sculpted :)

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Just caught up and as usual, love the ingenuity with the models.

I've got to admit I've never been a fan of the Mortach models, a step too far for me with the mounts.

But I love the use of old models and you do great work with the colour scheme, especially the toned down red.

Also got to echo the others, the use of the genestealer is genius 😁

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Hi I love the genestealer conversion. Can I ask where you got the left hand from? It looks too good to be home sculpted :)
Thanks mate! Both hands are from the original kit. You get the option of a skull or a knife for the left hand, and I just opted for the skull.

Just caught up and as usual, love the ingenuity with the models.

I've got to admit I've never been a fan of the Mortach models, a step too far for me with the mounts.

But I love the use of old models and you do great work with the colour scheme, especially the toned down red.

Also got to echo the others, the use of the genestealer is genius 😁

Thanks! I quite enjoy combining old with new when it comes to GW stuff :)

Also have one more model to share with you, a Banshee I painted a few months ago. Nothing special about her really, but I did get a capture her in a cool gif:

jHND56R.gif

EDIT: Image tool doesn't seem to work, but maybe a link will

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
That's a fantastic basheet @Mad 'At. I like the mixture of ethereal tones combined with realistic hair, it certainly makes the model stand-out. Please keep them coming!

Gederas

Skeleton
Jun 15, 2021
So, now that I have an account, I can actually gush about the awesome models here :D

The Dread Abyssal conversion you did has inspired my own, but I'm just curious exactly how you reposed it? You mentioned boiling water but I'm not entirely sure? Did you have the base set up first, then bent the tail while using the base as reference?

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
So, now that I have an account, I can actually gush about the awesome models here :D

The Dread Abyssal conversion you did has inspired my own, but I'm just curious exactly how you reposed it? You mentioned boiling water but I'm not entirely sure? Did you have the base set up first, then bent the tail while using the base as reference?
Thanks for the comment mate!

The bending was all done before any assembly. Even though plastic glue welds things together fairly well, the joints are still weaker than the rest. So when you heat it up and try to bend it, it is just the joints that bend. Therefore, I did all the bending before assembly. This meant a LOT of dryfitting before and during the bending process, to make sure I got the pose right. The tail was the easy part though, the hind legs were more tricky. I bend his pelvis bone a fair bit to angle the legs forward. The pelvis bone consist of a piece of spine and two "rods" connecting it to the curved disk were both legs are attached. Be careful only to bend the rods, that way the legs still attach neatly. I also repositioned the toes on the hind legs a bit. Here I didn't bend though, and instead cut the toes off and glued them back at an angle, then green stuffed the gaps. The purpose was to create a flatter sole of the feet.

The base I did last, shaping a piece of styrofoam to a perfect shape for the model to stand on.

Reactions: Gederas

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu