• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Upcoming Warhammer Fantasy Releases- Including Nagash & new VC stuff.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I think his magic armour and sword fell victim to "He is insanely powerful in the magic phase and we want to keep him at 1000 points"-itis.

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Totally buying Nagash :D Although i don't game any more surely 4+ armour and ward saves are a bit naff, other then that be interesting to see him in play. Excited about the prospect of the other models to be released

Actually, wouldn't he get Thunderstomp for being monster?

It says he can use up to 10 dice to cast a spell (6 normal and up to 4 additional from his storage)
That's what's I ment, just words failed me..

Is this in the August 16 issue?
I believe so... Not sure. Warseer confirmed preorders to be the 23 of August...

His save may not be great but he is toughness 7 so anything less than str6 needs 6's to wound (I hate they removed autofails if more than double T >S). He re-rolls miscast results for some more safety and you know he has magic restoring wounds. Your main concern is war machines but I am seriously expecting the new lore to have some big arsed raising spells, which he then triples the range and effect of (TRIPLES) so war machines should not get more than a turn before they are buried in bodies. His Sword is not that bad, and against MI and MC he will rip it up, talk about a combat res monster in that situation 6 attacks, 3's to hit, 2's to wound multiply wounds by 3... no save for you unless you have a 1+ save which is now 6+.. Then there seems to be a multi stacking unstable reduction abilities within the force between him, the Heralds and then the battle standard... His spell knowledge is unreal, 8 plus a auto Raising spell yes please, with the ability to utilise different lores and therefore lore abilities. His staff does what it used to with this additional bit about using power to provide heroic killing blow which could be useful at times (though likely unneeded).

Finally the wording of the Heroic Killing blow section makes me wonder if he does not generate additional attacks in some form on top of his stats, though this may just be due to thunderstomps additional d6 attacks...

I am very excited :D

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
That's what's I ment, just words failed me..

I believe so... Not sure. Warseer confirmed preorders to be the 23 of August...

His save may not be great but he is toughness 7 so anything less than str6 needs 6's to wound (I hate they removed autofails if more than double T >S). He re-rolls miscast results for some more safety and you know he has magic restoring wounds. Your main concern is war machines but I am seriously expecting the new lore to have some big arsed raising spells, which he then triples the range and effect of (TRIPLES) so war machines should not get more than a turn before they are buried in bodies. His Sword is not that bad, and against MI and MC he will rip it up, talk about a combat res monster in that situation 6 attacks, 3's to hit, 2's to wound multiply wounds by 3... no save for you unless you have a 1+ save which is now 6+.. Then there seems to be a multi stacking unstable reduction abilities within the force between him, the Heralds and then the battle standard... His spell knowledge is unreal, 8 plus a auto Raising spell yes please, with the ability to utilise different lores and therefore lore abilities. His staff does what it used to with this additional bit about using power to provide heroic killing blow which could be useful at times (though likely unneeded).

Finally the wording of the Heroic Killing blow section makes me wonder if he does not generate additional attacks in some form on top of his stats, though this may just be due to thunderstomps additional d6 attacks...

I am very excited :D
The heroic killing blow says it modifies his normal attacks, so they aren't extras.

It also says the the lore of undeath restores points, rather than models... I am wondering if he may be able to to just bring stuff back from the dead or create new units that s not jus skeles or sees.

The heroic killing blow says it modifies his normal attacks, so they aren't extras.
sorry you miss understood I realise they were not extras the text says including those he makes with Mortis, well my point is what other attacks does he have? Thunderstomp and ?

It also says the the lore of undeath restores points, rather than models... I am wondering if he may be able to to just bring stuff back from the dead or create new units that s not jus skeles or sees.
Read it again, it does not 'restore' it 'Summons' that's a HUGE difference... :D Defo agree the points thing makes it seem like he can summon various unit types..

Mioum

Crypt Horror
sorry you miss understood I realise they were not extras the text says including those he makes with Mortis, well my point is what other attacks does he have? Thunderstomp and ?
The thing with the "including attacks made with the Mortis Blade" is probably just fail-proofing, just to say that the HKB is on top of his weapon bonuses.

My FLGS is saying that the August 16th issue is Grey Knights (they have it in the store). So it must be next weeks issue...

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
If the next edition of fantasy has 'unbound' list construction a la the current edition of 40k, then he'll become my go-to 1,000 point list. I will bring him to all of my games and everyone will hate me.

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
All hail Nagash! He is just amazing. Level 5, 8 spells, triple spell range/raising? Just fantastic. Although, I won't use him, points size to large and having to collect another army not worth it.

El Syf

Crypt Horror
Archaon hides in the corner.
Really didn't expect them to be so generous with him 1000 of well worth it :)

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I love his rules. I mean, sure, with only a 4++ save, he's cannon fodder, but what big monster isn't? I can't hold that against him, that's a problem with cannons. That said, he's got tons of attacks & wounds, strength 8 with his sword and d3 wounds in close combat, so he's an absolute beast. And his magic abilities are positively off the hook, though some of his arcane abilities will depend on the quality of his personal lore.

But even if lore of undeath is garbage (which I don't think anyone expects), he's still a level 5 wizard who knows up to 8 other spells chosen from several very good lores, who re-rolls miscast results, can can hold over four power dice. If he burns six of his spells on a single lore, he can guarantee access to a spell of his choice, and still have two left over for another lore (unfortunately, you have to declare how many to use on what lore first, you you can't just roll one at a time until you get what you want, but even so). Smash things with the purple wind from Death! Take lore of vampires and hang out with a mortis engine for +7 to cast!

In general, I find his rules are very true to his previous incarnation, which frankly surprised me. I was unprepared to believe that GW was bringing back Nagash at all, despite all the hints pointing to that fact over the last few years, but even if I had let myself believe, I never would have expected his rules to live up to his lore so well.

The End has truly come for the peoples of the Warhammer World.

my thought on Nagash....
He is completely OverPowered
He is completely OverPriced

i have no clue in what kind of army you field a general that is a monster that cant have any cover or LoS that costs 1k points.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
@He's too big for <4k peeps:

Couple things there. The campaign book may have reasons you can break Lord %, if he even gets chosen for an army in the conventional sense. Also Lord % might go away in 9th. Also, battlescroll/Storm of Magic style extrapercentile spending? Or warhammer fantasy gets Unbound. There's a lot of things we don't know anything about for this release. Bemoaning a 4k list building might be premature.

Banat

Varghulf
Fantasy Unbound would be horrific.

I'm fairly sure the idea of Nagash is that he can just be taken on his own, without an army (or maybe with a small bodyguard of new units they might be releasing) then during the battle he just raises his own army around him.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
So help me out here. The Books allow Nagash 9 spells, one of which is always Raze. Nagash is also a lvl 5.

Say, some Item killing thing happens to him. 9 spells gone. But being a lvl 5, is he capable of casting 14 spells before some Elf unmakes his Books? What kinda wizard can't cast for donk after his items crap out on him? I'd like to think those WD write ups will be tightened by the time the campaign book drops.

Aedin

Black Knight
Now I am hearing rumors that this will be a new army book separate from vc or tk but using models from both. Seems far fetched but I'm not saying no if it happens lol.