• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Sessioni

Black Knight
Dec 29, 2014
Camping in the shores of arctic ocean in northern Norway.. vodka happened.
TrJ2dXx.jpg

Reactions: Theerteen

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
May 10, 2011
Hey, Masterspark! Beautiful sword! Have you read 'Der Altenn Fechter' by Christian Egenolff? Really fascinating read for us who like our historical weaponry. ( I imagine you have!) Zweihander had to be big - it is as much about impressing the opponent as it is about hitting them!

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Hi Jeff. I'm familiar with the text that Egenolff has on the longsword, although I've never been convinced that it (and a few others) relates to actual two-handed swords. Are you familiar with the Wiktenauer site? It's a wiki that compiles all the known fencing manuals and other such stuff, it's quite a good resource.

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page

And here's the page for the manual I've been working with the most.

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Diogo_Gomes_de_Figueyredo

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
May 10, 2011
Aah, yes, I've come across this before - it's very good. I'm currently getting back to using a Danish axe, ready for Hastings 950th anniversary next year. Forgot how heavy mine is!

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
As a historian I always get a bit bummed out by how much my friends who do "historical" fighting take speculation for facts.

Awesome picture by the way @MasterSpark - you're very handsome :)

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
May 10, 2011
It is a bit depressing. I try really hard to match my kit to museum pieces or to manuscript illuminations, but have been told off for " inaccuracy" by people wearing point shoes.( " errr , 200 years or so out!") It is very difficult to be 100% right , but it's not hard to make the effort. Combat boots did not exist in 1066!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu