• Got some models to paint? Want to do it as a challenge in a group who help and encourage each other? Join our Tale of Painters - Third Edition. Any models, any army!

Age of sigmar

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
All that sound and fury signifying nothing, eh? Oy... I think I need to retire for the evening.

Undying Scourge

Blood Knight
FINALLY MY FAVOURITE UNIT IS AS DEADLY AS IT SHOULD BE! AT LONG LAST! HOORAY!

Still, no points costs, so how are we supposed to set up games?

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
Some of the warscrolls are interesting though slightly disappointed most of the customising has been removed it's kind of exactly like warmachine/ hordes, still trying to work out what marks do on chaos warrior units, I think nurgle is +1 wound?????

Any units that can summon are strange..... A daemon prince can summon a daemon prince, zombies can summon zombies daemon units can summon their own units why bother taking a dedicated wizard

Seems way too simplified than what it was, seems alright as a skirmish game though no points makes it weird. Note most units have a minimum unit size usually 10 apart from single stuff like chariots etc. I'll prob start up a small chaos war and formation with a lord, sorcerer, 2 chaos warrior units plus chosen and chariots etc for some quick games when bored

Still confused are there any requirements for an army????? Or can I just take what ever I feel like for example a whole army of lords or just Nagash that's what's really bugging

Undying Scourge

Blood Knight
Think about it though... if everyone can take unlimited forces of elite units, of characters, what is stopping them from doing so? I have 50 blood knight models, what's preventing me from taking 50 vampire lords, that can boost each other with their command ability? Or taking 10 vampire lords and 40 Blood Knights, then giving each Blood Knight 10 more attacks with the cumulative command abilities?

This is actually really really insane.

EDIT: Silly me I forgot that only the General gets command abilities.

Banat

Varghulf
Any units that can summon are strange..... A daemon prince can summon a daemon prince, zombies can summon zombies daemon units can summon their own units why bother taking a dedicated wizard.

Nope. Read the rule again. DEATH WIZARDS have the summon zombie spell. Zombies are not death wizards . The spell for the unit is on the units card but it doesn't mean the unit can use the spell.

Sersi

Skeleton
But...but....the Varghulf can fly now! Bat swarms actually fly now too. There seems to at least been some effort to make the list entries fluffy. The Bloodlines are still represented. The Coven Throne being explicitly Lahmians, who can convert an enemy hero into a Vampire Lord...wow... Then you have the Strigoi with their Flesh-eater minions. Its all just so shockingly different...but exciting.

Banat

Varghulf
The wight kings infernal standard is also awesome. i wouldn't have bothered with him before but now...

No random rolling for magic spells either. All death wizards have access to all of the undead summoning spells. All necromancers have vanhels now. More choice and reliability. the strategy comes in choosing which spell to use since most of the non character wizards can only cast one spell per phase

Undying Scourge

Blood Knight
Yeah actually for all my raging and whining it's actually not looking too bad, in fact many things are actually really really good, like the goofy rules that promote roleplaying and "getting in character", like the Hand of Nagash spell.

Also I am over the moon about how powerful Blood Knights are - they are actual Vampire Thralls now with 3 WOUNDS each! Really tough.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
Nope. Read the rule again. DEATH WIZARDS have the summon zombie spell. Zombies are not death wizards . The spell for the unit is on the units card but it doesn't mean the unit can use the spell.
Oops sorry got mixed up, though daemon princes can which I find funny or any of the other daemons, looks like daemons will compete with vampires for summoning shenanigans. Seriously if GW expect people to want to play this game they should at least have some restrictions on army composition not just take what you want for the laughs, could you imagine the drama if this was played at a tournament

Can we still mix and match between alliances? Or did that die with end times and true fantasy

Banat

Varghulf
Also characters having abilities which weaken based on how many wounds they have left is nice and fluffy. When nagash is on his last wound of course his magic wouldn't have the same potency.

Undying Scourge

Blood Knight
Oops sorry got mixed up, though daemon princes can which I find funny or any of the other daemons, looks like daemons will compete with vampires for summoning shenanigans. Seriously if GW expect people to want to play this game they should at least have some restrictions on army composition not just take what you want for the laughs, could you imagine the drama if this was played at a tournament

Can we still mix and match between alliances? Or did that die with end times and true fantasy

Actually Daemon Princes cannot summon Daemons, because they aren't described as Chaos Wizards. They only know the default two spells - Mystic Shield and Arcane Bolt, and then they can only do that with the Mark of Tzeentch.

Quinten

Grave Guard
Did anyone else notice that every army can summon stuff know. I mean not just undead stuff but basically EVERYTHING IN THEIR ARMYLIST. Honestly it wouldn't be half-bad if their was wargear, options and spells other than summon another unit. I still don't like that things don't rank up though. This would have been fantastic if it was put in the old rank and file system. I mean so many cool and fluffy rules.

Did anyone else notice that every army can summon stuff know. I mean not just undead stuff but basically EVERYTHING IN THEIR ARMYLIST. Honestly it wouldn't be half-bad if their was wargear, options and spells other than summon another unit. I still don't like that things don't rank up though. This would have been fantastic if it was put in the old rank and file system. I mean so many cool and fluffy rules.
I think how it is written now however means you need to actually field the same unit to gain acces to it's summoning spell. So you need zombies to summon zombies and black knights to summon black knights. etc.

Also, I see no other army being able to summon, just the undead ones. What non undead VC stuff are you refering to that we have not always been able to summon? Vampires could summon bats, wolves and ghouls even when I first started playing in 6th edition, that is nothing new.

LordTobiothan

Crypt Horror
Everything not being griped about in these new rules is basically rules copied straight from kings of war.

Everything we hate was made by GW, everything we like was just taken from another system. Hilarious, think I'll just start playing kings of war.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
To be fair to the game, it seems substantially more complex than kings of war, despite using a similar core for the rules. Kings of war irritated me in that respect because the core rules were perfectly functional but there wasn't enough complexity or flavour to anything.

Mr. West

Lahmian Tomb Guard
Well, okay, I just re-read the 'core rules' plus all the 'Warscrolls' for VC, HE and WE, plus a coule others and ... no.

WHFB 8th ed. it is.
For me that is.

Infernal Skull

Wight King
Also Isabella is hitting on 3+ and wounding on 4+ with a wickedly sharp stiletto...

Yup. And she wounds on a 4+ whether she's striking a Steam Tank or a Skavenslave.

But...but....the Varghulf can fly now!

Woo-hoo!
Varghulf.jpg

On second thought, now that I have had my coffee, 6-12 months is aggressive. 18-24 month
Everything not being griped about in these new rules is basically rules copied straight from kings of war.

Everything we hate was made by GW, everything we like was just taken from another system. Hilarious, think I'll just start playing kings of war.

I, for one, LOVE all the special rules. Question is whether there's too many of them to keep track of.

Undying Scourge

Blood Knight
For me this is epic because it's entirely cost free! I already have all the models I need to do a Blood Knight army, the rules are free and what's more, it's goofy light-hearted fun. I always enjoyed the role-playing aspect of Warhammer more than the "gaming". This actually seems perfect for me.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood
On second thought, now that I have had my coffee, 6-12 months is aggressive. 18-24 month

I, for one, LOVE all the special rules. Question is whether there's too many of them to keep track of.

presumably you can just print out and cut up the warscrolls and flick through them during the game
For me this is epic because it's entirely cost free! I already have all the models I need to do a Blood Knight army, the rules are free and what's more, it's goofy light-hearted fun. I always enjoyed the role-playing aspect of Warhammer more than the "gaming". This actually seems perfect for me.

It certainly allows for some wacky army lists but the lack of any sort of points system makes me think almost all games are going to be really unbalanced, at least to begin with

Infernal Skull

Wight King

Yeah. That's why I stopped playing Warmachine: Because every. single. unit. has special rules that interact with other models, or trigger based on things happening around them. It definitely is too much to keep track of.

Fortunately, the rules on the VC warscrolls aren't really much more complicated than what we already had, and a lot of the units seem to have similar effects: Banners let you recover wounds, musicians let you charge at least 6" Bonus to hit if you have a lot of guys, etc.

There also doesn't appear to be too many "combo" interactions. Another drawback to playing Warmachine is that you need to know the combos that every other army can pull off and how to counter them or you will lose. There doesn't seem to be a "general kill" victory condition in AoS, either.