• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Age of sigmar

New considerations about Ossiarch Bonereapers.

IDK, they're nice (especially the Necropolis Stalkers and the Mortek Crawler), but for now I'm not sold on them. Plus, what do we see? 3 units, 3 heroes and a warmachine? that would be one of the poorest range of miniatures...

Last edited:
New considerations about Ossiarch Bonereapers.

IDK, they're nice (especially the Necropolis Stalkers and the Mortek Crawler), but for now I'm not sold on them. Plus, what do we see? 3 units, 3 heroes and a warmachine? that would be one of the poorest range of miniatures...
"The Ossiarch Bonereapers will be invading a Mortal Realm near you soon, and we’ve not even shown you all their incredible new models yet!"

Some new models are yet to be seen, it seems.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky

You can see some of the other releases for them as well
Mounted general / hero (middle left), priest / wizard on foot (bottom left) and some sort of Caster priest carried on some walking skull throne (above the behemoth)

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I was completely wrong :D. Oh well, never mind. I am not impressed by most of the models I have to say and the concept does not really interest me very much either. I am disappointed.

I was completely wrong :D. Oh well, never mind. I am not impressed by most of the models I have to say and the concept does not really interest me very much either. I am disappointed.
that's pretty much the general reaction.
There's an active debate about it on Lustria online, and no one really likes them... with some exceptions. I'll copy & paste a positive post about the Gothizzar Harvester:

So, what do I see there?

I see a monstrous machine made of bone, OK.
It smashes or slices up stuff with its fists/kopeshs, depending on configuration, and it most likely bites. I prefer the crocodile head btw.

Why is there a guy in the crotch?
If we take a look from behind/above, and at its name, then we get a hint. This is a harvester. The crotch face/arms gather the bones from the battlefield and store them in the back.

So this is a bit like a corpse cart, just more industrialized. Not a guy with a skewer that gathers the corpses, but a combine harvester that turns enemies into resources in one step.
(I like that part of the paint job, too. The bones in the back are still a bit bloody.)

To be honest I would love to see it animated. The little arms hand the body parts to each other, rip the flesh off and store the bones.

The Ossiarch Bonereapers are doing what their name and lore say, and it is right there in their game mechanic, in this model.
I really like the idea of this model and of this army.

Now, they are not as great as they could be aesthetically. A bit too much greeble, and I also don't like that they used different bone colors there (especially the grey). But I think that a good paint job can make them a lot more bearable.

the first thing I would consider is removing the flag on top. I think that would improve the lines of the model.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
They are definitely goofy & over the top, with silly grins and bumpy knobby bone armor and hats, odd proportions, etc. 'Toyetic' is the word I would use, in that these look like miniatures that know and accept and embrace the fact that miniatures are just 'toys for big kids'. The remind me of He man toys or Army of Darkness or Skeleton Warriors (the cartoon show, not the warhammer unit). The Mortarch reminds me a bit of Mum-ra. The armor design calls to mind nothing so much as Skeletor's fancy gold armor from the end of the live action Masters of the Universe movie. I can see where more serious minded players would really dislike all of that, but personally? I grew up on that stuff, so for me the whole faction looks super nostalgic and just fun as heck.

So Yeah, I really like these. I like their concept & personality maybe a bit more than the models themselves. While I'm maybe a bit of an exception in really liking what GW seems to have been aiming for with these, even I can admit that they're maybe not as idealized a realization of that vision as, say, the Daughters of Khaine or Gloomspites or Nighthaunts were for their respective visions. Even for something self-consciously silly & toyetic, the proportions on the big bone harvesting monster feel off, and the crotch face is maybe a bit much. The noses in general aren't great, and the faces without them look better, imo.

But yeah, overall I really love what we've seen so far. The bishop looking four armed liche in the walking bone throne? That biz is my jam right there. Both the scythy ghosty caster and the bone caster modeled in the process of building a new ossiarch look absolutely fantastic to me. The Mortarch is amazing - though since Arkhan is a native part of this faction I'll probably build around him instead, at least to start. I like all versions of the stalkers we've seen. Probably my favorite version is dual wielding greatswords, but I do really like the heads on the halberd & shield variant. Catapult is great. I love the skeleton in the hamster wheel to winch the arm back - yeah the one bit of that model that I've seen a lot of folks complain about is my favorite part of the model.

I like the infantry and cavalry, but I worry that they'll just be too expensive for me to feasibly field them, especially since the infantry are on 25s or maybe 28s but according to people who saw them definitely not 32s. That implies that they'll actually be a horde unit after all, despite the fluff implying a more elite faction. I could easily see these turning releasing as a 5 man box for $40 with rules that make them only really worth running in multiple units of 30. If that's how they turn out... well, I don't know what I'll do. Maybe there will be a 'Legion of the Necropolis' variant list combining them with other death factions so I can combine the fancy new heroes & elite units with my existing undead battleline units.

It does look like Nagash, Arkhan, and the morghasts will show up as native parts of this army, which is cool. Fingers crossed for fancy new updated warscrolls that get retroactively applied to the existing Legions of Nagash entries. The morghasts especially have really been in need of an update for a while. Age of Sigmar has kind of moved on without them. At this point their stats & abilities fall sadly short of not only their points costs, but their concepts & models as well. We'll see, I guess.

Honestly, right now I'm just hoping that the negative reaction in some corners of the internet are overstated and that these models will actually sell pretty well once they're out, as I would really like GW to return to and expand on the ossiarchs in the future the way the stormcast line has seen multiple release waves. Maybe "Ossiarch Boneriders" for a faster variant incorporating bonemold chariots or an "Ossiarch Bonestorm" shooty variant with archer variants of the infantry and stalkers, plus some variant siege weapons to complement the catapult, like a massive ballista shooting the thigh bones of ancient extinct dragons, on a monstrous, for legged backwards centaur looking bone monster, with the upper torso in the back to draw back the bow?

I don't know, I'm just spit balling. Point is, I love these guys, I'd love to see more of them in the future, and I hope this pile eventually wins over enough players that GW thinks that's something worth pursuing.

Last edited:
Interesting review, well developed.
I'm not going to buy them, but i would certainly like to see an army of these guys.
I'm sure that the real visual impact will be good.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
I also grew up with Filmation's He-Man, the Masters of the Universe film, and later cartoons that you refer to, such as Skeleton Warriors, but I still adopt a negative stance towards these figures. In fact, my view of them is very similar to the one which I held about the original Tomb Kings models, many of which were afflicted by the same cartoonish and goofy characteristics that these new figures have. At least GW is being consistent in this respect :D.

My problem is that as much as I loved cartoons from the 1980s, especially He-Man, animation has moved on since, so when I watch old episodes now, it is a bit of a struggle, especially because my eyes are not used to the old animation any more. At the time, Filmation's animation was state of the art, but now it is very dated. This is the issue I have with these models. They are too reminiscent of the old Tomb Kings sculpts and of a kind of retro design in particular, yet they have been released in 2019. They seem to be stuck in a time warp compared to a lot of the other Age of Sigmar releases and I think that they just do not look right. They would be more suited to the more outrageous concepts for some races from the original 1987 Warhammer rulebook than they are Age of Sigmar in my opinion.