• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

El Syf

Vargheist
Dec 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Surely it endures and lives on like a vampire would? ;)
Overall I think those models look great, I did have to do a double take though as I thought the sanguinitor (can't remember if that's right!) was now in fantasy. The only problem I have is that neither army is the one I collect, so I may well give it a miss on those grounds alone.
The folks on warseer must be in uproar about it all, so much negativity on that forum.
The logo looks rather retro too.

Last edited:

Nicreap

Ghoul
Dec 2, 2014
Surely it endures and lives on like a vampire would? ;)
Overall I think those models look great, I did have to do a double take though as I thought the sanguinitor (can't remember if that's right!) was now in fantasy. The only problem I have is that neither army is the one I collect, so I may well give it a miss on those grounds alone.
The folks on warseer must be in uproar about it all, so much negativity on that forum.
The logo looks rather retro too.

LOL, you have no idea, Warseer has turned into a giant whine fest, about how warhammer is over and this clearly means fantasy and 40k are the same thing, and everything else under the sun. I think the models look neat, but what I care to see more is the rules, that will decide whether I play Age of sigmar/9th or whatever it is. Because GW has proven it can make beautifully detailed miniatures, but I would liek some form of mass battle to remain.

shred.

Zombie
Aug 29, 2014
I'm really torn. The new models looks pretty cool, but I'm not going to start with either of those armies. The problem I have is that it looks like the reboxed the dark vengeance set with light angels in place of dark angels.

At this point I'm anxious to see information on existing races (if any) or what the other races in the game are going to look like. My fear is that they're going to make the undead faction a race of super wights. While that would be awesome, I chose the VC army because they rely on superior numbers or crappy forces, and I got into WHFB because of massive blocks of infantry/forces. If nothing else, I've got everything I need to have a giant 8th edition VC army with tons of options, and I'll be keeping my eye on whatever else comes out for Age of Sigmar. I know I'd be a liar if I said I wouldn't be playing it at some point, even if these first armies aren't my thing.

Demian

Vampire Count
Oct 28, 2011
Great... now humans have "Morghasts" for themselves.

I like it xD!

At least the whole background for the new world is kinda (or... entirely) based on the other. Azyr, the lightning... this is nice, lore-wise. Opening gates to other realms? awesome.

And... none of us should worry about becoming displaced in AoS. Nagash is "alive" and "well" (not based on the rumours, but the actual text stating something like "Can what is dead truly ever die?" hinting at us)

And, I could say at least that Isabella might have survived. Or Abhorash. It was also hinted that some (or many) of our old characters could have survived the End Times.

My point is, vampires aren't going anywhere in AoS, along with other undead, I would assume.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
So, the pseudo Renaissance looking Empire faction is dead. That displeases me. I can only assume this means that Bretonnians are similarly kaput. I mean, I'm sure we can use all our existing forces as 'counts as' units from the new faction and explain away the visual difference as forces from 'another dimension' or some other rot.

Everything I see confirmed about this edition makes me like it less and less.

Reactions: Zephyr

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Well, there are differing degrees of 'dead'. Remember, Chaos Dwarves were 'dead' for a long time, but GW still gave them updated rules (albeit in fairly streamlined form) that kept them legal to play via ravening hordes, and the chaos dwarf community rallied together to update and expand those rules themselves, and third party companies capable of operating at smaller production scales than GW moved in to satisfy that demand with new 'chaos dwarf' models. Chaos dwarf armies using third party models and the de-facto "official" chaos dwarf homebrew army book were a not-that-uncommon sight at a number of tournaments. And eventually even GW came to recognize that popularity, with Forgeworld putting out chaos dwarf rules and models of their own.

So long as you don't play exclusively in a first party store, I wouldn't expect any faction or aesthetic that doesn't make it into the age of sigmar to be lacking in non-GW support sufficient to keep it playable in some form.

The issue is more of game style. Just going from the models, this looks like a fantasy themed 40k (seriously, the 40k set looks almost suspiciously similar to the chaos lineup in dark vengence, just with beefier cultists). Maybe the models can group up to form shield walls or whatever, but this is not a regiment scale battle game, and if that's what you want to play, then you're options will become progressively more limited as time goes on, unless Kings of War manages to establish itself as the Pathfinder to Age of Sigmar's 4e. Note this is not meant to be disparaging to either game, I enjoyed both Pathfinder and 4e for what the are/were.

My comments on the site weren't really calling into question whether Carpe Noctem would persist. I have no doubt of that. Rather, I'm merely wondering what form that persistence will take. Age of Sigmar very much looks like a new game, not a new edition of the game this site has been dedicated to for so long. So does Carpe Noctem stick exclusively to the old game? If it adopts the new game, will AoS subforums replace those for 8th edition, relegating 8e talk to the archive section? Or since they are two separate games, will new, separate forums be established for AoS discussion, with the 8e tactical and battle report threads left intact?

And if we're adopting entirely new games, why stop with just the one? Why not forum sections for the undead factions in Kings of War or Warmachine? I mean, ok, maybe not warmachine, as cryx players have more established communities elsewhere, but my impression was that the site admins here have a friendly relationship with the mantic folks, a set of forums for kings of war general and tactical discussions might be worth considering, if the site opts for the 'add rather than replace' route.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
True Blood
Dec 29, 2010
Sydney
Undoubtedly a few things are going to have to change around here when Age of Sigmar comes out, I am sure we will consult the forums as to what everyone would like to see Carpe Noctem become.
However we will wait to see how dramatic the change brings to Warhammer and ultimately, as the owner of the forum and it's financial backer (not to mention tech support) our lord and commander Disciple of Nagash will have the final say.
There has been some suggestions provided previously that Carpe Noctem should expand to include additional games, this may provide the impetus for such a change given that Warhammer Age of Sigmar does not appear to be fully replacing Warhammer Fantasy. More details about all this will obviously come in the future.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
lol :lol: GW has followed 40k dark vengeance for chaos with this set I see 1 chaos Lord, 1 hell brute (looks same though less techno), 5 Chosen and 20 cultists. Gotta say it has certainly piqued my interest. Love the models now I just hope the fluff is as good as the old stuff because if it is the same as that warmachine/ horde which I despise then I won't bother

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Considering that they followed up 40k's 6th edition starter set dark vengeance with the 7e starter set dark vengeance - exactly the same dark vengeance, literally just the same models, but with a 7e mini rulebook - I'm not exactly surprised to see the new Fantasy version of 40k (fantasy k?) box set looking remarkably similar, at least on the chaos side.

Again, though, that really neat looking monster mount on the imperial side has me forgiving a lot. Hopefully the wait to see what AoS's undead faction looks like won't be too long.

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mar 3, 2008
Rotterdam
Sigmarines...*sighs*. RIP WHF. Whatever happens rule or fluff-wise it is pretty clear the new aesthetic does not fit the old range for Empire.
I never got into WarmaHordes because I really hated the look and now GW is copying it. The clunky, rounded, oversized feet, scattered with anime/cartoon influences look.

I can understand people like it where I hate it but they should remember that there were already many models out there in this form. WHF was unique in its background and pseudo-historical aesthetics.
How the hell can ayone still believe in the IP-theory seeing this? I'm so sad the rich Old world has been replaced by...this Mantic clone.

Positives? Chaos looks pretty much the same and we can only hope and pray Undead still retain the look we know and love.
Maybe AoS is the 40K where WHF is 30K maybe...maybe...my mourning is stuck in the denial phase I guess.

Depending on the look of factions to come I might have actually played it but if this replaces a game I grew up with it leaves a sour taste in my mouth and I will certainly not play this monstrosity.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
I was hoping it wouldn't take this turn, but it seems the sigmarines are really here to stay. I remember that in older editions WFB was really goofy and far from the pseudo-historical aesthetic they had recently - it seems now they are going back to this direction, only in a more modern, World of Warcraft way.

Let the sigmarines be sigmarines, but now I think/fear that undead may as well follow suit and make the whole army look like morghasts, with out-of-place ribcages on their legs, plated armor and strangely shaped weapons, parting with the gothic aesthetic that made me actually collect VC. Oh well, let's still have hope that rules will be manageable.

I wonder if in some years the game will be dominated with sigmarines as marines now dominate WH40K.

Undying Scourge

Blood Knight
Oct 28, 2014
More Space Marines? In Fantasy you say? Nooooooo.

As if we need more space marines (I mean Sigmarites) it's not like GW stores are always crammed with SM players anyway. This is a stupid turn of events. I really don't like the round bases, it's just 40k but with a different name now. Also they just look really generic and far too similar to space marines, they might as well just call them space marines and be done with it.

I really wonder now though what they will do with the undead, but knowing GW they'll get shafted like they did in the End Times.

Banat

Varghulf
Jul 13, 2014
They do look far too like blood angels sanguine guard but i do like elements of them. Very entrusted for undead legion...

Undying Scourge

Blood Knight
Oct 28, 2014
"Yo dawg I heard you like space marines, so we put space marines in your Fantasy so you can collect Space Marines while you collect Space Marines while you collect Space Marines."

Infernal Skull

Wight King
Apr 21, 2012
Let the sigmarines be sigmarines, but now I think/fear that undead may as well follow suit and make the whole army look like morghasts, with out-of-place ribcages on their legs, plated armor and strangely shaped weapons, parting with the gothic aesthetic that made me actually collect VC. Oh well, let's still have hope that rules will be manageable.

I was just about to say the same thing! :D I think all the undead going forward will have the Nagash/ Morghast/ Dread Abyssal design aesthetic. Now that you look at it, (the Morghasts in particular) they do look like they'll fit with that "fallen angels come to earth" concept, and they're definitely uniquely distinct from any other undead models out there.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Some rumors from a monger on warseer:

Concerning models:
  • humans much larger in scale than standard WHFB humans
  • not just more bulky and differently proportioned, but I mean the models themselves stand taller, they're just a different scale as WHFB humans (each about the size of a Terminator)
  • about the model compatibility, and they just went like "yeah well if someone really wants to use their old armies they can, but we didn't intend the new models and old models to be compatible, we think larger models are the way forward, blah blah"

Concerning rules:
  • it's really for small battles and not as deep and strategic like LOTR was
  • very simplified, seems intended for short quick beer & pretzel games, lots of random and little strategy
  • no way you can use it for existing warhammer armies, so with the scale difference and incompatible rules I don't think there's any point in rebasing your existing collection
  • 'post it note' size of the rulebook is pretty much accurate
  • very much revolves around your commander, which has elaborate special rules
  • rest of the squads feels much as filler for the commanders to smash up and feel good about
  • no info yet about anything planned for really large-scale battles

Seems to fit with these models. Actually, looking at them, they do look pretty large. One could argue 'infused by the powers of the gods', but even the marauders look considerably larger than previous human models, especially if those turn out to be 32mm bases that they're standing on.

I had speculated that newhammer might be going to an overall larger scale based on the end times models, which were all kind of huge, new generic skaven characters excepted. I mean, look at arkhan / mannfred / neferata, they're all closer to blightking/wrathmonger size than they are to skeleton or zombie sized. It looks like that might just be the new scale.

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
Today's White Dwarf cover: WARHAMMER on the eve of a new age, we look back on three decades of fantasy battles.

Sounds pretty grim, like a memorial service after the final good bye (End Times). It could be a recap of Fantasy to highlight the differences of what was and what's to come, but I doubt it. I guess I'll have to buy this one for more info.

Infernal Skull

Wight King
Apr 21, 2012
Regarding the size of the models: The Chaos model looks like he's on a 25mm round. Comparing the width of the base to the height of the model puts him at about 28mm, or average human height. The Sigmarite is therefore on a 32mm, maybe a 40mm, which makes them about 32mm tall, maybe 40mm? They're practically monstrous infantry (which is probably why they appear to be outnumbered 2-1 in the starter set).

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
Apr 7, 2011
They look lame to me. All of the new stuff in those photos. Heck they even painted the edges silver. Just another 40K faction now.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
I mean, they're very nice models. But not my cup of tea at all. Not what I want Warhammer to be.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu