• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
The terrain looks outstanding. The models are less impressive. The Ogres look alright, but the Bonereapers continue not to inspire me in any way. I'm happy to stick with my old vampire counts and undead models.

Reactions: Ol'timer

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
064CD9CB-83F3-41FA-BA64-A183C30E0751.jpeg Something interesting I found to make their weird head looks better
I actually like them apart from a few small things like some of the heads on certain stuff
Really like the larger construct stuff like the Stalkers etc plus getting to be able to use Arkhan and Morghasts as well seems quite interesting
Already preordered the set with with someone else who is taking the ogres. Still kinda wish it was a new army that was solely deathrattle though

I also found this and can’t stop laughing
19EB6C20-F2C7-4917-9713-3500C9CD4512.jpeg

Oh yeah Morghast, Nagash and Arkhan Jane all been updated to include bonereaper stuff on some of their rules though all are meant to be getting a points increase as well

Last edited:

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Yup. Nagash, Arkhan, & Morghasts all get more expensive. They also all see some changes to their warscrolls.

Morghasts are simple, they gain the OBR and Mortek keywords, letting them function in the army, take advantage of faction & subfaction rules. Very minor changes, but notably in an OBR army they provide their own death saves, so they don't need to worry about staying in range of your heroes.

Arkhan sees a number of expected 2.0 cleanups. mortal touch on the spirit attacks on unmodified sizes instead of 6+, 1's always fail to mortal on curse of years (though mortal negation abilities no longer prevents follow up rolls), bonus to unbind also applies to dispel, etc etc. No keyword changes, but if you take him in an OBR army he gains the OBR keyword. In theory this means he also gains subfaction rules, but I'm not sure that'll survive FAQ. There are some more substantive changes to his casting & healing, though. The biggest being that he gets a third cast & unbind per turn, which is a big upgrade. On the negative, he no longer knows the spells of other nearby death wizards. Instead he can cast mystic shield & arcane bolt any number of times up to his casting limit even if it's already been attempted. In an OBR army he also knows all of their faction spells, which are pretty good. In terms of healing, his heals are a flat 3 wounds instead of d3 with a reroll, and can affect either summonable units or OBR units, which in an OBR army includes himself.

Nagash sees similar changes, including flat 3 heals for summonable or OBR including himself, gains OBR keyword in OBR armies so can heal himself, benefit from subfaction rules (again, not sure that will survive faq). As with Arkhan he no longer cribs other casters' spells, can multicast shield & bolt, knows the full OBR faction spell list in OBR armies.

Not sure how or if these change will be made retroactive to LoN, but in an OBR army they both seem pretty impressive, provided the subfaction thing sticks. Nagash with a 2+ re-rollable save isn't likely to go over well with casual players.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Yup. Nagash, Arkhan, & Morghasts all get more expensive. They also all see some changes to their warscrolls.

Morghasts are simple, they gain the OBR and Mortek keywords, letting them function in the army, take advantage of faction & subfaction rules. Very minor changes, but notably in an OBR army they provide their own death saves, so they don't need to worry about staying in range of your heroes.

Arkhan sees a number of expected 2.0 cleanups. mortal touch on the spirit attacks on unmodified sizes instead of 6+, 1's always fail to mortal on curse of years (though mortal negation abilities no longer prevents follow up rolls), bonus to unbind also applies to dispel, etc etc. No keyword changes, but if you take him in an OBR army he gains the OBR keyword. In theory this means he also gains subfaction rules, but I'm not sure that'll survive FAQ. There are some more substantive changes to his casting & healing, though. The biggest being that he gets a third cast & unbind per turn, which is a big upgrade. On the negative, he no longer knows the spells of other nearby death wizards. Instead he can cast mystic shield & arcane bolt any number of times up to his casting limit even if it's already been attempted. In an OBR army he also knows all of their faction spells, which are pretty good. In terms of healing, his heals are a flat 3 wounds instead of d3 with a reroll, and can affect either summonable units or OBR units, which in an OBR army includes himself.

Nagash sees similar changes, including flat 3 heals for summonable or OBR including himself, gains OBR keyword in OBR armies so can heal himself, benefit from subfaction rules (again, not sure that will survive faq). As with Arkhan he no longer cribs other casters' spells, can multicast shield & bolt, knows the full OBR faction spell list in OBR armies.

Not sure how or if these change will be made retroactive to LoN, but in an OBR army they both seem pretty impressive, provided the subfaction thing sticks. Nagash with a 2+ re-rollable save isn't likely to go over well with casual players.

Where do i find these news? :|

nevermind. Found it.

Aranei

Ghoul
Oct 22, 2014
St. Petersburg
In fact, Nagash and Arkhan now are much better in an OBR army than in a LoN army. I'm going to build and OBR army around those two and Morghasts (who can now easily heal).
The Harvester seems to have good rules, I'm going to buy one at some point.
The catapult is my only disappointment. I was waiting for a Screaming Skull Catapult successor, but the new one is really good only against light infantry for some reason.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
7C6CD0EF-B9C2-4989-BBD2-A344C29B2EC2.jpeg
The few bits of new lore I have read so far for the bone reapers is interesting can’t wait to get my hands on the Battletome to read all about them even more

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
This is fair, but in Nagash's defense, at least it wasn't just another black pyramid.

Also, as new hires go, Katakros is one heck of a new recruit. Not since Arkhan have I seen a mortarch so committed to getting work done in the lore, and I've never seen one so committed to getting things done on the table.

Re nagash & morghast army: note that Morghasts are never battleline in OBR, even with Nagash, so you'll probably need to skip them in favor of the more efficient & battleline mortek guard, at least at 2k points. But even so, you can definitely make a nagash army work. Capturing objectives will be difficult, but the big guy will be harder to down than ever before, and as killy as ever.

Nagash, 2 bone shapers, and 3x20 mortek guard still leaves 80 points for endless spells. Something to consider.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
...in the meantime, the new Errata increases furtherly the cost to field Arkhan and Nagash, but reduced Mannfred and Neferata.

Nighthaunt are mostly decreased: Lady olinder is 200 instead of 220, the Black Coach 220 instead of 260

Reactions: Aranei

Ol'timer

Ghoul
Oct 2, 2014
View attachment 58901Something interesting I found to make their weird head looks better
I actually like them apart from a few small things like some of the heads on certain stuff
Really like the larger construct stuff like the Stalkers etc plus getting to be able to use Arkhan and Morghasts as well seems quite interesting
Already preordered the set with with someone else who is taking the ogres. Still kinda wish it was a new army that was solely deathrattle though
That's not bad really with just a head swap. One of the things I'm not a fan of with the new crew is the whole necron look. Normal skulls break that up. Cool find!

Grave Tacticus

Staff member
Jul 26, 2020
Utah
People keep talking about how a vampire book is just around the corner. I hope that's the case.

Anyone know how robust the new create your own character thing out of GH2020 is?

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Anyone know how robust the new create your own character thing out of GH2020 is?

TBH, i've not yet take a look at it, however… up til now, i saw 6 heroes made by other players, using the new system.
ALL OF THEM were made with save 3+, immune to rend.

which tells me 3 things:
1) Players are unimaginative
2) is really "inv. 3+" the strongest option? no way to exploIt these heroes giving them some ability to buff in an unusual way friendly units?
3) in a game that is evolving toward mortal wounds spam, a hero with inv. 3+ is just asking to be killed.

Reactions: Grave Tacticus

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
The system is pretty basic, and doesn't really include anything in the way of faction-specific options. It is abusable in the extreme edges - it's possible for some factions to spam 40 or 50 point wizards using the system, for instance, while on the opposite end fighty heroes on large flying monsters with 3+ ethereal armor saves are the most powerful individual models the system can produce if you're willing to maximize the destiny points / regular points investment. Stuff in the middle, however, is largely reasonably balanced, maybe even a bit under powered for the points investment. I threw together tentative rules for a "Liege Mortek" - the OBR infantry commander designation mentioned in some of the fluff but without actual model or rules. Unfortunately, there's no way in the rules as printed to give him the Liege keyword, since, again, no faction specific stuff, but it still seems like a fun character that I'd like to run and doesn't seem unreasonable for the points, and since these are optional narrative rules to begin with, I can always agree on a reasonable points cost for the rule with my opponent.

If you're starting with a character idea and just making rules to match, as opposed to min maxing the rules and then coming up with a character to go with the result after the fact, then the system's surprisingly reasonable actually.

It's also restricted to narrative games. There's a quick & dirty conversion to put points on your creation for pitched battles, but the character builder rules are very clear that these custom characters aren't pitched battle legal by default, and can only be played with your opponent's advance consent, so it's not like there's much benefit to min maxing them anyway. You won't be able to run them in tournaments, and if your opponent thinks you're being a cheese ball they can hashtag just say no.

All in all, I actually like these rules quite a bit, and I hope they go over well enough that we might see future expansions with faction specific rules for them. It's probably my favorite thing in the GHB2020, and /almost/ makes up for them butchering the realm of battle rules.

Last edited:

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
In the meantime, the Rumour Engine is throwing us pics of undead minis incoming, mostly vampire-related.
If they will be simply new models, or a whole new faction (the fabled pirate vampires?), i don't know.
This is the last rumour:

QBB5oixTGBAZRwWx.jpg

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
looks daemonic to me, not undead.

There's been a number of vaguely undeadish rumor engines lately apart from this though. Unfortunately, no concrete announcements for undead releases appeared at the recent online preview event, so at this point I don't actually expect anything new this year.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Look at it this way, it means that you're likely to get more games in :). I think that it must be great to have a partner who is in to this game, as having shared hobbies is fun :). Either way, the new miniatures being produced for Age of Sigmar are very impressive.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Look at it this way, it means that you're likely to get more games in :). I think that it must be great to have a partner who is in to this game, as having shared hobbies is fun :). Either way, the new miniatures being produced for Age of Sigmar are very impressive.

Truly they are. The new Sigvald model is top quality.
Even if i could say that, now that AoS if finally developing its own lore, i fail to see the reason (money apart) to bring back a old, dead secondary characters as Sigvald...

Sharkbelly

Crypt Horror
Sep 25, 2007
Montana
Undead (and enemies) getting some love in 2021

Some images from the new 2021 preview seem to show a witch hunter and some sort of undead critter.

PX9VR9p.png

M8sJrhy.png

Courtesy of Shinros on The grand Alliance forum.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu