• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
All the rumours for Age of Sigmar crushed my enthusiasm for WHFB. The actual rules and warscrolls and other nonsense took my crushed enthusiasm and buried it in a deep dark hole. Age of Sigmar is not Warhammer. And it's not a game I have any interest in playing at all.

But Kings of War looks pretty cool, and they've got a new edition being released next week. I really like what I've read of the rules (the current edition is available here) and the beta test versions of the new lists are available here. I've been assured the lists in the actual rules will be nearly identical to these lists.

There's a few things that are a little screwy to me as a long time WHFB player. Like not having the same granularity I'm used to in terms of building my army, or the way movement is both static (based on a movement value) AND pre-measured, or the way characters can't join units. Some units in WHFB don't have an analogue in Kings of War (Vargheists and Dire Wolves spring to mind) but the community appears to be very forgiving of proxies and counts-as so I think there should be a way to find a work around. I'm really excited to get my hands on the second edition book and start getting some games in. I'm actually excited to be assembling and painting my Undead models for the first time in a long time!

LordTobiothan

Crypt Horror
May 6, 2014
You kidding? Im making warband xml files for kings of war as we speak, i going in head first and liking what im seeing so far.

The customization is broader then we are used to in warhammer but its not actually lacking in it.

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jan 16, 2012
Really, when it comes down to it all it takes is agreements between friends and wanting to have a good time.

Maybe GW making this move will inspire a disgruntled enough fan to make a semi-similar game with a rule set they find palatable. I mean, when people were pissed at 4th Ed D&D, Pathfinder filled that niche.

That would be a decent result, possibly even just a legacy project by fans in an open source form that keeps the older rules alive for anyone interested.

I'm going to try AoS if I can tomorrow (going up to the FLGS, but I don't know if anyone will show up as well). I'll at least try to play it a little, see what it's about before I fully shed that hope. And if it's that bad, I still love my Vampire army, just for the hobby, so I'm not going to die. But I don't care about the game enough to try and find a replacement so quickly. Or rather, 40k already has my interest for the moment.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
May 15, 2008
My group is very interested in KoW. I know it will be a while but is there any rough estimation of when the 2nd edition will be released?

Undying Scourge

Blood Knight
Oct 28, 2014
I like the look of KoW tbh, I really like the Basilean models, they have a really strong Warcraft Footman vibe to them, especially with the blue and silver colours they're painted with on the webstore. Some of their models are a bit lacklustre though I must say. But the rules are nice and simple and great if you want an alternative (proper) wargame system other than the various editions of Fantasy.

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
Sep 10, 2014
Yeah, ordered my rule book yesterday with a cannon for my kingdom of men army that I'm building from my £25 eBay bretonians. Got pegasus, knights, damsels, archers and a unit of man at arms. Bargain. Going to put them all on bases so no individual figures, much easier to move.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
I think I'll keep my figures on their 20mm bases, if for no other reason than I can't be bothered re-basing them, but also because I think I might still like to play 8th edition from time to time.

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
Sep 10, 2014
Yeah, I have 2 armies on their bases to play 8th, this is a spare army I got cheap and I don't have the right numbers, with KoW it doesn't matter as long as the base size is the right size, going to have 6-7 knights instead of 10 13 archers instead of 20 and 14 men at arms instead of 20. some odd numbers of figures when I bought it.

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
May 10, 2011
I've played v1 since it started. v2 seems to have tidied up the niggles, such as artillery fire, which was so ineffective. points to note - at the last KoW tournament I was at, they didn't care which models you used, theirs or a competitor. Secondly, most models are sold in unit size packs, and are cheap(er) than many - although it is fair to say they aren't quite the top models available, they are damn close. third, and very important in large games, you don't remove single casualties - you mark the unit, then eventually remove the whole tray; this makes set up and pack down about a tenth of the effort! I've really enjoyed it, I guess lots of you will too.

Razorfate

Skeleton
Feb 16, 2015
Istanbul
After the disappointment there are two alternatives: 8th ed. or KOW.
As i want GW suffer, i will probably play KOW. I read 2nd ed rules and although definite charge distances and lack of charge reactions i find it very playable. I will watch batreps and see more.

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
Sep 10, 2014
I've played v1 since it started. v2 seems to have tidied up the niggles, such as artillery fire, which was so ineffective. points to note - at the last KoW tournament I was at, they didn't care which models you used, theirs or a competitor. Secondly, most models are sold in unit size packs, and are cheap(er) than many - although it is fair to say they aren't quite the top models available, they are damn close. third, and very important in large games, you don't remove single casualties - you mark the unit, then eventually remove the whole tray; this makes set up and pack down about a tenth of the effort! I've really enjoyed it, I guess lots of you will too.

Really liking the idea of having my units in dioramas or at least stuck in base size, pick them up, plonk them down, put them in my box and go home.

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
Give Age of Sigmar a couple play throughs before discounting it guys. Its got a lot going on. Just played it today and I was really impressed.

LordTobiothan

Crypt Horror
May 6, 2014
Give Age of Sigmar a couple play throughs before discounting it guys. Its got a lot going on. Just played it today and I was really impressed.

Your experience may differ since your enough of a veteran to naturally fill rule holes with your gaming buddies.

It took 2 min of talking about some of the movement before 3 people had entirely different concepts about how it was supposed to work. All of which were perfectly valid within the rules (or lack thereof),

Ive no intention of doing GWs job for them consider the rules, i can make aos myself in 30 min.

Id rather a standard fleshed out system i can just play where the limits and holes were filled so everyone knows them. Hence my move to kings of war.

Id imagine everyone in this thread isn't a bandwagoner following the trend of ditching GW, and more in the same boat i am.

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
I play games by the rules. Only time I do RAI is when it's not worth arguing about rules and the RAW support the RAI. I never house rule.

What were the issues you ran into with movement? We found when we had an issue and thought we broke the game, careful study proved the games was right and we all had ah-ha moments. The game honestly has a ton of cool tactics I wish were in 8th. I'm being straight up with you.

Go try the game out. Seriously. Be open to it.

Draykorinee

Grave Guard
Sep 10, 2014

I will be trying a new game, but it will be KoW, I'm not sure outside of brand loyalty why I would go with AoS over KoW, both have free rules, both have a cheap entry cost for pre existing warhammer players, both are supported by my games store, but only one actually looks interesting to me. Sure I could just do both and probably will end up giving AoS a go...possibly, but to me KoW has the most going for it, everything I have seen from the multiple battle reports makes me want to cry.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
Yeah, AoS just isnt a game I'm interested in. Lame background, lame pantomime rules, and doesn't fit the scale I want.

Wolf Child

Ghoul
Feb 6, 2012
After the disappointment there are two alternatives: 8th ed. or KOW.
As i want GW suffer, i will probably play KOW. I read 2nd ed rules and although definite charge distances and lack of charge reactions i find it very playable. I will watch batreps and see more.
Yeah,I want GW to suffer also... so I'm glad to hear a lot of people in my group talking about KOW. Also my campaign to get more of my mates playing Malifaux is gaining ground rapidly haha.

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
May 10, 2011
I see place for both types of game. AoS has its place , so does KoW or similar. I never liked Inquisitor, though many of my friends did. Doesn't make it a bad game, just not my type. AoS looks like it will go the same way. Hell, what do I care? I still haven't finished a campaign running with 6th ed rules! The only fly in my ointment is the hard headed " can't play, won't play " attitude we're getting.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
I have no interest in AoS in the same way I have no interest in Rockem Sockem Robots or Hungry Hungry Hippos. I'm sure some people will love it but it's not a game that even pops up on my radar as being something I might want to play.

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jan 16, 2012
If you're wearing your underpants outside your trousers all units get a +2 ward save.

That's so British sounding.. Do you work for GW?

Yeah, honestly I would be far more in support of these rules if they hadn't included the "unhinged" (To reference M:tG) style rules, but if you just pretend they aren't there.. it's a bit more palatable.

I know to each their own, and to some this isn't going to be ok. But GW, I'm sure, measured their losses before they took this step. I hope it doesn't put you off too hard, but good golly are they printing gorgeous models. And I'll be damned if I let their ass-hatter-y stop me from liking to model/paint.

Although as a note, if they continue the "Joke Rules" too far.. I may have to drop it. But they are at least flavor-oriented. It's just a slap in the face right now. But hey, nothing says you can't keep a relationship going once you get slapped in the face.

Reactions: Draykorinee

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu