Can 9th just come out already?

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
True. I really don't want to see the game broken into a skirmish entry level game, and a regular regimental game, I'd just like to see the regimental version of the game work well at smaller points levels. I'd like to see smaller units encouraged so I don't have to buy four or five boxes of skeletons just for one unit. It will be interesting to see just how the rules have changed into the next edition.
 
I think that people who DO NOT play/collect warhammer think it is expensive. My friends who don't play think that I am crazy for buying a few "toy soldiers" for $70. They think it even more insane that I have to put them together and paint them myself.

But then I can't understand how they can go buy a pair of shoes for $160 or sunglasses for $100 (!!!). Or they buy brand new cars making payments per month that are equivalent to the cost of a small size warhammer army every month. But hey, that is their "toy" so who am I to judge.

Another point is that I know people in my native Eastern Europe who also play warhammer. For them, GW mini's are INSANELY expensive since the prices are the same everywhere but incomes are not. So people who make $600 or $700 a month still buy GW minis!!!

Think about if you had to pay $270 for an army book... or $200 for a unit of 5 black knights... now that is expensive.

Granted they do a lot of "use as" when they play but they still splurge now and again on new models.
 
True. I really don't want to see the game broken into a skirmish entry level game, and a regular regimental game, I'd just like to see the regimental version of the game work well at smaller points levels. I'd like to see smaller units encouraged so I don't have to buy four or five boxes of skeletons just for one unit. It will be interesting to see just how the rules have changed into the next edition.

One thing I noticed is that the game does not scale well. In a 500 point game you get... 2D6 power dice... in a 5000 point game you get... 2D6 power dice. Seems like magic will be much stronger in the former then in the latter....

Also, good point about unit sizes. We have an older player (60+) in our gaming group who is more of a collector than gamer. He has a fully painted army of O&G and sometimes plays... but I cringe every time I see his army... a unit of 15 black Orcs... 5 wild boar riders, 20 goblins, 18 Savage orcs... He has a lot of units, but he doesn't have many models per unit. So when his 15 Black Orcs go up against a unit of 24 Sword Masters... guess who wins?
 
I was totally against Warhammer when I first heard about it. I was really into board games, specifically Settlers of Catan (This was about 2008). I had all of the expansions and extensions for extra players. Then one of my close friends randomly dropped $300 to start playing Wood Elves and he convinced some other friends to play too. Before I knew it, nobody wanted to play Settlers and were playing Warhammer instead. I suddenly had 3-4 close friends all playing. So I went to the game store with them to see what the fuss was all about and saw they had a new expansion for Settlers... Anyways, I still couldn't get over spending $300 to play a game. Then it hit me that I had ALREADY spent that on Settlers. Not all at once, but over time. The original game was $40 and so was each expansion and the 5-6 player extensions were $20 each. With everything I had, I had cumulatively spent about $280 on Settlers of Catan. So I suddenly became ok with the "cost" as I could also "play" this game even when I had nobody else to play with (modeling and painting). So I started perusing some of the rulebooks and model selections and I liked a few models, but not enough in any particualr army to dive in. Then I came across the Varghulf... What a sweet model!! And it was right next to Konrad! Another sweet model. Behind them was the Black Coach, which I also saw as sweet. Zechariah the Ever-living was available, but I didn't like the model so much. So I looked through the book and saw some awesome artwork and really sweet models. I didn't want to play a commonly played army (A. So I didn't have to compete for models and B. I wanted to be different) and I hate elves and Empire seemed so boring. So vampires it was (and the battalion box didn't hurt my decision). Bringing models back from the dead, making new ones, never having to run away or take a fear test, all of these things were sweet. I never really cared about the cost until I realized how many models I needed to fill out my core choices. That was rough, but over time, it wasn't really noticeable. I'd buy a box once every couple months. I think the 50% lords and heroes really helps, and the combining of armies does too, not to mention opening up your options. I hope 9th is great. And if anyone is in the four corners, maybe we can play some settlers...
 
  • Like
Reactions: najo
@Emicrania Again, I like to clear something up. As players we don't care so much which segment players are in. So there is no judgment, if your feeling judged by the market segment post I made that wasn't the intent nor what I have said. At no point was I criticizing segment 2 or 3.

The harsh facts is without our revenue, GW starves and dies. Warhammer dies. Segment 1 is the only segment that keeps Warhammer supported. We are all various percentages of the segments. I'm mostly segment one and then partly segment two. @LordTobiothan is mostly segment two and partly segment one from the sound of it due to his status as a college student right now. That is just the reality of his circumstance. Completely understandable. You got to be frugal and creativity when going through college.

Still, if we all become segment two or three, GW and Warhammer dies. That means no new miniatures, rules, etc. I personally don't want that to happen. So since I can, I try to be segment one as much as possible. Part of the value of what I'm buying is securing the longevity of a creativity product that I love. If I don't, then GW does away. That is just the reality of how commerce works.

With all of that in mind, you can work with FLGS and online providers to get new GW at discounts these days. You do not have to pay full retail. There are many online sources at 20% off retail and I'm sure you can walk into a retailer you have near your home and ask if they will match prices or provide a flat discount for volume purchasing. Retailers would like to make a living too, and they are important as they provide a place for new gamers to get created or veterans to come together and play. Ask a store owner if they have a discount program or would provide a discount to you. It's not going to hurt.

See, its like replanting trees when harvesting lumber. There is a whole ecosystem of supply, demand, creation, new ideas and continuity. If this wasn't a creative product and hobby with a social aspect with the whole gamer's clubhouse plus supply of new ideas being supported then the whole segment thing wouldn't matter so much.

So let's take your two examples. I would find a FLGS or online supplier for a discount. And if you really like Mantic's skeletons over GW's then use Mantic's. I personally think the GW VC skeletons a WAY better. Bets skeletons ever. The zombies though, I totally get. I've told GW they need new Zeds. I personally find the GW zombies charming as I've played with them forever and they are gross and funny all at once. I would like something more current and scary though. That said, you mix a box of zombies and empire soldiers together and they are pretty amazing. Very warhammer looking zombies at that point. But either way, getting those undead at 20% off makes the cost more reasonable and your would still be supporting GW (and possibly a FLGS).

Or the Daemons. I don't like the finecast/old greater daemons either. They are very dated. I would either custom build a greater daemon or go for the forge world ones. I personally wouldn't want to throw the cash down on a forge world model unless I was going to get a lot of use out of that model. Also, GUO has a great option with the Glottkin model. If I was playing Nurgle Daemons I would buy Glottkin, magnetize the brothers sit on his back and then use him as a GUO or Glottkin as needed. That model is fantastic! If there is ultimately another model you like better though, use it.

For me its not entirely about cutting cost. Saving money is important, but my purchasing new supports the hobby I love. I make sure I get a discount, I plan my purchases, I genuinely love GW's miniatures most of the time and I rather have new out of the box miniatures than second hand miniatures I have to clean up. I prefer to assemble and paint as I want, and new miniatures are ideal for that. But whatever you have to do for yourself is what you need to do. I am not being judgmental. Just pointing out a reality about how the economics in this situation works. Our feelings don't change the facts that if GW doesn't get our money, new Warhammer models and fluff goes away. Its already happening on some level.

Thank you for the glottkin tips,I LOVE the model but the rules for him sucks so bad..
However when I said judge, I meant more like blaming. I mean,even if I'd love gw like once, and there is a possibility of more beautiful and cheaper option,why should I take it? Me and my group did it once with confrontation . The game looks better and some good competition is just healthy for the market. I don't believe in monopole.
Plus I mean,is a miniature hobby, I should be able to convert and craft and mix. I really see the change of spirit from gw of old days and now. The "GW water Holder" for me is a mortal sin of greedines .
Is like they wanna be a collection item company but stuff some rules and fluff for come out with new models every 3-4 years
 
Thank you for the glottkin tips,I LOVE the model but the rules for him sucks so bad..
However when I said judge, I meant more like blaming. I mean,even if I'd love gw like once, and there is a possibility of more beautiful and cheaper option,why should I take it? Me and my group did it once with confrontation . The game looks better and some good competition is just healthy for the market. I don't believe in monopole.
Plus I mean,is a miniature hobby, I should be able to convert and craft and mix. I really see the change of spirit from gw of old days and now. The "GW water Holder" for me is a mortal sin of greedines .
Is like they wanna be a collection item company but stuff some rules and fluff for come out with new models every 3-4 years
I've played GW over 25 years now. My absolute favorite period that had the best studio spirit was the late eighties to early 90's when Rick, Bryan, Jervis, Richard, the Perry twins, Jes, John, and the rest of the crew were sharing every idea they had and new rules were popping up all the time in the White Dwarf. The rule books and magazine were full of projects, campaigns, army lists, modelling tutorials and all manner of fun stuff. Things were very raw though, but I saw 40k start as the seeds of Rogue Trader and watched it bloom and get built on in the White Dwarf.

The most souless, corporate sell out period of GW to me was when they attempted to go mainstream with their games and made a bunch of deals with Hasbro. This was around 4th edition WFB and 2nd Ed 40k. Everything got very colorful, safe and cartoony during that time.

We are so far from that now. Honestly, what I see with 40k is a game that got slimmed down in 3rd edition, hammered out into finding the compromise between the fan who wants the whole 40k universe represented in the game and the fan who wants a playable fire fight game. The current incarnation of 40k, with 7th edition and the codecies released form Orks onward is amazing. The best fluff, models (with the odd mistake like Logan Grimmnar's sled), and each release making the game more and more balanced. The Necron army book is amazing. The Harlequin release blows away anything they've ever done with them. The upcoming Ad Mech - Skitarii look incredible. Khorne Daemonkin is looking awesome. Honestly, 40k fans are getting the best version of the game right now. Once Eldar, Tau, Chaos Space Marines and Space Marines get new codex, the game rules will all be built for 7th and the last remaining imbalances ironed out. 40k will be de-Mat Ward-ed at that point too.

So, I expect a similar approach to fantasy. If we get handled like 40k has been this last year an a half, and they keep our game with tactical movement and facing like it currently has. And nothing to over powered slips through the cracks. The next edition of fantasy might blow our minds.

But when you say that GW is empty, soulless and lacks any creativity they used to have. That they are just a corporate profit machine. I don't see it. Sure they are a corporation with shareholders (which you could be one of those shareholders, my grandmother could be one of those share holders). If any of us invested money in GW through buying shares, you would want a return on your investment. That is how companies work.

In fact, I have news for you. That is how all of these miniature companies work. If they don't answer to public shareholders. Then it is private, and their are shareholders hidden from view. GW at least is exposed to us. Operating in the open. Privateer and Mantic aren't. But both those companies are out for profits, just like GW. So, GW being a huge multi-national company that makes Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, its a big beast that eats alot of beast food (i.e. money). That's what happens when you've been around as long and get as big as them. In fact, honestly, for a company that is over 30 years old. They still are a bunch of dudes who love making games with little toy soldiers that populate these Warhammer worlds we love. George Lucas couldn't pull that off with Star Wars, so he sold it. Name a property that has remained pure and perfect over its life time. That's hard too do, yet GW has done a pretty good job doing that with Warhammer and a damned good job with 40k.

See, GW doesn't deserve the hate they get. We've established they are priced similar to competitors. We've established that all of these mini companies are out to make a buck. We've established that keeping the spirit of your property alive is very difficult to do. Want to see sell out? Look at Ninja Turtles. That is selling out. GW also doesn't know how to engage their fan base other than give them cool products. Everytime GW tries to connect, they just get people screaming in their face over pricing or how terrible their games are. Yet they are the largest company with the most customers and every other company is jealous of them. If they truly were that aweful, they wouldn't be the leaders any more.

Honestly, I see a lot of excuses from opinionated fans who think they could run a game studio better. Our industry is full of them. We are all kids at heart, but some of us are man-children who criticize every little thing GW does and think it would be easy to fix this or that. So much judgement and mudflinging. And GW gets the majority of it because they are the top dog.

They don't deserve it. Are they perfect? No. Have the sold out and ruined warhammer? No. They've actually continued to build on and flesh out an amazing mythology that really has no rival. They've never cartooned it all the way down, and they even realized they were starting to and stopped doing it. They came back to the grimdark everyone loves. But at the end of the day, the are a company of thousands spanning multiple continents and provide all of us countless hours of enjoyment with our man-toys. We get a rich, interactive community built around these awesome themes and ideas. We get to use gorgeous miniatures and all of us have been inspired by their photographs, game days, new products and limitless modelling, terrain and army projects. Really think about how much variety and creativity GW has encouraged over the years. The Golden Daemon alone every year is amazing.

Its all of that. All of those infinite, good things this hobby has given to me. All started by GW. Continued by GW. They deserve our respect, if anything. Honestly its amazing now that I am thinking about it. This business is damn hard and they are still rolling!

And, for anything to live long and beyond its creators, it has to be incorporated. There is no choice. Because at some point, those creators will want to retire or just take a break, and someone needs to keep the oil burning.
 
Thank you for the glottkin tips,I LOVE the model but the rules for him sucks so bad..
However when I said judge, I meant more like blaming. I mean,even if I'd love gw like once, and there is a possibility of more beautiful and cheaper option,why should I take it? Me and my group did it once with confrontation . The game looks better and some good competition is just healthy for the market. I don't believe in monopole.
Plus I mean,is a miniature hobby, I should be able to convert and craft and mix. I really see the change of spirit from gw of old days and now. The "GW water Holder" for me is a mortal sin of greedines .
Is like they wanna be a collection item company but stuff some rules and fluff for come out with new models every 3-4 years
Oh and your are very welcome on ol' Glottkin. In fact, make little square bases too that the brother attach by magnet to and can act as Nurgle Champions on foot too. So you attach them to create Glottkin, and then take them off and have a Great Unclean One (or Daemon Prince), a chaos sorcerer and a chaos champion.
 
  • Like
Reactions: The Sun King
40k chaos rant, ignore.
Harlequins are great models, but are kind of terrible in game? And khorne daemonkin? Are you kidding me? There is no level on which that book is not a huge disappointment. Bad formations & overpriced wargear for a melee army in a shooting game with crippling delivery issues (you may be able to build a functional list out of dogs, juggerlords, maulers, and sacrificial cultists, but that brings nothing new to the table compared to the existing spawn, bikelord, mauler, cultist rush lists currently coming out of c:csm) make it a dud on the competitive side, while no kharn, no karanak, no scarbrand, no berzerker hqs or terminators or chosen (no chosen at all), make it an even greater disappointment from the perspective of fun/casual/fluff players.

And by reprinting all the current, bad csm and khorne daemon units unchanged, it all but guarantees that we won't be seeing any sort of real update to these factions particularly the csm side, for years, which makes KDK not only bad, but literally worse than nothing at all.

I don't care if you're a competitive player, a fluff player, or a casual player, I simply cannot see how you think 40k is moving in any sort of positive direction, najo, and every time you speak about it you fill me with confusion. Are we communicating across dimensions? I want to move to your world, where recent gw rules design has been anything other than nigh unplayable zero effort junk written by people who don't even seem to play their games, when it isn't exercises in outright spite directed at those that do.


I mean, ooh, you can summon a bloodthirster! For free! Ooh! Except doing so eats one of your characters. And then it is deployed by deep strike, which puts it in swooping mode, which means it not only can't assault that turn, it can't assault in the next turn either, and heaven help you if it mishaps. Yeah, the blood table has other bonuses, but when it's biggest, capstone effect is nigh unusable, and when the book delivers practically nothing else, what does tgat even say about the design process here? Like khaine magic, KDK just reeks of no effort, and as a csm player, I'm just about fed up.

Sorry, the daemonkin just sorta touch a nerve with me...
 
Last edited:
40k chaos rant, ignore.
Harlequins are great models, but are kind of terrible in game? And khorne daemonkin? Are you kidding me? There is no level on which that book is not a huge disappointment. Bad formations & overpriced wargear for a melee army in a shooting game with crippling delivery issues (you may be able to build a functional list out of dogs, juggerlords, maulers, and sacrificial cultists, but that brings nothing new to the table compared to the existing spawn, bikelord, mauler, cultist rush lists currently coming out of c:csm) make it a dud on the competitive side, while no kharn, no karanak, no scarbrand, no berzerker hqs or terminators or chosen (no chosen at all), make it an even greater disappointment from the perspective of fun/casual/fluff players.

And by reprinting all the current, bad csm and khorne daemon units unchanged, it all but guarantees that we won't be seeing any sort of real update to these factions particularly the csm side, for years, which makes KDK not only bad, but literally worse than nothing at all.

I don't care if you're a competitive player, a fluff player, or a casual player, I simply cannot see how you think 40k is moving in any sort of positive direction, najo, and every time you speak about it you fill me with confusion. Are we communicating across dimensions? I want to move to your world, where recent gw rules design has been anything other than nigh unplayable zero effort junk written by people who don't even seem to play their games, when it isn't exercises in outright spite directed at those that do.


I mean, ooh, you can summon a bloodthirster! For free! Ooh! Except doing so eats one of your characters. And then it is deployed by deep strike, which puts it in swooping mode, which means it not only can't assault that turn, it can't assault in the next turn either, and heaven help you if it mishaps. Yeah, the blood table has other bonuses, but when it's biggest, capstone effect is nigh unusable, and when the book delivers practically nothing else, what does tgat even say about the design process here? Like khaine magic, KDK just reeks of no effort, and as a csm player, I'm just about fed up.

Sorry, the daemonkin just sorta touch a nerve with me...
OK. Maybe it's possible you are missing part of the puzzle. First, necrons and harlequins are getting nothing but praise from the podcasts and competitive players. Necrons seemed a bit OP at first, with their built in feel no pain that always works, and how awesome their durcurion and formation bonuses are, but if you build them that way, they lose any objective secure benefits. The key to beating necrons is focus on annihilating who units and key support models ie kill the spyders, stalkers, arks, etc.

Harlequins are mobile, have great transports and support to get their units quickly into combat. They can survive a couple turns outside of it, and can control enemy positions with death jesters and solitaires. You need to maintain cover and use your veil of tears powers, bobbing through cover etc. But if you play evasion, denied flank style tactics and engaged the right uniuts, you will tear through your enemy. Multiple players I know are building harlequin armies and loving them so far.

Khorne daemonkin is another example of just a few tweaks changing sub par units into winners. The blood tithe rule means you have to be careful how you kill them or die to them or they get more blood tithe to boost their ability and summon daemons. You kill units at the wrong time and they could gain an edge that swings the game back in their favor. That is awesome for a close combat army in 40k. Not to mention how the newer khorne, both 40k and wfb, have been solving khorne not having options or being threatening when they fail their charge. Doing things like small bonuses to charging, refilling charges, impact hits, strength buffs, HKB, etc is all good things to be doing to khorne in both games. Khorne is becoming more reliable and horizontal in power. That's been heavily needed.

And the summoning bloodthirsters for free, except it's not. You have to sacrifice characters. Thats old school daemon summoning and the loss of the character is the cost. Things you mention all create power spikes and shifts for an army that would be dull and predictable otherwise. GW may have solved khorne lacking psychics and non-combat support, which is what khorne players wanted. Daemonkin isn't even out and on the table, so how can you honestly critique it yet?

Then, look at the codecies and adepicticon results. First, the codecies have been streamlining the special rules and making playing against an unknown army easier, getting rid of specific army rules knowledge. Ie special rules combo bloat, or better known as the warmahordes effect. This was plaguing 40k through 6th edition, and they caught it and are thankfully removing it. Then at adepticon, there was a pretty diverse showing of armies and competitive builds. Guard and tyranids were underrepresented, and harlequins were to new, but everything else showed and they were surprised at the winning armies. Eldar aside, which need some adjustments.

Even the BoLS guys did their open comp event, and they said the same thing. Armies were diverse and creative and nothing seemed to dominate.

Right now 40k is being herald as been on track to being the most balanced and diverse its ever been. And the whole unbound thing isn't seeming to matter as no one I uses it. The formations are more appealing any ways, to be honest.

Any rate, that's what I'm seeing.
 
Hmm... What about Dark Elves and Doomfire Warlocks, and the 473 bolt throwers that can be taken, and all the 1+ peg characters? Or Wild Riders being fast cav, or all elves having ASF?? Banner of the World Dragon? No? None of these rules are utter tripe?
 
The Dark Elf guerilla/speed list is disgusting, I'll give you that, but World Dragon isn't that tough to counter. Daemon players are the ones with the most reason to gripe about it and they did but then they actually played against it and found a way to deal just as other armies have done the same.
VC has plenty of options for countering the Banner, namely a zombie brick. The damage output of Whitelions isn't as deadly as it may seem (I list them as they are the most common choice to carry it) so the zombies can and will hold them in place for an entire game provided they are healed. We can always summon speedbumps, too.

High Elves honestly need the Banner, otherwise they are too fragile to stick around in the current meta. They play deathstar with BotWD or with a Star Dragon but aside from that, they will fold rather quickly against the newer armies if they try taking say, a block of spears and two elite infantry units.

As for Wild Riders, they are the only actual good combat unit in the Wood Elf list aside from Durthu. Eternal Guard are a shadow of their former selves without the Rhymer's Harp and normal Treemen are str 5 now which simply isn't enough to deal with monstrous cav or 1+/2+ armor save foes.
 
With Wild Riders I don't mind them being some of the most devastating cav in game, its the fact they are fast cav that drives me up the wall. Oh also on the topic of Wood Elves, the Atrribute for their High Lore is blood stupid... Then we also have the Twilight Sisters rules when on Gwindalor, GW need to be shot for that...

BotWD is more of an issue for the fact it almost completely buggers a single armies ability to attack, and makes that death start (which generally has everything sitting in it) relatively immune to most peoples killy lords...

Yeah Dark Elves are an anathema to the game in their current rendition, too much good stuff, for too cheap that is too fast...
 
Hmm... What about Dark Elves and Doomfire Warlocks, and the 473 bolt throwers that can be taken, and all the 1+ peg characters? Or Wild Riders being fast cav, or all elves having ASF?? Banner of the World Dragon? No? None of these rules are utter tripe?

Raising back units from the dead, literally every turn. Double your army size without having to pay for it? Healing your characters in both player turns? Units that can only be harmed by magic? Entire army is unbreakable, ITP, and never takes a panic test?

Every army has things that seem broken to some other players and those things can be really hard to counter for some but really easy to counter for others. That's what's so great about the game: having a diverse opponent group that challenges you as a general.
 
I'm all for diversity and everything mate, don't get me wrong. I'm currently talking about costing and balance over diversity.

Not sure how you're managing to heal wounds back over both magic phases, unless your talking about rolling 'that' 6 on your vamp after some wounds..

You also do, technically, pay for it, it doesn't happen automatically, you've not only paid points for the necros and vamps to facilitate casting of the spells, but your also not dish out a lot of damage while buffing shit. I will also note I think our lore is the best in the game.

ITP is overrated completely, sure last edition maybe, this one, well if we weren't ITP we would just take a BSB.. Also Unbreakable is amazing, but, alas we also crumble, even our good stuff crumbles, thus 9/10 we can't combo charge like most armies... Also we get no benefits from stubborn or steadfast (aside from denying enemy stead fast), it doesn't even lessen our crumble. Also we can't flee (or in TK/UL legions case) can't stand and shoot, we have to wear what ever is hitting us in the face...

Aand if we aren't talking about Undead Legions, we are the only army that is 90% boned if we lose our general, most others can keep limping along, ours, buggered...
 
More off topic grousing, ignore:

And the summoning bloodthirsters for free, except it's not. You have to sacrifice characters. Thats old school daemon summoning and the loss of the character is the cost.
The point isn't that there is a cost, the point is that you lose a character on turn, what, 4? In exchange for a bloodthirster that doesn't actually show up until turn six, because it deep strikes in, and the FMC rules therefore put it into swooping mode, which means it not only cannot charge the turn you lost one of your characters, which was probably already contributing in melee, but it can't charge the next turn, either. And whip or no, a blood thirster that isn't charging isn't contributing.

And that's the thing, unless you can ramp up to 8 blood points in the first couple turns of the game, that $100 bloodthirster model you ploped on the table is effectively cosmetic. It's the top end of the table! You inherently have to delay your blood bonuses to use it! The last item on the table needed to be something that mattered right away, not the one item on the table with literally the longest time delay between activation and effect, especially when it has reduced your combat ability during that time!

It's terrible design! They put the biggest, flashiest effect on the top of the charts, and never stopped to ask if the implementation was actually usable!

GW may have solved khorne lacking psychics and non-combat support, which is what khorne players wanted.
I don't know what khorne players you've been talking to, but the ones I know wanted cult terminators and HQs. What they didn't want was a book that removes the only (special character) cult HQ they still had. What they wanted was a book that rewards them for running power and terminator armored bodies, and so far KDK does not look to be that at all. I don't know of any Khorne player who was saying "you know, I love the sorts of narrow, CSMless CSM rush lists I'm already pushed by my book to field, but I really wish that my book wanted me to field hounds instead of spawn or bikes as my character retinues."

Daemonkin isn't even out and on the table, so how can you honestly critique it yet?

Apparently the same way you can honestly claim it as some sort of triumph? By looking at the (extensive) leaks? I mean, what don't we have confirmation on yet, the price of one or two of the less attractive artifacts?

First, the codecies have been streamlining the special rules and making playing against an unknown army easier, getting rid of specific army rules knowledge. Ie special rules combo bloat, or better known as the warmahordes effect. This was plaguing 40k through 6th edition, and they caught it and are thankfully removing it.

No, instead we have rules source bloat. Clearly you've never had an opponent claim a unit had a special rule, and then take five minutes trying to find what source gave them that rule (was it built into the unit? Did a supplement add it? A formation?), or had to argue with someone that some unit didn't have a special rule because they weren't selected from within a structure that granted it (for instance, that helcult cultists don't have objective secured).


Formations are messy, but that mess is worthwhile where it gives you reasons to run units that are otherwise pointless or lackluster, but too many of the formations, especially in the KDK book don't do that. Instead of making you want to take bad units, they try and force you to take them, by making them required for benefits that you'll then apply to other units that matter. None of the KDK formations make you want to take possessed, bloodcrushers, warp talons, berzerkers, or chaos marines, and increased minimums and full price MoK prereq manage to make a few of those units worse than they already were. They just require them, turn them from bad units you don't take into formation taxes, and imo that's even worse.


It's like Krell in the host of death formation from archaon. What's he doing there? Nothing. He's just as terrible as he always is. He's doing nothing, you don't want to field him, at least not mechanically. He's just a tax. Compare to Arkhan and Nagash in the same formation. These units aren't terrible on their own, but the fluffy combination of both in the same army is total redundancy, so the formation gives you a bonus to make fielding both together more functional, or at least less punishing. Yeah, that formation is a mixed bag, demonstrating both the potential and the pitfalls of formation design, but there you go.

That's what a good formation is, it's like Nagash & Arkhan in the HoD. It doesn't replace the obligation on designers to make units function on their own, it should be used to provide extra motivation for fielding combinations of already functional units that would be fluffy together but don't synergize.

When they're used haphazardly, instead of making particular combinations more fun, it has you fielding bad units as taxes to heap extra benefits on units that are already good, like Krell in the HoD, and imo that just isn't fun. And KDK's formations are all over that.

When they're not just "formation: one thing. No bonuses or rules, it's just the thing. Don't know why this thing is a formation at all really."



Just... aaagh. I like the idea of formations, and if the implementation is like in the Necron book, then maybe they won't be awful, but if they look like KDK... Honestly, if Anything in 9e looks lie KDK....
 
40K has it's attractions. To be honest, I think it's in about the best shape it's been for years. Hopefully the Necrons are a blip on the radar and the other codexes get the same treatment as the Grey Knights, Blood Angels and Space Wolves. There's a couple of issues with the game, but overall I think it's more playable than WHFB right now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: najo
It certainly scales better, which is the main thing. And it's easier to find smaller pickup games, which is a function of both the ease of scaling in the rules and community standards.

But despite interfaction balance, I find it just a hassle to play, and the intrafaction balance of some of the armies is abysmal, and not getting better from what I've seen, and in some cases is extremely punishing for anyone trying to run any sort of narrative fluff army for their faction.
 
Heh...I actually dropped Fantasy and started playing 40K again. 40K is definitely improving, apart from my uber-nerfed DE dex that forces me to play without Wyches, all the latest dexes are nicely balanced in terms of power. Well...much better than they ever were! We'll see if this trend continues with upcoming releases.
Intrafaction, yikes have to agree with Malisteen there. That's a mess!
I mostly play Kill Team from Heralds of Ruin anyway as it's much more fun but overall I feel 40K plays smoother than Fantasy. And yes; scalibility!

Though I always found Fantasy much more tactical in terms of deployment and Movement the last two edition of Fantasy felt 'clunky' to me. I started playing in Herohammer way back so OP characters don't freak me out but the 'bigger-better' hordes were getting annoying.

I am not angry that GW kills off the game as we know it. Hell, looking at the sales I would have pulled the plug long ago. You can whine about GW all you want, and yes their marketing is sometimes full of WTH-moments, but they did try to enliven Fantasy. They did not, as some suggest, let it die out on its own. We got new books and kits even though it was already beyond the point of saving(financially).
I'm just sad that we lose such a rich setting. That's my main gripe. I'm always very invested in the fluff of any game. I play because of background. It's one of the reason WarmaHordes never attracted me. The fluff is just meh.

I just want to see what Fantasy is going to look like. To be honest though, I find myself looking forward to the coming AdMech and the rumors of 30K becoming a main GW line with much more interest than 9th.
 
I just can't get behind 30k. No matter how good or balanced it is, it's generic marines against generic marines. 30k era legions are too homogenous, and heretic marines have none of the flavor of their 40k chaos marine counterparts (in terms of fluff & personality, not talking about rules here). I just find it so boring that my eyes cross, and frankly I preferred the Heresy as a time of half forgotten legends, and haven't especially enjoyed the way the Black Library coverage has been nailing everything down into 'this happened then to them' details that, imo, strip away the overall grandure. Same with the 30k game, honestly.

It's cool we'll be seeing a plastic heresy box set release, but I'll be giving it a pass, it's just not for me.

As for 9e, I'm not exactly upset, and mostly like the way they wrapped up the narrative (rules, on the other hand...)

But while I'm not upset over 9e, I'm not excited for it or holding my breath, either. I'll be getting what enjoyment I can out of end times stuff, and will treat 9e as a new game in its own right when it's released.
 
Last edited:
The fluff and the rules ,IMHO, were just damn perfect,that's why I started raging with the ETC.
I just hope we get some decent writer in the new fluff and some smartass writing rules for the 9th, NOT like ETC. At all
 
BotWD is more of an issue for the fact it almost completely buggers a single armies ability to attack, and makes that death start (which generally has everything sitting in it) relatively immune to most peoples killy lords...

It's because of BotWD that some of those overpowered killy lords can be held in check somewhat, ditto for the new skaven unit of doom. I know on the Beatmen forum they are glad the banner exists for just such a reason.

If your VL is having a hard time dealing with High Elves, switch to a mundane weapon like myself, Najo and others on the forum have. These things happen; a new army or new unit is revealed and it changes the meta, other armies alter some element of their lists in order to deal with it.

Another approach you could take is to eliminate everything else in the High Elf list.

As for Wood Elves with High Magic, the buff will work on the caster's unit only so either go after it with a heap of attacks or go after other units. I know Asrai are a tough matchup for vampires but every army has one or two bad matchups at least.
 
  • Like
Reactions: najo
It's because of BotWD that some of those overpowered killy lords can be held in check somewhat, ditto for the new skaven unit of doom. I know on the Beatmen forum they are glad the banner exists for just such a reason.

If your VL is having a hard time dealing with High Elves, switch to a mundane weapon like myself, Najo and others on the forum have. These things happen; a new army or new unit is revealed and it changes the meta, other armies alter some element of their lists in order to deal with it.

Another approach you could take is to eliminate everything else in the High Elf list.

As for Wood Elves with High Magic, the buff will work on the caster's unit only so either go after it with a heap of attacks or go after other units. I know Asrai are a tough matchup for vampires but every army has one or two bad matchups at least.

It's really only the silverhelm / dragon prince BotWD buses that are a concern, since all of our good options for cutting through armour are magical. White lion deathstars are easy enough to redirect, or to hammer with crypt horrors or vargheists...or heck, even skeletons. You don't want your blender lord anywhere near that unit anyways given the number of high S attacks they're putting out.


Wood Elves are the much bigger concern, since their main weakness (low T, low saves) isn't something we really have the tools to exploit. 6-dice Gaze...? Yeah, no. They're our worst match-up by a long shot. Guy in my meta is running this double high wildrider bunker (13+ swedish) that's giving me nightmares. Haven't figured out what to do about it yet.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu