• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Yet another edition of our favourite painting competition is upon us - and the new topic is "Ancient Evil", as proposed by @Malisteen !

You are all open to interpret the topic as you will. It can be about dusty mummies, rusty wights, liches and Nagashes, but also about old models or reviving abandoned projects. Other interpretations are welcome to, provided they are reasonably sane! It could be a single undead or a whole unit of them, of all scales and sizes.

Original models and conversions allowed.

The Prize: The winner earns the glory and a place in the Hall of Infamy thread. The winner also gets to select the theme of the next painting challenge (note that the winner only has a weekend to present the decision, so please be prepared and available).

The Rules:
  • All models entered should not have been painted more than a year ago from the date the entry thread is closed. This will not be enforced but violators will politely be asked to retract their entry.
  • All miniatures presented must have been painted by the entrant.
  • Max one entry per person.
  • Max 3 images per entry (including pictures in collages), of reasonable size.
  • No voting for your own entry.
  • No model can be entered into several challenges.
  • For every started set of 5 entries, each member gets a single vote (for example: with 7 entries everyone would get 2 votes).
  • Open entries and open voting. Everyone can see who painted what.
  • Models can be of any manufacturer and conversion but must fulfill all the criteria of the given theme.
  • If no decision on the next theme is made within a week of the winner announcement, the decision falls to the competition organizer.

The Schedule:
Week 1, Monday: Theme announcement and entry thread created
Week 7, Sunday: Entry thread closed. Voting thread opened.
Week 8, Friday: Voting thread closed. Result announced. Winner asked about next theme.

Because the voting was delayed a bit and I am posting this on Tuesday, we will start the official countdown from the next Monday - but you can all start working now ;)

This thread is now open for people to post their entries. Please state a name of the miniature along with the pictures (ex: Vampire Lord or Countess Squigmachine). The thread closes on the 14th of April 2019 at (roughly) 23:59 CET (but we are not in a hurry, we can easily extend it much longer if someone needs to finish their entry)

And a list of subscribers who will get a notification about the competition (you don't have to be listed here to enter!):

@robtion
@Adam_Barrow
@Eyeless
@Mad 'At
@Azakael
@Shadespyre
@Farmer7574
@Devour the Cabbage
@Nikos
@Leithel
@Mioum
@Angie
@Sessioni
@Pigbones
@Raizi
@Nagash Worshiper
@Unas the slayer
@edwardvlad
@Theerteen
@Malisteen

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
If you could add me to that notification list, I'd appreciate it.

As one might expect, I had a particular personal project in mind when I came up with the topic, in order to give me a bit of a cheeky head start, at least conceptually. But unlike the dragon, it isn't something I'd already recently finished regardless, so I'll have to do some actual work in an actually timely fashion to complete it. We'll see how that goes.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Picked something out - 35 years old or thereabouts. Definitely ancient and definitely evil, too.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
A quick question: would Vargheists count in this category? They’re not ‘ancient’ per se but I think they were vamps that got locked up & starved for a long time and turned into monstrous vamp beasts (if I remember their fluff correctly)...

brr-icy

Skeleton
Jan 23, 2019
Ontario
@Borgnine Ok, Just undead. I have a nagash I did this summer, that work? I had just finished up some ancient chaos models that I was pretty excited about lol. I do have the last Mannfred model to paint up though, hmm

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Old lore for vargheists had them slowly transformed into monsters over long periods of confinement. I personally got the impression that such confinement might take centuries, and a vampire might have been centuries old already before being subjected to such a fate.

So I personally wouldn't personally object to vargheists being entered under the topic, especially if they're models you've had lying around for a while. Might take some extra painting or conversion flair to sell voters on the idea once the round ends.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
I guess the vague term 'ancient' leaves you some possibilities there, @Farmer7574 ;) A dusty ancient backstory wouldn't hurt certainly xD

And I will have something to enter at last - next week I'll have some patinated wraiths ready to go - I hope they will be ancient enough for the competition ;)

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Guess I will start. The reanimated behemoth!

EEzLGoS.jpg

lRltpA7.jpg

yK8JgdK.jpg

Reactions: Sception

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
Ok, Vargs are back on the table for this. I think the amount of time I'm taking with these already qualifies them for 'ancient' but I'll write a bit of fluff for them anyways. This competition is the shove I need to get these done - CN, you're awesome :bowdown:

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Lovely first entry there, meanwhile I'm still worrying about what colour to paint my entry!!!

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
@Farmer7574 Ah, that's the question. If I paint it to suit my army, it takes me one way, but it's away from how the model should be painted, I think.

That said, I might have just thought of a compromise between the two. No idea if I can paint it, though! Might be that I'll give it a go, knowing that I can always respray it and start again!;)

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Several repaintings later, I have an entry:

The Witch King of Angmar, Lord of the Nazgul

edited-image_zpsfiffmjps.png
edited-image_zpsgmalj1ym.png
edited-image_zpscclbfsh1.png

How Evil is he?
He's the leader of the Ringwraiths and Sauron's second in command. In that time he destroyed the kingdom of Arnor, leaving the Dunedain homeless, captures Minas Ithil and redecorates it all in black, kills the last king of Gondor, stabs Frodo with a magic knife, and is generally a rum cove.

How Ancient is he?
Wikipedia estimates that he served Sauron for over 4000 years, no exact figure as Tolkien never actually specifies who the Nazgul were in life.
Also, the model here dates from 1985

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu