• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
After more than a year, our beloved painting competition returns! In the Turning the World to Darkness we pick a different theme each time, and the goal is to represent the theme or find ways to turn it to the ways of undead!

In the spirit of our grand return, the theme for this competition is "Resurrection"!

You are all open to interpret the topic as you will, so let your imagination roam free! It can be a simple zombie rising from the dirt, a big diorama of a twisted resurrection ritual, an act of boneshaping, a Necromancer casting Invocation...the possibilities are endless, and the interpretation doesn't even have to be so literal. You are also encouraged to use models or parts from whatever army you feel like, not restricted to undead only. It could be a single model or a whole unit of them, of all scales and sizes.

Original models (sculpts) and conversions are allowed.

The Prize: The winner earns the glory and a place in the Hall of Infamy thread and a forum medal once they are available. The winner also gets to select the theme of the next painting challenge (note that the winner only has a weekend to present the decision, so please be prepared and available).

The Rules:
  • All models entered should not have been painted more than a year ago from the date the entry thread is closed. This will not be enforced but violators will politely be asked to retract their entry.
  • All miniatures presented must have been painted by the entrant.
  • Max one entry per person.
  • Max 3 images per entry (including pictures in collages), of reasonable size.
  • No voting for your own entry.
  • No model can be entered into several challenges.
  • For every started set of 5 entries, each member gets a single vote (for example: with 7 entries everyone would get 2 votes).
  • Open entries and open voting. Everyone can see who painted what.
  • Models can be of any manufacturer and conversion but must fulfill all the criteria of the given theme.
  • If no decision on the next theme is made within a week of the winner announcement, the decision falls to the competition organizer.

The Schedule:

Week 1, Monday: Theme announcement and entry thread created
Week 6, Sunday: Entry thread closed. Voting thread opened.
Week 8, Friday: Voting thread closed. Result announced. Winner asked about next theme.

This thread is now open for people to post their entries. Please state a name of the entry along with the pictures. The thread closes on the 12th of September 2021 at (roughly) 23:59 CET (but we are not in a hurry, we can easily extend it if someone needs to finish their entry). You can also comment and discuss in this thread, it is not restricted exclusively for entries.

EDIT: The new deadline is 19th of September 2021 (Sunday).

Last edited:

MedMos

Ghoul
Sep 15, 2015
Lundby, Sjælland
I don't know if we're supposed to state intent, but I'll try and finish my Black Coach and enter that. The fluff says it's a powerful Vampire syphoning necromantic energy to return to un-life, so I figure it falls within the theme? If not, let me know. 😊

It has a very limited bit of paint on already, from way back when, but has been dormant for years. Picture below for the present state of the thing. I'm thinking the entry will be called "Grandpa is still with us!"
2021-08-02 16.06.43.jpg

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
I don't know if we're supposed to state intent, but I'll try and finish my Black Coach and enter that. The fluff says it's a powerful Vampire syphoning necromantic energy to return to un-life, so I figure it falls within the theme? If not, let me know. 😊

Feel free to, although it is not mandatory, it's fun to see what are people starting with and aiming for. 🙂 And yeah the Black Coach is perfectly fine!

It has a very limited bit of paint on already, from way back when, but has been dormant for years. Picture below for the present state of the thing. I'm thinking the entry will be called "Grandpa is still with us!"

Haha. love the name of the entry. 😁 Reminds me of some black comedy movie stuff...

Reactions: MedMos

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Can I enter the wolves I just finished? I painted them years ago but just re-based and posed, updated them with extra bits, and partially repainted them (blood, rust, grime, new skin on the ladies, etc). Took me most of the day. Here they are anyway, but feel free to exclude/disregard them if they don't meet entry requirements ;)

Title: “Who’s a good boy”?!
Miniature: Broken Wolves
(Alternative Crypt Horrors)

Most find it hard to believe that these savage beasts were once men. For years they stalked the Dark Woods and it’s surrounds unchecked, slaughtering cattle and unwary travellers at will, and terrorising hamlets and villages. Their blood curdling howls were a constant presence, haunting the darkness and causing many a peasant a sleepless night.

Seeing their worth, the Dark Lady sent her minions to bring the wolves under her sway. Using their ethereal beauty and charms, the vampire lord’s thralls soon brought the wolves to heel, unleashing them to wreak havoc on the battlefield at their dark master’s behest.
Downloads.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Grave Tacticus

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
We have entered the last week of posting entries so make sure to get yours in by Sunday! 😁
But as mentioned earlier, if anyone needs a few more days to wrap it up, we can easily extend it.

Reactions: Grave Tacticus

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
I painted a bunch of stuff this summer, but the model that best fits the theme is 'Gorslav the Gravekeeper' from the Warhammer Quest: Cursed City box set.

00sgravekeeper.jpg

I really love this model, it's more or less exactly how I would envision a 'priest of nagash' looking. And it's AoS rules are actually halfway decent - a nice cheap hero if you're running zombies & dire wolves. I'm pretty happy with how my paint job turned out, certainly more than happy enough to put it on a game table, but it was a bit rushed - I painted the entire cursed city box that month - so I might go back to touch it up a bit at some point in the future.

Last edited:

MedMos

Ghoul
Sep 15, 2015
Lundby, Sjælland
I must admit I could probably use an extra day or two... Time management hasn't been my friend these last weeks, especially kids-bedtime-management. My hobby time lies between everyone else sleeping and me having to sleep to be able to function properly next day.😁 I'll still try to finish, just might not make it.

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
Ok, going to extend the deadline by a week, that should suffice if anyone needs a little more time or decides to enter. 🙂

The new and final deadline is Sunday the 19th!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu