• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Alright, the Windmill is done... mostly (needs some static grass). Though those of you who read my latest battle report have already seen it ;)

It took longer than I would have wanted, but this 3D-printed, lego and balsa wood fuse turned out really great if you ask me. Onto the pictures:

First we have the WIPs, starting with the hub:
q9Ghoaf.jpg

And the complete, but unpainted Windmill:
DXByplw.jpg

V1XfL99.jpg

And the painted product:
5oOTV5k.jpg

yI3COsl.jpg

ibO2QBf.jpg

Z0oiAzC.jpg

And here we have it disassembled:
ma6PBU5.jpg

And finally, I made two .gif images of it. First show how it is assembled:
DpsPLKw.gif

And when running:
B3dziAv.gif

It was really fun making this thing. Will probably continuing with adding mechanical and/or electronic stuff to terrain.

That's all for now :)

Last edited:

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Great work! Clean and proper, it could be an official terrain piece. The last picture is kinda funny, with all this colorful machinery hidden inside the windmill - it reminds me a bit how modern buildings sometimes try to look old, but they are very much modern on the inside ;)
Also, the gifs are not working for me, there are 404 errors instead of them. Is it only my problem?

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Great work, Mad!

Mechanically functioning terrain is an awesome idea.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Time to show you all what I have been up to lately. In the VC plog I recently showed you some pics of a Mordheim Warband I'm working on. There has been some progress there and hopefully I can make an update on that later today or tomorrow. For now, in this plog, I'm gonna show ou another project related to Mordheim that I've been working on, the terrain.

To start of, here are parts of the city that I've been building, the parts that have gotten no longer than being built:
IyTg00o.jpg

FoVF4U5.jpg

HbucU1j.jpg

All of these building are built using Foamcore. Cut to shape and glue together using a hot glue gun. Wooden details have been made from balsa wood. I've also used a lot of details printed with a 3D-printer, with designs I've made myself. The sky is really the limit here, been using it to make mostly windows, doorways and edge decorations, but there are lots of other details that could be made. Sadly the 3D-printer I have been using its having some hiccups currently so I've had to take a break in the process of building these ruins.

That has left me with time to move on in the process however, towards painting. The next step is sealing the exposed foam of the foamcore with wooden glue. This makes it easier to paint and much more durable. After that I give the building some texture using this:
CtDdgnc.jpg

These two ruins are currently in that stage of the process:
aj9vvEz.jpg

Here you can possibly see the texture a bit:
am5cXLG.jpg

After that, it is time for painting. So far I have painted 3 ruins, check them out below:
yF5speF.jpg

Pslje2N.jpg

jrUduuG.jpg

Here you can really see the effect of the texture. With just some simple drybrushes the walls of the ruins get a wonderful feel. The stone ones are painted just using a basecoat and 2 or 3 drybrushes, with an extra bright drybrush on the details to make them stand out. The timber framed house was also given texture on the walls, which was the drybrushed. the timber framing was painted brown and the roof a brown with a slight tone of red.

That is all for now, but hopefully more to come.

Reactions: Seneschal

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Thanks mate :)

Just hope I can keep the work so that we in our group eventually could have an all painted Mordheim board.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
More terrain finished. These are the latest additions:
F3rckdN.jpg

Three ruins, a lake and two portals.

Close ups of the ruins:
wlYiQoj.jpg

This was the first one I built, very happy with the outcome.

db9UETZ.jpg

WZb0zQl.jpg

What I imagine as a ruined hospital, haunted by the souls of those who perished while in care there.

bNwSEIf.jpg

And a watchtower. The ruins are no glued to the bases, as that would make them harder to use in Mordheim which is what they were built for. However, I figured we could use them as ruins in 9th Age too. When a unit enters it you simply move the ruin out of the way, the base show the extent of the ruin.

Then we have the two portals. These are AoS terrain that was bought by my gaming club because they were cool. Speedy paintjob given so that we can use them at the tournament next weekend. Will probably just function as impassable terrain, but the next time around I'm sure we'll having some more interesting rules for them. Anyone care to guess my inspiration for the colour of the magic stuff in them?

vkd3XsY.jpg

Next some WIP terrain. Another three lakes and some more ruins:
uHOnA5k.jpg

The lakes are made following this guide by our very own @RedSkullz: link. Will add another layer with blue tinted Envirotex, we'll see how it goes. Right now they look quite horrible though =/

And finally a ruin built and painted by my brother, almost finished:
o5G9RHQ.jpg

C&C much appreciated =)

Sessioni

Black Knight
Dec 29, 2014
I like those AoS portals alot, they would fit to my group's Storm of Magic scenarios nicely. But I like your own creations more :) That sand effect is super cool. One thing about Mordheim is that you can make your warband ready for battle in relative short period of time, but the scenery in the game is almost in bigger part than the warbands. Do you play Mordheim on 4'x4' sized boards? I don't know why I haven't ever bothered trying out that game, it was very popular back in the 6th edition and it seems like it still is, which is great. Does it use the same set of rules when released, or has it some kind of patch with 8th edition system? Anyways, nice scenery. I'd love to see them all together set up for the game.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
@Sessioni: Thanks :)
Yeah, Mordheim certainly has a pull with requiring fewer models, but it is true that the terrain puts up some barriers instead. In the past this was solved by having some really cool terrain included in the boxed set, but nowday those are quite hard to come by.
1v1 games are better played at 4x4' boards, but if you play multiplayer you'd want larger.
The official GW stuff is all from 6th edition. Since then there has been a lot of fan made additions and modification, but nothing from GW. I am actually working on my own version of it to go along with the 9th Age. We are using it in my own gaming group but I'd like to get some more testing done before any releases. It is mostly the same but some ideals imported from 9th Age, and a lot of rewrites to make the rules more clear.

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Jul 3, 2010
Nice portal, does it come with the gun? :D Lovely Mordheim stuff too, only criticism I could make is that maybe they look a bit too clean? Maybe they aren't yet finished (I'm guilty of not having read everything!), but more stain on walls and rubble on the ground/floor would make them more "alive" if that make sense.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
No gun yet, but who knows, maybe I can work it into the scenario for the next tournament. Very good input about them being too clean, hadn't actually thought of that but it is certainly true. Had some thoughts about adding graffiti posters to walls, but dirt stains should look really cool too, especially on the brighter walls. Blood, mud and sot could probably also work. On the darker ones though... I don't know.. maybe bird poop could work? Rubble and such I won't include in the ruins, since it would complicate moving the models around, but I will make some separate piles latter that I can spread out around the table where needed.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
I noticed the contrast of orange and blue but I didn't connect it with that portals... damnit my brain sometimes :frown: And I'll join the comments about the dirt, your buildings could use some grime, especially the first one with the detailing on the corners. The dirty remainings of rainwater dripping from the edges of window ledge, some moss by the ground or on the upward facing parts of the buildings. Bird poop could also look quite convincing :thumbsup:

Hellion Nox

Grave Guard
Nov 10, 2014
Very nicely done Mad! Maybe here's an idea to give even more life to your scenery.
You could always make some Skaven sigils to cover the walls or doors. Or markings from the Plague like in the novels.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Forgot to reply it seems... must have been the tournament stealing all my attention. But that came and went last weekend, and now I thought I'd post some pics from it. But first I'll say thanks to @Realjuan, @mousekiler and @Hellion Nox for the comments and kind words. I will add dirt and markings is a good idea too.

Now, we had 60 players at the tournament and 31 tables. Before it all started, on Friday evening, I took pictures of the all, you'll find them bellow. This is not only to share with you guys but also good bookkeeping for my club so that we know how much terrain we have.
pCORsj6.jpg

xQLgdS7.jpg

FdJSzRR.jpg

3kqykEx.jpg

XEkf26U.jpg

0gfWJlz.jpg

HrH6wtI.jpg

a4tL6ya.jpg

xAtoovW.jpg

JvH82E0.jpg

4XrhET3.jpg

H19zsTH.jpg

vIncROe.jpg

5eqVltb.jpg

QieCREG.jpg

pX2Ap05.jpg

tMAFi2x.jpg

a0We7uu.jpg

gNk4f36.jpg

GuQuZkx.jpg

YA69lMx.jpg

D4AF8Bm.jpg

6LViij3.jpg

KRsbrSA.jpg

JyjddMZ.jpg

H4wXyrt.jpg

jSjQ4Ww.jpg

NpwCmRR.jpg

AzK7tAN.jpg

SudLUyE.jpg

vfTv127.jpg

ZyyOiEN.jpg

A few of the tables were changed shortly before the tournament started I realise now that I look at the pictures, but you get the idea.

Also took some pictures during the event that I thought I could share:
DwSRfqe.jpg

Ms6XGiG.jpg

euv1z7b.jpg

thx5zyc.jpg

Q2X5zSb.jpg

YRDpw1U.jpg

Here we have the windmill in full swing @mousekiller ;)

8xXa8Oc.jpg

QBRaBZu.jpg

75RZayZ.jpg

LZQWjsC.jpg

z2XEJUf.jpg

u3bveUu.jpg

yvM6tVb.jpg

eouByYg.jpg

pMTARfr.jpg

KljdA0T.jpg

ArdOJnV.jpg

RDIZV34.jpg

JwRRRbc.jpg

xmeNWrq.jpg

The dwarf above is known as Arthur, he died by poisonous blowpipe darts just before reaching Camelot.

Here are the 6 armies that were nominated for Best Army in Show:
q2keVvD.jpg

rv7T1f3.jpg

EbaNexV.jpg

hDEws0Z.jpg

bt0NCeJ.jpg

3Mv9mid.jpg

The Orc and Goblins army came in first place, the snowy Sylvan Elves (Wood Elves) in second and the Dwarven Holds army in the third picture came in third place.

These are the Model that were entered into Best Painted Models:
npMgaUD.jpg

xOfhKgP.jpg

ft7OEHA.jpg

59xUIpE.jpg

UlOZvZJ.jpg

EQo3iiU.jpg

ZKlCcnZ.jpg

LeeLpwF.jpg

dxcMWGP.jpg

kn9t1wR.jpg

luBqlwS.jpg

V2fcWOq.jpg

BdmgtHa.jpg

p9u4pIt.jpg

KPEqtUd.jpg

SgtmJIw.jpg

This was won by the Dwarf Slayer mounted on a Squig (or rather Seeker mounted on Gnasher).

And one last thing, this happened xD

That is all for now folks, feel free to comment.

Realjuan

Zombie
Jun 30, 2014
Nice, jealous of having a nice community to play with. Do you give your wood texture lines or something? If so how you do it? I am never satisfied with the texture I try to give my spearmen's spears.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
@mousekiller: Classic indeed, there a bit annoyed about it. But actually glad that it was the first game and not the last. Could have been an awkward ride home if one had beaten the other to a bloody pulp on the battlefield.

@Realjuan: Yeah, the Swedish community has almost fully accepted 9th Age. Our tournament was even bigger this time than ever before, which is really quite amazing considering all that has happened and that the rule system used is still just in beta stage.

On the buildings above I've used nothing other than drybrushes on the wood, quite messy ones at even. The wood is however made from actual balsa wood, so it gets some nice texture from that. On my miniatures I usually paint wood texture using a fine brush, basically freehanding it.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Time for some real random stuff.

I some of you might be aware, I was recently on my yearly vacation to the frozen north of sweden. I just came back and have had a great time as usual. As some of you might also know I often bring a sculpting project with me as it is not that much to pack and it is a nice to do on the evening. Both of my mangler squigs were sculpted on such trips, as was the Varkolak. This year I couldn't think of a suitable project to bring with me. Instead I decided to paint a dragon for my cousin.

Last year I was up my cousin bought this beauty on a flea market:
PwmAmsp.jpg

HPxyDLA.jpg

qe3ApPO.jpg

f5alr9u.jpg

13DmBGv.jpg

It is not the best sculpt in the world, but I immediately thought it would be pretty cool to paint it. And one year later I had the chance. So I ask my cousin to come up with a basic colour scheme for and (he decided on green) and I brought paints and brushes and everything.

The first thing I decided to do was to remove the grass things. It was made of fibre optics and could even glow thanks to a LED light mounted in the socket. I thought it looked a bit silly and so pulled it out. Here is a picture of it removed:
j9IUZAH.jpg

And then I had a little less than 2 weeks to paint it, and quite little time each day. I decided to use drybrushes on the main areas to speed things up.

I have no WIP pictures, so we'll move directly on to the finished thing:
LE1vzMM.jpg

sTsPUnT.jpg

YXREitc.jpg

bT1VLOW.jpg

14wtg6F.jpg

A close up on the weird crystal ball it had that I decided to paint as an egg:
Lc7nJs5.jpg

And a close up on the face:
kClU6Nq.jpg

My cousin was very happy with the result.

That is all for now folks. Feel free to comment and/or criticise.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu