• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
Loving the new Grimghast Reapers and the fact they will have a nice multipaet kit for them so soon is pretty amazing Depending on what the rest of the battle tome will be like I'll most likely just be fielding a large block of them alongside a few large units of the Chainrasps with a few characters buffing everything

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Interesting stuff.
You can really build a solid full-nighthaunt army.

Prepare yourself, 'cause I believe we'll see a tide of ethereal undead lists, in the same way we had FEC proliferation some time ago.

Not that is a bad thing… :twisted:

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Well, the model is quite interesting, but what I like the most about it is the base... Still, seems a bit derivative at this point. This guy, together with normal Knight of Shrouds, mounted Knight of Shrouds could be the final stage of a pokemon evolution chain xD

Now I just need the Black Coach to officially drop and I'll be able to make some orders ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Count michael

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
If anyone missed it, an article on the new nighthaunt named characters went up yesterday:

Heroes of the Nighthaunt - Warhammer Community

Their abilities look interesting, but I'm rather skeptical of the paltry wound count and lack of protection from mortal wounds. It seems like it would be a struggle to keep them on the table past the first battle round. Hopefully there's some sort of bodyguard mechanic in on of the yet unseen units or formations.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
In the meantime, the arc of the malign portent stories has come to an end...

In the end there is always something that stops the perfect plan of Nagash, and the final result is not the expected one.
It happens in nehekhara (Tomb Kings) and apparently something went wrong also here

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
The main change seems to be mortal wounds only on unmodified sizes to hit. Also, the black coach isn't getting replaced by the new version. Nighthaunt will get the fancy, higher points cost new coach and LoN keep the existing one under a new name.

Ol'timer

Ghoul
Oct 2, 2014
ok, picked up banshees and stalkers today. the sculps are really clean. kinda digging the rose motif carried through the range so far, also on line I saw that Manfred and arkhan are listed as GW only? did I miss this? I see neferata isn't. thoughts....

Last edited:

Ol'timer

Ghoul
Oct 2, 2014
Yeah, their shipment came in wendsday, so They were calling the special orders for pick up. Had a big pile of pre-order stuff, but. Mostly all 40k knights. There's some money at 140+ each.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I really like the idea of making faction-specific spells, even if the sigmarhammer tornado is even more over-the-top than usual. That chest with spooky skeleton heads is pretty awesome. Of course, I am saying this, from a hobby perspective - I don't like it from the gameplay perspective, this seems like yet another thing that needs to be bought to stay on the edge and not be left out... I wonder if GW even allows the possibility to use some cheap markers for those spells...

I agree. While I am very impressed by the increasing variety of spells and the models for the endless spells it is starting to feel rather excessive to have so many extra supplementary expansions being added to the game. Nevertheless, many of the models are really good and the aesthetic is spot on.

Regarding other models, I'm still not convinced by the Grimghast Reapers. Those blindfolds look really silly to me and put me off the models completely. That Mortarch of Grief looks even better every time that I see it though.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
New article is up with even more new Nighthaunt models including the black coach
Updates from the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Open Day - Warhammer Community
It looks amazing IMG_5690.JPG IMG_5691.JPG
They also updated the Mornghul in the free FW monster arcanum PDF
IMG_5692.PNG Seems like a very nice edition to a Nighthaunt army as a large centre piece model and only costs 300pts
Can't wait for the battletome to come out as I am really struggling on what to have as an army, I think I'll be going to start with 2 units of 20 Chainrasps with a guardian of souls and spirit torment for each unit as a base but really stuggleing to know what to include with how amazing all the new models are

Irisado

Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
That is an excellent model for the Black Coach. It is clear that GW has shifted the concept away from a vampire in a coffin to a more ethereal and spectral one, so it is very different in that respect, yet the model echoes the original in many other ways. It is a vastly superior kit to the old metal one. I am very impressed.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
After some time I am getting mixed feelings about the new coach. It's cool all right, the driver, the horses, the ghosts flying about - these are greatly improved, but the carriage itself looks kinda lacking. The original one looked very regal and elegant, and while this one has some fancy metal details, it's just boards nailed together - and it's way too open too. It's impressive and ghostly, but it lost it's swagger in my opinion.

I heard it doesn't replace the old one and is it's own thing, so maybe that's the reason. I still think I'll buy it at some point, but I'll replace the carriage with the old one and use this one for something else. Maybe a cool vampiric Casket of Souls?

Citrov

Zombie
Jun 19, 2018
Table Top Warfare
It will be interesting to see how the Mourngul runs, considering I can now use it in my Legions of Nagash army with the Nighthaunt faction now being an ally option.

Irisado

Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Borgnine: I see what you mean about it being less regal, and I think that you have a point. I do wonder though whether this was intended as I get the impression that Nighthaunt models are not meant to be overly ostentatious. I think that we're going to have to wait to see what the new Soulblight models are like for that sort of thing, as I am sure that Soulblight will receive the same sort of treatment as Nighthaunt in the future.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
It's definitely a cart to transport a coffin, and not a coach to transport riders. I personally don't mind the change, though, and think the overall model is just amazing.

Having picked up the full battletome and looked at the formations... not only are there no bodyguard type formations for the special characters, Olynder and Kurdos don't have any formations they can be included in at all, and the formation you can take Reikenor in seems a much better fit for a regular knight of shrouds, both mechanically and aesthetically, though it does provide a modicum of extra protection, so that's something.

So that again leaves all three special characters with only 7 wounds, and only a 6+ death save to protect them from mortal wounds. As cool as the abilities on Olynder and Kurdos are, they just don't seem durable enough to justify their points cost to me. It feels like a stiff breeze will see them off the table. Nighthaunt deep strike rules, particularly combined with some chronomatic cogs and maybe a deathrider formation, might be enough to tie up enemy ranged units before they have a chance to strike at them, though? And I suppose you could keep them in reserve until things are safe for them to show up. Kurdos in particular I don't think really needs to be on the table in your first hero phase, so maybe things aren't as bad for them as my gut's telling me at first glance, but all in all I'm pretty skeptical.

At 180 points, and a decent mix of melee and magical abilities, Reikenor's a bit easier for me to stomach.

I am a little frustrated about how few command abilities there are in the army. Only Olynder and the Knights of Shrouds have their own CAs. None of the many other heroes do, including the other special characters. The faction does have a general use CA for repositioning, but given the restriction on being close to enemy models when most likely nighthaunt generals seem to want to be pretty close in, and the deep strike ability to put units where you want them to begin with, I'm not sure how useful that is. After all the hype on command abilities going into 2e, it's a bit annoying that the first big faction release for 2e doesn't have more relevant toys to play with in that regard. Oh, well. The charge re-roll is better for nighthaunts than most other factions anyway, so most of your CPs were probably going there anyway.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu