• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
I spent the weekend ploughing through the "last" thirtyish of my Brown Orcs - it was raining, so I got a lot done. I'm a bit bored of them now if I'm honest! I should have pretty much 4000 points under 3rd Ed rules once I count it all up. The next step will be to make and paint all the standards and to finish all the bases (which are just plain black sand at the moment). I've never taken the approach of painting a whole army and then basing it afterwards before, so that should be interesting...

On the undead side, I finally got my hands on the Briar Queen model, so I shall paint her up at some point soon

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Shadespyre Now you're making me worry about finishing my O&G army's bases with grass and other details - they've amounted to around 250 bases and seem to keep growing...

On the undead front - I've got yet more grave guard on the go.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
I finally finished my 1980s Brown Orc army!

edited-image_zpsybnh1hpx.png

230 models in all! I still haven't mastered the concept of a "small project"...

Not sure what comes next. I started something for the new painting challenge, but I'm not very excited by it right now.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
"Finished an army" is something you don't read very often on a rank and file system... Congratz Dude :D

I'm working on 3 Soul Reaver Cavalry Models (aka Blood Knights) to upgrade my regiment to a horde, doing some zombie trolls and a Werewolf Champ for an upcoming tournament at the end of September. My first one, curious what will happen :P

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Thanks, both. never say never, but I painted about 30 more brown models than I really cared to, already!

My current project is a unit of 5 Space Marines, nice to have something very finite to work on

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
One batch of Vargs down and I’m taking a short break from fleshy stuff - I’ve now got the next batch of grave guard in the works.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Mucking around with a project I've been toying with for a while - classic D&D monsters. I think the Reaper Bones models, among others, make a few things affordable, now. My first project is Hill Giants. With a display board. Not the first time I've said that, yet to actually happen. If it works out I'll be following it with all the major Giant races and popular D&D monsters! Yes, it's another project of infinite length...

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
@robtion
That looks like a molten Greasus Goldtooth Gnoblar-carriers thing xD

Doing some more circus heroes atm, and a horde of strongmen troll in classic flexing and weightlifting poses. Super fun xD

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Hehe, I did Greasus myself not so long ago, the carrier looks very similar. And it's the model which made me hate finecast. Never worked with before, and will never again if there is a way to avoid it.

Quick question, because this here is one the more frequented, does anyone have a good idea for similar models like the gw stone trolls? I don't wanna spend 30+ bucks for one model, but love the models themselves. I'm looking for big, but lanky trolls, which I can turn into...ballerinas - don't ask questions please.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Here's a WIP image from my Hill Giants project. So much unlikely musculature, so much fake tan, so many big sticks!

Struggled a bit to get his far - did some conversions which I think on balance were more trouble than they were worth, and made the mistake of hand mixing slightly different skin tones rather than working straight from the bottle. These are a lot of surface area to cover with 3 or more base coats! I'm also learning that these models don't respond so well to my normal painting style because of the lack of texture (compared with the big Reaper Dragons, for example) The next stage of working on their skins is going to be interesting...

edited-image_zps83rlg9dd.jpg

Last edited:

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
I don't know how much it shows, but a lot more work on the skin and faces of these guys. Happy with how this is going, I need to do some work on the basing / display board concept next.

edited-image_zpse6wechjt.jpg

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Shortly a good friend took pics of all my stuff, with fitting background, professional camera and so on. I'm extremely happy with the first result he showed me, so I when the rest is done I can repost my whole army, which is something I'm urging to do since the great photobucket crisis of...I think...2015? '16? which had cost many of us nerves and tears xD
Most of you may have seen this guy before, when I posted him in one of the challenges, but here he is again, shining in new light if you want so :D So from now I'm working on a good way to present those new pics, besides finishing the goblin circus in the beginning of next year.

mMkGLgO.jpg

IluMyDF.jpg

YcRAfSJ.jpg

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Hexagonal base display board. 12 spaces for just 7 models so far, so I have some leeway over how to position them. Was going to be all 3mm MDF but the cork tile was much easier to cut to shape to fit around the bases.

edited-image_zpshqh8nqdj.jpg

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Theerteen seconding here, that IS indeed so cool! Maybe you should get some tips from that friend and share them for the betterment of the society! ;)

@Shadespyre those giants look super cool and mixed skintones make them look more interesting in my opinion ;) And that display board looks very interesting! What are you going to put there?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu