• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Tale of Painters - Tomb Kings

Painting all those bandages must be tiresome. But the result looks great! Can you tell us where those little model cacti on the ruins come from? Never seen these before! ^^

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Sharkbelly said:
Very nice. The little mummified cat is great!
Thanks!

Mr Saturday said:
Aw, that's a GREAT unit. Were I to do a tomb guard unit I'd do exactly the same thing. Nice conversion with the standard bearer. I see uyou've even got the old Heroquest mummy in there!
Mummies aren't cheap, but I think they still look great, glad you like it too :) They are a pain to rank though, that's why there's some ruins and a cat in the unit! And yes, there's 2 Heroquest mummies in there, and the "musician" (the singing mummy) is from a similar game from the same era, Dark World.

Constant Drachenfels said:
Painting all those bandages must be tiresome. But the result looks great! Can you tell us where those little model cacti on the ruins come from? Never seen these before! ^^

It was indeed. I did most of them by hand, but there's a few that were dry brushed (those that look whiter are dry brushed). They look much better when done by hand though ;)

And the Cactus are from Pegasus Hobbies.

*drools uncontrollably* Just read through this whole blog from the beginning and am super impressed! Love the conversions, love the the painting! Your Heirotitan is almost enough to make me want to start a TK army...

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Constant Drachenfels said:
4 Necro knights in one month sounds daunting. Just the accents on the dark blue of this one must have taken ages. :zombie: Looking great!
Thanks! The stone is quite simple to do, especially the tail as it's mostly just drybrush on :) But yeah 4 of them is a big goal for the month. My second one is nearly done (will post pics by the end of the week), so I'm halfway through.

NoisyAssassin said:
*drools uncontrollably* Just read through this whole blog from the beginning and am super impressed! Love the conversions, love the the painting! Your Heirotitan is almost enough to make me want to start a TK army...
Great, I'm glad you liked it xD

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Thanks, glad you like it :)

The month was short with only 28 days (didn't though about that beforehand), but I finished my unit on time!

Sorry for the not great pictures, but here's the completed unit;

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Sadly for march, not much as far as painting goes. My brush was dead when I was done with the unit, and I want a little break (that last unit was somewhat hardcore to get done in the month!).

I'll flock and paint some movement trays for my TK for sure (not really exciting :tongue:), but otherwise, nothing is planned. That mean I might jump between projects I have laying around, some greenstuff here, build some stuff there (have a box of the new Dragon Ogres that I particularily want to fiddle with), and might paint some random stuff that catch my fancy.

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
It is nice to see your beautiful kings once more, btw you inspired me to add a monthly pledge up. Thanks for the beautiful models and the inspiration.

Mioum

Crypt Horror
The past few months I've painted mostly non-TK related stuff for my pledges (wich allowed me to finally paint some VC :D), but I still had some project on the workbench for them!

So I present you;

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse Nehekhara!

Some of these were shown here before (see page 6), but now I've done all the horse ornaments. Now they look a bit more like characters, naked horses was a bit bland and not special enough ;)

This guy wasn't shown before as he wasn't finished at the time, so here's the mounted Liche with Lore of Light;

And while this guy is quite basic, I quite like the pose :)

This month pledge include some Liches (non-mounted), so I should have a few more painted models later :)

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Although I am happy to see you back to painting some Vampires (still looking forward to that coven throne!) I must say that the Tomb Kings have never looked so good. Seriously, everything in this plog looks amazing, and I really like the green theme. Those mummies are great, look forward to seeing some paint on your horsemen :thumbsup:

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Wooowwww

I don't think I ever see something you've done without being impressed :ghost: Especially involving greenstuff.

Just finished looking through this whole thread, and man... wow. You are certainly talented, and quite the inspiration! Tomb Kings have never looked so good. Keep up the great work!

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Thanks for all the kind words guys, really appreciated :)

This month painting pledge is over for me, I completed what I wanted to do. This month was dedicated to some characters, so I painted 4 Liche Priests, since, you know, I have to have at least one in every game! It help to have a good selection, when one perform badly he can stay in the foam for a while :tongue:

I also experimented with a brown edged for the bases, and I'm starting to like it a lot more than my regular bleached bone edges. I think that eventually I'll have to redo all my bases edge in that color :zombie:

But for now, on to the Liches!

First one I did, regular Liche;

The second one is also a regular Liche, but it's an old models that I decided to rework. Changed his staff and repainted him entirely;

Before

After

The third one is one of my Lore of Light Liche;

And to finish, I needed to counter the Light Liche, so I did a Lore of Death Liche;

That is all for now!

Mioum

Crypt Horror
My last update is quite a while back, but I'm now painting a bit more TK for the new year! Here's the first character of [I don't know how many] that I want to do this month!

Hope you enjoy!

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Superb choice of colours and a brilliant execution. I love the high contrast. It really makes the colours pop!

Keep up the great work!

u_m

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Many thanks u_m :)

I worked on two characters more or less simultaneously, so I was able to finish this one quickly. It's a very old scratch-built Tomb Prince, mainly made out of Zombie parts, but I repainted him so he can be more "pretty"!

Thindol

Grave Guard
I see what you're doing. I know what's going on. You're trying to make me break my brushes and quit painting since my skills have been invalidated....thanks...

On a side note, you rock!!! What colour did you use on the bases and the terrain piece you did? Did you just prime white and wash? No highlights?