• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

VC vs TK: why did you go for the Vampires?

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Yes, and the idea of a lone… man, who is not just immortal, but possesses great strength and curse combined… And this absolutely gothic Middle Ages style… But they are worth of each other, especially regarding great different films of theirs. Soon the vampires will have their new score, with new film with Luke Ewans going out :)

For me, I was on the edge, I really like both armies; in the end, it came down to a preference for gothic horror. I just prefer the setting and the aesthetic

Undead Egyptian style guys are cool but giant black wolves leaping through forests and ghost-like riders riding through walls to tear their enemies apart is just what undead is to me.

I've also always leaned more towards villainous armies and the tomb kings strike me as more of a noble and nicer undead than shambling hordes of zombies and carts filled with corpses.

This may sound weird but because Vampire Counts scare me more...well not the models but the themes as a whole. I can never watch a zombie movie (yes even shawn of the dead) without a week of nightmares, I remember being almost paralysed with fear when I played Resident Evil Code Veronica X and those zombie dogs burst our from under that building. The dark image of death (Cairn Wraith style) horsemen of the apocalypse (Hex Wraith style) and blood things make me feel really weak and queasy, even just talking about them, like the vampire bite, just thinking about it now gives me shudders. But this is why I like VCs, I love the weak, frightened sensation I feel when I think of the things that comprise the army, it terrifies me but then having them on my side, painting them, caring for the models, I feel a kind of bond with them and a joy from making them as scary as I can but think of them more like friends so its like being friends with more than a decade of nightmares, things that once (and still do) make you hide under your cover, snuggling up to a teddy or pillow at night, trying not to imagine but are now your most loyal friends who will trust your every word unconditonally and will hold out exactly as long as you need them to (Its uncanny, it doesn't happen with any other army, but with my VCs things always perform amazing when I need it to, on a last clutch a unit will crumble or hold on even a single model depending on what my strategy needs, my opponent will fail fear only at crucial points and ghaa! I just feel such a bond with these guys I don't care if you think I'm crazy xD no one can replace my undead, VC or TK it doesn't matter I love the Undead Legions!

Mainly because I searched undead warhammer and it came up with VC and not TK, I had been out of the loop for so long I forgot they existed when I started buying my figures. I don't really like the aesthetic of TK either tbh.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Not really facing my fears, it all still completely terrifies me (or in the case of vampires makes my body weak) but its more befriending my fears, its unbelievably hard to explain XP
That's one of the ways actually. When you fear to face them, command them. Be one of them, lead them to war. So you do and that's also a possible variant, though valiant and fierce Blood Dragons could not respect that very much, maybe.

That's one of the ways actually. When you fear to face them, command them. Be one of them, lead them to war. So you do and that's also a possible variant, though valiant and fierce Blood Dragons could not respect that very much, maybe.
The Blood Dragons...was that one of the Vampire clans? I only joined fantasy in 8th so don't know their history or family variants much. I only know a lil about the Lahmia, but I guess you're right, although I'm at the stage where I'm happy after I've had terrible nightmares, especially when they feel super real,maybe I'm just weird but does anyone else get that? xD

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
The Blood Dragons...was that one of the Vampire clans?
Indeed it was. The Blood Knights article in the army book pretty covers the subject in general :)
maybe I'm just weird but does anyone else get that? xD
I do. I know what you feel. You must not only get inside it, but become the part of it. Not only command them, but be one of them. Undead armies can't be lead by those who fear them and are not a part of them. Be the Vampire they need. In every sense of the word.

@Menkeroth So are the Blood Dragons former Brettonian Knights like the Blood Knights then? And I didn't mean like getting into the role of the undead, I meant enjoying nightmares (after the initial terrified waking up that is)

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
@Menkeroth So are the Blood Dragons former Brettonian Knights like the Blood Knights then?
Not exactly. The Blood Dragons are the descendants of Abhorash, trying to behave like their master. One of them, Walach Harkon, turned an entire knightly order into the Vampires - of course, behaving like the Blood Dragons. They are fierce, proud and fearless, capable of charging through the storm of bolts and bullets and slaughter entire regiments of foes.
@Menkeroth
And I didn't mean like getting into the role of the undead, I meant enjoying nightmares (after the initial terrified waking up that is)
But you should. Don't just enjoy, but command them and lead them just as one of them, but be the best of them.

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
One of my favorite bits of the End Times fluff, actually. Harkon and the Knights of Blood Keep succumbing to bloodlust and effectively throwing in their lot with Khorne. Such a cool battle.

Huh. I've been lurking around for years, and I never responded to this thread? Could have swore I did.
Well, let's take a moment and hop into the ways back machine.

It all started on a warm June day. The year was 1979.
Wait. Too far back. Let's fast forward - try about 18, 19 years.
So, a friend of mine had me watch Army of Darkness. I don't know what it was, but something about the shambling skeletons laying siege to the castle just clicked with me. It was less than a year later, and I had jumped onto 5th Edition WHFB, and grabbed the Undead book. Memory serving me right, Necromancers were the best spell casters out of the three. Auto-recast, the largest number of spells known... and being 5th edition, they had a "Lord" level stat line, so they were still pretty boss in close combat. Not nearly as good as a Vampire, but let's just sat Heinrich Kemmler's Chaos Tomb blade was actually a solid weapon back then, rather than just a quaint bonus it had become in later editions.
Well, the great Undead Split of 5th Edition happened, just before 6th. And suddenly my army was torn in two! Well, okay. It wasn't that bad. At the time I didn't have enough models to worry about the stuff removed. With the exception of a single Carrion model (which, as I look back at it, was a HORRIBLE model) everything I had shuffled straight into Vampire Counts. That's where my necromancers went. Now I was a bit disappointed because I could no longer have a Master Necromancer commanding my army of the night. Nope, I *had* to have a Vampire. But, it was there that I was solidly in the Vampire Counts camp. So long as necromancers remained tied to that list, I remained with the army. While I am still more of a necromancer over vampire person, I have grown to appreciate the undead masters of Sylvania a bit more. (As for the other bloodlines, pretenders, all of them.)

As a final thought - The Undead Legions list from Nagash made my day. Seeing the army back as one was nice. Even if Settra was not in it.

This is really a cool idea for a topic!
When I started back in WHFB1 it was just undead. I found myself collecting a figure here and there untill the orig. regiments of renown. I bought the box of the nightmare legion and was hooked( still have it ) when we split and became two differnt groups it was the call of the old world gothic that I decided to follow. The story of vlad and his reign was cool and although the lahmians sounded like a fun background, ( although never really supported rule wise ) I stayed with vlad and the drakenholf guard. At one time we had rules for human bondsmen to fight alongside the undead. Even with the dawn of AOS, I'm still painting drackenholf.

Oh this one is easy, for me it's all about the hobby. VC are "wet" undead and TK are "dry". I wanted to paint, convert and collect a wet army with plenty of dead flesh and blood.

TK are also awesome. My mate has them and I get jealous of his bone giant (not giant bone, don't go there), chariots and skull catapault but then he doesn't have terrorgheists, zombies and ghouls.

Oh this one is easy, for me it's all about the hobby. VC are "wet" undead and TK are "dry". I wanted to paint, convert and collect a wet army with plenty of dead flesh and blood.

TK are also awesome. My mate has them and I get jealous of his bone giant (not giant bone, don't go there), chariots and skull catapault but then he doesn't have terrorgheists, zombies and ghouls.
One of the things I do like about hthe new rules, ive broke out ALOT of the old stuff like archers ;)

Frankly, I was drawn to Vampire Counts based on the short bits of fiction I wrote when I was younger. Plus, I have always been the "Horde Guy" among my friends as to Warhammer Fantasy.

I haven't had a chance to look over a VC codex, but I find myself to be more passionate about the tomb kings fluff wise (I mean I think ancient Egypt is just kinda one of my favorite ancient civs.) however, the vampire counts ability to summon the endless hordes of the damned to slowly drag their foes screaming into oblivion and undead servitude is just badass. Plus, they fit my play-style, making chaff out of nothing. Though I have both armies, the VC's are more appealing, as opposed to the tomb kings, who tend to just buff their soldiers with magic. While the principles are the same, I find the liberty of summoning new chaff to be so much more, well, liberating.