• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Your Favorite Mortarch?

Who's your favorite Mortarch?

• Total voters

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
All her behavior is based upon typical things women do - I guess, even vampires have to obey nature rules :)

Let's not fall into the gamer stereotype and start making generalizations about women.
That's a sound advice.

All her behavior is based upon typical things women do - I guess, even vampires have to obey nature rules :)
Of course, we could debate if it was GW's intention to give such personality traits to Neferata bacause those match their idea of feminine behavior.
In the same way the name Heinrich Kemmler was clearly inspired by a certain historical figure, which GW believed to be appropriate if used for an evil Lichemaster, rather than used for a noble knight of Bretonnia…

But i'd rather leave untouched the argument. ;)

Can anyone give us a list of who the current mortarchs are? Supposedly Nagash always has nine, but I don't think he's had the full compliment since The End Times, right?

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Neferata, of blood; Mannfred, of night; Arkhan, of sacrament; Olinder, of grief (the coming one), and that's all for today. Nagash is clearly not in a hurry gathering all of them, it seems he has not yet made up names for all of them :D

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
UPDATED POLL WITH NEW MORTARCH - LADY OLYNDER, MORTARCH OF GRIEF

Please note that you can choose to change your vote if you want to

back in the day he was bad, true, but now he is a demigod of immense powers. He defeated Sigmar and Nagash (the latter being defeated two times in a row), conquered most of the mortal realms and controls the Eightpoints which means all the hard-won victories of late are nothing while Eightpoints remain in his power. Sigmar may dream of ruling all over the realms alone but he knows he never succeeds while Archaon lives and he fears him to the point he never takes to the field while Archaon, destroyer of countless worlds, is as a feared warrior as he is a general.
IMO, whilst it is a good that Chaos seem a more credible thread in the AoS, I'd have much preferred for a new big bad to have been created. I felt that Archaon's arc ended with him succeeding in destroyed in the Old World. I feel like he doesn't really have any further facets to his character or development now really

Let's not fall into the gamer stereotype and start making generalizations about women.
Agreed :thumbsup:

Supposedly Nagash always has nine
That's correct, and Nagash has always favoured lack of change. So hopefully more Mortarchs would be created, but saying that, GW doesn't seem to want to create as many special characters as it used to, so I'm not sure if this would happen.

Be a good future twist though if he created them, only for them to turn on Nagash and imprison him, taking over the rule of Shyish and the dead themselves.

GW - if you're reading - this was my idea first!!

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
IMO, whilst it is a good that Chaos seem a more credible thread in the AoS, I'd have much preferred for a new big bad to have been created. I felt that Archaon's arc ended with him succeeding in destroyed in the Old World. I feel like he doesn't really have any further facets to his character or development now really
Well, they needed to rely on some good old characters for players, so Archaon was a reliable choice, I guess. But I agree that he is not that different from him in the past save for his powers, and maybe that is what GW wanted in the first place, because Evil needs to be a faceless and terrible threat and Archaon never takes off his helmet but is always ready to come and crush your party.

Be a good future twist though if he created them, only for them to turn on Nagash and imprison him, taking over the rule of Shyish and the dead themselves.
Nagash suffered already much, only now he became a member of the Real Respected Boys club, so let him have his moment of triumph at least once.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I just picked up the nighthaunt & soul wars book. Will possibly change my vote after finishing them, though it would take a lot to topple Arkhan as my personal favorite. And I do want to re-iterate that I really do love all of the mortarchs so far. I wish the writers would give Neferata more to do. I guess her spotlight will have to wait for a future Soulblight army book, maybe. But in terms of personality and character, they're all great, and I expect Olynder will be too.

In game terms... well, sadly they all seem kind of overshadowed by a generic Vamp Lord on Zombie Dragon. They're just not as durable as one would expect the immortal lieutenants of the god of death to be. I'd personally gladly pay more points on any of them for +5 wounds and some extra protection from mortals, or for some sort of bodyguard unit. Would be nice if grave guard or archai had such an ability. Ah, well, none of them are bad exactly either, so I really shouldn't complain.

As for their number, the Nighthaunt Battletome stated outright that there are NOT always nine. It's a number nagash has favored in the past, possibly due to the number nine being associated with arcane power in warhammer land on account of being the favored number of tzeentch. But at the time of Olynder's choosing, there were now canonically only three other mortarchs.

That could of course be retconed later, and Nagash can always elevate new mortarchs, or recall previous ones from the depths of his memory, but for the moment we have clear canon that there are not currently any other mortarchs out wandering the perifery. Krell is not currently kicking about, despite implications made in the old death alliance book. Vlad isn't waiting in the shadows, etc.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
He surely will have more in the future, and it seems there will be at least one for each Death faction.