• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2011
I think the twilight thing is kinda funny actually, I can always get a good groan out of my friends if I tell them I'm about to field Vlad von Cullen =P

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
It's a vampire-related forum, so the current popular terrible version of vampires gets some extra hate.

You may not like MLP, but if you don't it's a matter of personal taste (or perfectly understandable hype backlash). The Twilight series, though... yeah. I'm content to not think about it most of the time, but it really is a shame that Stephenie Meyer is the one who somehow inherited the tween reading wave after Rowling. The series really is despicable on just about every level. I'm glad that tween / teen girls are getting to flex some market influence, they deserve more attention from media outlets, but it's a real shame that this kind of anti-human schlock is what's going to be targeted at them for the next long while. I mean, by the end of the series its endorsing child grooming. There are no words, but that doesn't mean I won't hand you a twelve page essay trying to find some.

I'll just say that if I hear the words "twilight" and "sparkle" in the same sentence, there had better be ponies involved, or you're probably in for a rant. :p

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 26, 2007
Grish said:
So much Twilight hate. Can't people just leave be...? I don't watch My Little Pony either, but I don't go off hating about it. I would swear half the people on the forum were personally sodomized by Stephenie Meyer...
I don't see why it’s a bad thing that the gothic horror universe expands so teenage girls can feel at home too. If you didn’t like it, you’re probably wasn’t target audience.

Grish said:
Any idea if they'll bring back the older vampires (the ones that used to cost a Hero and a Lord slot)?
Nothing in the rumours support the comeback of the true vampire lords.

Update: there will be no new releases of the fairly new models - Dire Wolves, Grave Guards, Skellies, Ghouls and Blood Knights (Blood Knights go to finecast).

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mar 3, 2008
Rotterdam
I'm really interested in the new plastic cavalry. Seeing that Blood Knights are now Finecast my guess would have been Black Knights but I've read somewhere that they are not called that. So either we get a new cavalry unit on top of the other rumored ones or they have been renamed(hopefully the latter).

I haven't read any rumors about new zombies but I'd love a new plastic kit. I hate the current ones so much I don't even use them and add up to that the complete uselessness rules-wise...hopefully both will be taken care of.

I'd rather see them clean up the list and horrible old models we already got instead of simply adding new units as a sort of shiny object so we forget about the bad stuff.

I am looking forward to a new army book but I'm also slightly worried seeing the other army books that have come out. The lack of unique magic items is one thing I really dislike.

I'm also generally concerned about Undead seeing the 8th edition Fear rules and the instability. These wouldn't be so much of a problem with reduced point costs but it still doesn't fix the actual issue if they'd simply reduce costs. Looking at Tomb Kings I feel worry creep on me.
Especially considering magic. TK's magic was basically killed, they had this unique style and now it's just like any other army. As Undead we need raise spells to keep our armies going. Granted it went overboard in 7th but since the new edition we have been suffering...a lot.
Not even rules-wise but fluff-wise I want the feel of a raised army to can keep growing bit by bit or make that corpse by corpse. Make zombies able to "turn" kills into more zombies on a 5+ or something like that.

GW also seems to throw in big monsters with added punch in every single damn army book(and codex where every army now has its own flying tank of doom) but I don't want to have to add big monsters or monstrous infantry/whatever just to build a competitive list because my Core choices suck(not in the way our Lords and Heroes suck).

This new book could go either way really.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
My understanding was the plastic cav box was to be dual kit - almost assuredly Black knights (possibly with another name), and then some new cavalry option. Some people are hoping for LOTR-esque mounted wraiths, but imo skeleton horsemen seems more likely, and would certainly be a boon for Blood Dragon players looking for a thematically appropriate core choice. On the other hand, with the way the 8th ed combat rules work, I sort of wonder what such a unit would hope to contribute to a battle. Melee skeleton horsemen (as opposed to horse archers) in the tomb kings book don't really seem to do much other then supply a mobile bunker for a mounted lich in faster, charriot-based armies.

That's all speculation, though. Finecast blood knights and plastic, dual kit cav is the rumor, there isn't anything more specific that that that's been confirmed by reliable sources, as far as I've heard, unless Hastings posted something on Warseer today.

Lots of people are hoping for new zombies, but I haven't heard any rumors of the kind. The new models aren't bad (lots of character, like the old skellies), but they're certainly dated, styalistically.

We already got a big monster, I don't think they're going to push that much further (well, apart from whatever the new wagons are), and they're hardly necessary to us. Some of the big monsters seem ott (arachnaroch, for instance), and the tomg kings did suffer from having poor coor infantry options, which pushes them towards a monster mash set up, though it's hardly the only route they can take, and their own monsters aren't really anything I would call 'dominating'. From what I can tell, 8th is still an infantry block's game.

Alucard

Ghoul
Jun 9, 2008
TEXAS
I think the duel cav kit might be a ghostly cavalry that replaces spirit hosts, just ethereal horsemen with human stats. The new black knights (with a possible twist) would be the other build. That would give us 'fast' cav, heavy cav, and super heavy. It would also 86 spirthosts, which IMO, are not a well liked choice. Now if they released a mounted wraith hero model that could join the ghostly cavalry unit that would be something. Skeletal warriors on skelesteeds is to TK.

Corpse Gatherer

Skeleton
Dec 8, 2010
Manchester
Alucard said:
I think the duel cav kit might be a ghostly cavalry that replaces spirit hosts

I cant see why they would get rid of spirit horsts, there one of the things weve had since we were still warhammer: undead, theyre a perfectly viable option ive a little pricey. The models are dated but easily fixed by using the army of the dead from LOTR.

Uziel

Vargheist
Aug 29, 2011
I think it will be a bit strange if they remove the Spirit Hosts, and then add some sort of Spirit Host Cavalry.. Just seems a bit odd that most "Ghosts" would have steeds as well...
I don't mind a spirit cavalry as such, but it becomes odd if there are no infantry counterpart.

Sceadu Cille

Skeleton
May 30, 2008
hmmm new monster infantry , cav , two possible carts . sounds like our special and rare are getting overflowed including the TG . hopefully most of them fall under special . maybe we will get lucky and one of the cav will be core but with some special rule that makes them worth taking .

Hansol

Skeleton
Aug 25, 2011
Think its a good idea to wait with building my 80 ghouls (allready done 20 rest still sealed in box) with 40 GG (sealed) dont wanne have a full painted up ghoul army that will be nerf...?

anyone?

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
It's possible, sadly GW have in the past nerfed previously good units to the point of unplayability, sometimes as a overreaction to people previously saying they were over powered.

Certainly instead of buying new models at the moment I would put the money aside until Jan and see what the new book hopefully brings us.

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
I don't see ghouls or GG being one of those units. Tomb Guard didn't change and our GG have looked more or less identical from the start.
The only difference for VC core units is likely to be cheaper skeletons and that's it. The more likely target for change is characters, some odd specials and the rare choices. Since GW already have made minis for ghouls, skeletons and GG a big shift in these units would be strange, again, with the exception of skeletons who is extremely likely to see a big drop in points. 100% speculation on my part but were it me and I wanted to play some WHFB with VC I wouldn't wait two months. You will, at one point or another, use all of the models listed. Don't hate me if I am wrong xD

Aug 15, 2011
If you look at GW's past few army books and codexes it would seem that the shift is to bring back some of the old school feel for the armies while injecting some new ideas to make then unique. An example would the shock attack gun being put back into space orcs or the pfp rule in the dark eldar codex. Now we can't use the TK or the OK books as a true judge of what is going to be coming, as how they both only had one book before 8th. I'd say if you want to guess what we have coming you got to go back to 4th ed and see what got removed that isn't in the TK book.

eggsPR

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 28, 2011
Dublin
Disciple of Nagash said:
Certainly instead of buying new models at the moment I would put the money aside until Jan and see what the new book hopefully brings us.

Exactly why I'm postponing buying a box dire wolves for deployment fodder.

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 26, 2007
Disciple of Nagash said:

Danceman said:
I don't see ghouls or GG being one of those units. Tomb Guard didn't change and our GG have looked more or less identical from the start. Since GW already have made minis for ghouls, skeletons and GG a big shift in these units would be strange

N.I.B said:
Update: there will be no new releases of the fairly new models - Dire Wolves, Grave Guards, Skellies, Ghouls and Blood Knights

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
They mean in terms of effectiveness; yes, no new direwolves will be released, but are they still going to be a junk unit with not much use?

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
I feel like there's a lot of junk units with not much use, be it their points cost or how crumble to dust works with combat res now. I'm looking forward to new units and models, but I kinda wish our book was coming out later. I was hoping for a change in the combat res rule before we were stuck with a book for another handful of years.

Baslakor

Wight King
May 7, 2008
Tomb of Berkel
About the core units:

I believe the skeletons will indeed be dropped in points and be made more useful. This because not only they need it, but also because people have to buy more skeletons ($ for GW).

I also believe there will be new zombies. The old zombies are out of date and the corpscart already shows us a new style. Most people don't have zombiemodels (or at least are not buying new ones) so if GW would make new models and make them useful, it is more $ for GW.

The ghouls are quite strong atm and people already have a lot of them, so I do not think GW will pay a lot of attention to the gouls, maybe nerfing them a bit (like making them alive again), so the other core is a bit stronger in comparison.

This would mean we would have 3 useful core units and GW would be making more coins...

Likely theory?

eggsPR

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 28, 2011
Dublin
Grish said:
They mean in terms of effectiveness; yes, no new direwolves will be released, but are they still going to be a junk unit with not much use?

True. Yeah I'm not holding out for new units. Rather, I'm holding out bc I may buy what may come out instead of dire wolves. I've lasted this long without them, perhaps I'll never buy them, and most likely won't unless GW makes them worth the points (in my opinion).

Although I cannot freakin wait to hear more about this monstrous calvary unit that is rumored... Chances are that I'd much rather deploy whatever that may be over dire puppies.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Too bad you didn't play with them last edition. They were just excellent; Frenzy had to charge, redirection was easier, they were fast cav so their movement was incredible... very versatile unit. Now they're junk, used only as cheap deployment, and somewhat redirection around the flanks.

Uziel

Vargheist
Aug 29, 2011
Pladvoncarstein said:
Enough about the good stuff thats coming what do you all think will be nerfed?

The first that comes to mind is the Ghouls and the Black Coach.

The Ghouls are in a risky spot, because if Skellies and zombies don't become a lot better, players will still field the Ghouls as today, and we will see little change in the armies being fielded by competitive players. I hope they become "alive!" again, but not Skirmishers.

The Black Coach because it's special ability to absorb magic has become A LOT more dangerous now in 8.ed then what it was originally in 7.ed.

As a side note, I hope they change the Blood Knights a bit as well, by removing the Frenzy and instead just adding +1 attack instead, or addint the Devastating Charge special rule. Makes lances a bit more fitting on them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu