And? Lord of the Rings also has such features, but it's not "dark fantasy". It's a bullshit, sorry for such words.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fantasy what was that?
dude Beastmen would skin dudes alive and rape women to death, the Witch King was banging his own mom, Orcs could tear a man to pieces with their bare hands and Chaos Won that's pretty dark and grim
It matters not, and no, it's not a dark fantasy in the slightest. "Dark" could be called Wiedzmin or Game of Thrones, but not WH.Lord of the Rings didn't have incest in it, and Warhammer very much is a Dark Fantasy setting your in denial kid
No, he made it not. I will repeat if necessary, that "grim and dark" means more complex things, i.e. atmosphere, plot or mythology, and none of this is present in WHFB. WH 40k has these features, but not WHFB.also slaneesh by himself made Warhammer dark fantsy
I disagree Age of sigmar works out of the box, it may not work the way you want it to but it does indeed work out of the box. GW traded list building prior to a game to list building during the deployment, you can drop counters for units they play, you can set up synergies and counterstrikes they may not be aware of, or may overlook, there is still the ability to hone your ability to play opponents, but it is a more dynamic honing, you have to truly understand how your units match against what the opponent drops.
The 8th edition point system wasn't well balanced either, and was arguablly pay to win as well, oh dark elves are the new op faction, well pick them up and smash face, witch elves were 50 for 10, and if you can afford to buy a large unit you can easily overwhelm your opponent, who may not have 200 to drop on a single unit. I have been playing Tomb Kings in 8th and I can tell you from experience, bringing the same point value of tomb kings as warriors of chaos, does gaurauntee an even or balanced game, GW simply is now hanging the threay of a sudden death objective over your opponents heads. It's not perfect but as already stated, neither was 8th edition, as the 2 seperate comp systems that arose testify to.
The lack of flank/rear is the worst argument to make, in 8th edition a flank or rear rarely made a difference, +1/+2 CR with stubborn/steadfast units rerolling high leadership rarely had an impact on the game.
...base overlapping is the stupidest thing in the world....
And, it hasn't been AoS posts attacking KoW posts, is been the other way around. Just for the record.
Only reason I bring up my time playing is to provide comfort. My point isn't too hang my experience over anyone, is that if someone like me who has been playing WFB the same way for 25 years can give AoS a chance than most can.
Also, just reading the rules can't give you the hands on moments where you start setting the subtle interactions at work. When I saw it and read the rules I felt like Warhammer was dead. The more I play it the more complex tactics are surfacing. As the weeks go by I can tell who is trying it and who isn't by their deciding it an empty skirmish game, because it's not. The game rewards regimental tactics and is balanced through deployment instead of points. I'm actually surprised some of the people who are on here that live tactical games aren't giving AoS a shot yet, especially since there is such positive statements about it surfacing more and more.
But to each their own. Personally, let's all keep playing 8th as our common game. We can ignore Archeon comp and end times magic, keep using the battlescribe files I lovingly put countless hours into and then there are those beautiful handbooks Sunny and I wrote with the support of the entire community here. That's the vampire counts forum comraderie I want to see.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fantasy what was that?
dude Beastmen would skin dudes alive and rape women to death, the Witch King was banging his own mom, Orcs could tear a man to pieces with their bare hands and Chaos Won that's pretty dark and grim
A Dark fantesy setting is a standard fantasy setting meets Crapsack world which is Warhammer in spades it was a setting locked in an age of endless war for fucks sake. and Bloodbowl was a alternate reality of the warhammer world. And we are spamming now
I agree with all your points and want to keep 8th alive too. Only one I disagree with is myself going into KoW threads and pushing AoS. I've purposely avoided commenting on KoW, until I was directly asked, and each time I took the position of hey each their own, here is my personal opinion. I haven't put any posts promoting AoS in a KoW thread.This is not a personal attack so please don't take it that way but you yourself have made comments. I'm not about to wade through pages of threads to locate them as I've already spent far too much time browsing as it is. You've called those who won't try AoS "stubborn" among other things and it was you who went into the first KoW thread telling people to try AoS, which was irrelevant to the topic. Again, please don't take offense, I am honestly saying this because it pertains to what we are discussing.
As I've said in my previous post, the majority of vets on other forums (and this one as well as Mr. West has pointed out) are staying away from the new system. They have as much or slightly less experience than you do, some may have only been around for a decade or so but reading through the rules a few times and looking at various armies' warscrolls is all the analysis one needs to come to a decision about AoS. A player can see enough play out in his head without actually having to playtest as it's far easier to do so the way the new system is.
No, I won't see every single nuance of the game but I've seen far more than enough to make my judgment. I even played four matches and watched a few at another club. Everything I believed after perusing the rules turned out to be (unsurprisingly) true after playing it. I really don't want to list all the reasons why I dislike AoS because they've been talked about by plenty of others all over the WH forums and I've already moved on. I stayed quiet on CN for the most part aside from posting various comps I found and "liking" some comments here and there. I only jumped in now because there were things that had to be addressed.
I want to see the camaraderie come back as well but all of us need to take a breath, check what we've typed and remove the insults and condescending remarks from our posts before Replying. This was the greatest forum on the net and it was a refuge from other sites where moderators didn't care what happened on their watch and I wasn't shot to death for the advice I gave on army lists. Things have been bumpy of late but I know we can right the ship. CN is one of the most popular forums for GW gaming (because vampires are cooler than everyone else...except for Tomb Kings, no one is cooler than Tomb Kings) and is definitely one of the more active ones today. You, Sun and Demian put a ton of work into your Guides to which we are all very grateful. We have a lot of friendly helpful people here and we can definitely keep 8th alive alongside AoS.
[...]
For the record, and you can ask the other mods, I've been supportive of KoW and the members who want to play it. My position is we keep 8th alive as our shared system, with AoS and KoW being each groups "other" game.
8th is a dead system. We can keep it on life support, but without official support it will wither away like Warmaster, Necromunda, Battlefleet Gothic, and all the other specialty games eventually did. There will be no FLGS owners or GW managers pimping WHFB 8th. Models will need to be sourced from a variety of sources. It's a pipe dream.
So far as I can see, there are only two real paths forward for people in this hobby who want to keep using their undead armies. One is Kings of War. One is Age of Sigmar. Each has their aspects that appeal to different folks, and neither is going to be able to capture everything that WHFB meant to people.
The community is going to fracture. I'm seeing it in my local meta, and hearing it happening in communities all over the world. And seeing it happen here. No good can come from fighting it...only from figuring out how to move forward and salvage as much of this sense of community as we can.
Whether it's Age of Sigmar, Kings of War, or some kind of WHFB Classic, we all share love for the same undead aesthetic. The same general style. I think it's worth saving this community, even if it becomes a community for a score of different games. Especially since it is possible to use our same miniatures across all of these different games.
So why don't we embrace that and start creating some new sections for these new games? Age of Sigmar, Kings of War, Warhammer Classic. Keep a shared general discussion board, shared hobby/painting logs, but separate the tactics, rules, etc.
Put the slaves to the lash! The black pyramid must be finished if our overlord is to be roused once more!
I agree with all your points and want to keep 8th alive too. Only one I disagree with is myself going into KoW threads and pushing AoS. I've purposely avoided commenting on KoW, until I was directly asked, and each time I took the position of hey each their own, here is my personal opinion. I haven't put any posts promoting AoS in a KoW thread.
For the record, and you can ask the other mods, I've been supportive of KoW and the members who want to play it.
The next White Dwarf issue will feature the forces of Death. Dunno if anyone clocked that yet. Definitely one the denizens of CN will want to watch out for I imagine.
...if someone loved the values of Warhammer-That-Was enough they could potentially build a game dedicated in it's honor. I doubt it'd be a terribly successful business, but it could be a worthy community pet project, much like how some of the specialist games persist even still.