• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Nov 11, 2013
Sehnde, Niedersachsen
Apparently the malign portents campaign is affecting generic Age of Sugar, for even players who aren't participating in the campaign, which is pretty neat. It's kinda like D&D meets Warhammer.
Yes, and not for the first time, just more than it was with the Season of War and Seeds of Hope. As it should be.
Interesting article...
Indeed, although the author does not know what he is talking about mixing everything together. But not bad in terms of conclusions.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
I do like that the second week of the dread solstice campaign actually lives up to the conceptual promise of opaque results. As a supporter of Nagash, I genuinely don't know which omen to vote for this time around, unlike in the first week when it was very transparent (drake = good guys, eye = non-nagash bad guys, skull = nagash). This week, though? Hard to say. Secrets are revealed, righteous revolutionaries are seeking justice while autocrats who ruled through deception try to stamp them out, and on the sidelines people are gathering secrets and omens to use later. With the talk of souls of seers diverted from the path to shyish, it almost made me think skull was once again the right choice for the undead, but then again Nagash's main aim in the early part of this campaign is to suppress knowledge for as long as possible, so then maybe eye instead? But eye is also reinforcing the hierarchy in Order's societies so maybe disruption via Drake is best?

It's confusing and opaque, but then again that's the entire thematic through-line of malign portents and dread solstice, so it feels very immersive, if a little bit frustrating, that the actions we can take may be clear, but the outcomes they'll have absolutely aren't.

Reactions: Menkeroth

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
I do like that the second week of the dread solstice campaign actually lives up to the conceptual promise of opaque results. As a supporter of Nagash, I genuinely don't know which omen to vote for this time around, unlike in the first week when it was very transparent (drake = good guys, eye = non-nagash bad guys, skull = nagash). This week, though? Hard to say. Secrets are revealed, righteous revolutionaries are seeking justice while autocrats who ruled through deception try to stamp them out, and on the sidelines people are gathering secrets and omens to use later. With the talk of souls of seers diverted from the path to shyish, it almost made me think skull was once again the right choice for the undead, but then again Nagash's main aim in the early part of this campaign is to suppress knowledge for as long as possible, so then maybe eye instead? But eye is also reinforcing the hierarchy in Order's societies so maybe disruption via Drake is best?

It's confusing and opaque, but then again that's the entire thematic through-line of malign portents and dread solstice, so it feels very immersive, if a little bit frustrating, that the actions we can take may be clear, but the outcomes they'll have absolutely aren't.
I think stamping out the revolutionaries is the right choice for Nagash, as it means more dead.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK

It's an interesting take on the end of Warhammer, but I find the author excessively critical of Tolkien. As an adult, I am still rather fond of high fantasy, so I think that the article makes too many assumptions about peoples' preferences without the evidence to support making such points. In addition, Age of Sigmar still has a long way to go to match the richness of the Warhammer World in terms of the narrative, although some progress is being made with Malign Portents.

Apparently the malign portents campaign is affecting generic Age of Sugar, for even players who aren't participating in the campaign, which is pretty neat. It's kinda like D&D meets Warhammer.
https://malignportents.com/campaign-narrative/

I didn't appreciate that it was going to be so interactive with options to vote for. That's a very pleasant surprise. It makes me wish that I were actually playing.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Nov 11, 2013
Sehnde, Niedersachsen
It's an interesting take on the end of Warhammer, but I find the author excessively critical of Tolkien. As an adult, I am still rather fond of high fantasy, so I think that the article makes too many assumptions about peoples' preferences without the evidence to support making such points.
Agree, the author is too emotional and mixes the terms up, because he clearly does not know what is what. But that's expectable.
In addition, Age of Sigmar still has a long way to go to match the richness of the Warhammer World in terms of the narrative, although some progress is being made with Malign Portents.
It would be silly to compare 4 and 20+ years of development, but AoS now is far reacher in everything than WHFB was when it was young, and considering how fast GW is producing new things and books, it will take a few more years to have more fluff than everything else.

El Syf

Vargheist
Dec 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Morathi should be more expensive than Nagash unless I've missed something crucial, also kind of wish mortal wounds was reserved for characters/monsters. Everything seems to dish them out nowadays and as it stands
we have no shooting units that aren't from the compendium tomb king war scrolls. I like moaning although since Lon release I've won my last 3 battles against sylvaneth ironbark, so shouldn't really complain I suppose.

Reactions: Menkeroth

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
Morathi should be more expensive than Nagash unless I've missed something crucial, also kind of wish mortal wounds was reserved for characters/monsters. Everything seems to dish them out nowadays and as it stands
we have no shooting units that aren't from the compendium tomb king war scrolls. I like moaning although since Lon release I've won my last 3 battles against sylvaneth ironbark, so shouldn't really complain I suppose.
Apparently, any wounds that small Morathi takes before transforming, she carries over as double when she transforms. So if she has taken 3 wounds and then transforms, she'll count as having taken six wounds. Not sure how that mechanic works exactly, i.e. if the doubling of wounds counts as taking wounds, but it's quite powerful for the opponent.

Irisado

Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
It would be silly to compare 4 and 20+ years of development, but AoS now is far reacher in everything than WHFB was when it was young, and considering how fast GW is producing new things and books, it will take a few more years to have more fluff than everything else.

In some ways, but there is still a valid comparison. The original Warhammer Fantasy rulebook was packed full of narrative, along with the rules, which was more developed that Age of Sigmar's lore at the same stage. I would point out that a lot of the early lore for Fantasy wasn't necessarily very good, in my opinion, and that the early lore for Age of Sigmar is written more convincingly, but it just, so far, doesn't have the appeal of the Old World. Time will tell as to whether this is going to change.

Reactions: brr-icy

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Nov 11, 2013
Sehnde, Niedersachsen
Well, this is too subjective and can't be a criterion for evaluating. I, for one, am glad it's not the same pseudo-Europe,too dull and inspiring, hundreds of such settings exist. High fantasy appeals much more, what we have seen even in the 8th edition, with wood elves or vampire counts or dreadfleet. There it seemed out of place but here would be right where it needs to be. Of all high fantasy settings I know AoS is certainly one of the most unique and inspiring.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
In the meantime, Adepticon blesses us with Forbidden Power, in which we'll find new endless spells usable by any army, representing the dark magics of Shyish unleashed during the Soul Wars. Pretty cool models.

Irisado

Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
It looks and sounds very much like it. That voice sounds a bit like Settra, but I would be surprised if that is who it turns out to be.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu